Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Discuss a new Trading Forum

Post by Rockn-Roll » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 pm

OK...so the original thread in the TF2 forum got overloaded and we made this separate subforum and restricted the threads to 1 per member. If we want an item we still need to read through individual posts...actually it's worse...before we just needed to read the last page or two, but now we would need to read every post in the forum.

I suggest that we have two subforums instead of one. One subforum would be TF2 Wanted and the other TF2 For Sale...still restricted to one per member, but then if we wanted to sell or buy then all we need to do is use the built-in Forum Search feature.

For example, yesterday I finally had enough refined metal (4x) to make a hat. After some study I decided on The Attendent so I can have the Gas Jockey. I also did not have the Power Jack...all I had was the Degreaser.

Here's the problem...I didn't bother looking in this forum for the hat or Power Jack because I'd have to open and read every thread in this forum to see if someone has a Power Jack or The Attendent available. If there was a forum that I could search to see if an item was available then I would use it.

So...I went ahead and smelted 12 Vintage weapons to get the Reclaimed necessary to create two Power Jacks from two Vintage Axtinguishers...the 2nd Power Jack went on to be crafted into The Attendent. Forum Failure! Opinions? Action?
Let's Rock!

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Discuss a new Trading Forum

Post by Fano » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I find that the easiest way to get specific weapons is to just hop on a server and ask if someone has a spare that they can trade 1:1 for your spare, it doesn't necessarily have to be a trading server either.

also tf2tp.com is a great site to do tf2 trades as well. If you're looking to trade with only villuns well then I don't really know :/

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Just use the 'view unread posts' and check out if anyone has anything new.

Really, other than trading hats or volume of stuff (crates/paint), it's easier to just ask people for what you're looking for.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Well IMO one post per member limits spam which is nice but isn't the ideal solution.

Seperate forums could help if implemented properly. For instance, you wanted a powerjack you could just search the "sale" forum for that.

However, that is assuming no one has offered it in a thread for a particular item for sale within the sale forum so there's the potential to get many results for threads where it's not actually for sale.

IMO the more topics the more there is to read; unless there is a system that allows for quick location of specific items. I don't see happening unless there's one post per item and only the original poster can modify the Topic title it when the order is fulfilled.

For instance, i post a topic in a forum with the topic "[FS] Dr Dappers Topper," people can make offers within the thread or via PM when i agree to sell it i update the topic to "[SOLD] Dr Dappers Topper" or something similar indicating that people no longer need to open the topic to see if it's available.

I have faith in villuns to update their posts but it could potentially be a lot of work for people like Zork and Carpe who have 8 bazillion items up for trade :D

I forgot to mention that you can also limit searches to the topic title so you would be able to search for specific items using the topic search within the trading forum.

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Get rid of the "one thread per person" rule. It is making people put down placeholder threads that are titled "Big Al's stuff for trade" which does nothing to help people search for what they want. Useful, well titled threads of appropriate specificity will emerge over time, whoever posts them.

At quick glance, I only see two threads worth sticky-ing because they have simple titles that say what they are about. "hats for hats" and "looking for paints." If you can't describe exactly what you want in the title of the thread then it's unlikely people will look at that thread.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

To address the missing weapon problem I've started a random weapon exchange using my spare account. Summary, don't spend the material to craft a weapon, chances are somebody has an extra.

See details here:
http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... 90#p281990

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Search -> Highlight Team Fortress Trading -> Type in item name -> Push Search button -> Profit
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rockn-Roll » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 am

TheCarpe wrote:Search -> Highlight Team Fortress Trading -> Type in item name -> Push Search button -> Profit
Oh...I've been doing that ever since Trading started...both in the previous thread and in this thread...frustration of only finding members that Want the item that I want has necessitated my inventing a Forum configuration where I can just do one search and be done with it.

What you will currently get with a search are members that Want an item as well as those who have it for trade...I'd still have to actually read the posts before I could determine whether someone has it for trade or not.

Also...I'd rather trade with TheVille members because they are more likely to use what I trade to them in games that I play. If I traded my Big Chief to someone in the Steam forums then I'd probably never see that item again, but here I'd get to see it almost every day if I traded it to someone like Armin. Hence, my desire to find the least frustrating way to locate TheVille members to trade with.
Plinko wrote:Just use the 'view unread posts' and check out if anyone has anything new.
That's what I was doing in the original Trading thread...lot's of time spent reading threads what I really wanted to do was play TF2!
Let's Rock!

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I really like how the Steam forums runs their trading sub-forum. If we could do something similar, it would be much easier and organized. I don't spend much time on their forums, so feel free to add on if you'd like.

We can have threads like:
Hats for Hats (already made)
Hats for metal
Items (paint, name tags, description tags, weapons etc.) market

It would save much more room and would make it much easier to find something you're looking to trade for.

What do you guys think?
New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

raindrop
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by raindrop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Let's say that there was a site where you could:
  • specify what items in your backpack were tradable
  • list what items you were seeking
  • synced with your backpack
  • displayed this data in a searchable format
Would anyone be interested in using such a site?

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 pm

raindrop wrote:Let's say that there was a site where you could:
Sounds like the holy grail of TF2 trading websites.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

tf2tp.com already does all that, but it's full of idiots :/

such a site exclusively for us would be nice though.

Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rockn-Roll » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 am

Sure...I'd use it. Are you volunteering to build it?

Actually, I've just thought of a way to have a fully automated system. It actually makes Crates usefull! We can have a scanner that looks at the backpacks of all the members that subscribe to the service. The scanner considers anything between any two crates as being available for trade. All the subscribers need to do then is put what they want to trade between two crates and they never have to mess with updating posts or whatever. In conjuction with such a system we can have a search feature to list subscribers that have a specific item. And, an interface so that subscribers can select items that they are looking for, but that nobody else has.

I'd be willing to build the automated scanner.
Let's Rock!

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 am

Rockn-Roll wrote:It actually makes Crates usefull! ...put what they want to trade between two crates and they never have to mess with updating posts...
What if someone deleted all their crates?

I would like some sort of trading thing with people I know, I don't like having to search through all the people on tf2items or whatever the one you guys use is. I don't have the programming experience to help though.

Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rockn-Roll » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Katotsu wrote:What if someone deleted all their crates?
That's the beauty of using crates as demarcations (like using quotes around something). If you don't have 2 crates then just ask someone for one and I'm sure if they have some extras they will give them to you...they are the cheapest available. I suppose a user interface could be developed so that a subscriber could indicate what the demarcation items will be...or perhaps indicate 1st/last 12 items, etc.
Katotsu wrote:I would like some sort of trading thing with people I know, I don't like having to search through all the people on tf2items or whatever the one you guys use is. I don't have the programming experience to help though.
So...you would use the service?
Let's Rock!