Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Guardian Grinder MINI

Post by Inner » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

I love the Guardian Grinder Cari & Tater did. The design is brilliant and the effort they put in is, well, monumental.

Wanting to do something like that myself, I began. After several days of hauling much sand and draining even more water, it finally occurred to me: it isn't actually necessary to drain the entire monument, only the amount needed to hold your spawner. You may in fact want to have the maximum area available, but you may not! You could get a mini grinder up and going with considerably less effort than draining the entire monument. Even half of the monument's space could make a pretty great grinder, I'd guess. The spawn rate won't be like Cari & Tater's but the effort involved won't be either. Any part of your grinder that's not spawning fish could be below ground yes?

Well, I don't have one up yet, but I wanted to put the idea out there and see if there was any feedback. Good luck!

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Guardian Grinder MINI

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 pm

yeah the double downside to that though is on top of the decreased spawn rates, you are always being attacked while you make it :P

However, there isn't anything saying that it wouldn't work, it would just be very slow since the mobs could spawn elsewhere rather than in the trap.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 am

Well it's taken a few days to get around to it :D However, I now have one up and running. Look for Inner's Underwater Guardian Grinder (9360, 20, -1720) on the map.

Compared to doing the sand walls and sponge dry of the area around the monument, this way is sooooo simple. And fast. From scratch, it took about 2 hours to completely dry out the monument and be ready to start building the grinder. End result, with a medium (?) tank inside the monument, about 5 minutes to get 100 guardians in the grinder. Works for me.

Basic procedure.
1. Kill the Elder guardians and get sponges. Pro-tip: more sponges makes the job much faster. Borrow some.
2. From a nearby island or safe distance, tunnel in under the temple aiming for the center of the highest point. Depth of about 25 seems to work well. 30 can be too high due to the large amount of gravel under the temple.
3. Setup a little base camp below the center. Food, potions, furnace, ladders, etc.
4. Start tunneling straight up 1x1, putting ladder pieces on the wall as you go. When you get to water, the ladder prevents it from flowing down to your base camp.
5. Between the start of the water and the bottom of the temple you'll get hit by guardians so place blocks quickly to continue your tunnel up to the prismarine. Likewise when you break through each level of the monument. Continue to sea level. Take breaks to recover health as needed, but this will go surprisingly fast.
6. Now it's time to sponge dry the inside of the monument. Open doorways in your tunnel to access it. Again the ladder will hold back the water. Start drying, top down. The little rooms are a snap. The larger rooms go faster and easier if you build temporary partitions and do smaller areas one at a time.
7. Build your fishtank & grinder. For the sake of experimentation, I built mine completely inside the monument. No external walls or floors broken at all. If you want to mess with guardians though, you could pretty quickly seal off the area below the monument and above the sea floor. They can't spawn down there but it could serve as part of your collection area. My tank fills most of the main area of the monument but there's room to walk around on all sides.

Feel free to come visit anytime!

Inner
Fully Unlicensed Monument Consultant

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 am

Nice! I'll come by and check it out! 8)