Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Big terrain changes coming to MC

Post by Will T. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

This guy here has been documenting Twitter postings from Jeb at Mojang as he reveals terrain-related features that will be coming in Minecraft 1.7 and beyond. There's lot of great stuff for people like me who like to explore. Some of it might be speculation, but most of what is said in there at least has links to Jeb's statements regarding it and images that Jeb has shared related to it.

Planned changes and additions are, among other things:

-New flowers - There are several new flower types coming, including tulips, sunflowers, paeonias, and an as-of-yet unknown flower. This will triple the number of flower types in the game!

-Biomes grouped by climate - At long last, it will be impossible to find a desert and a taiga next to each other! Biomes are now grouped by their relative temperature and humidity.

-LOTS of new biomes and biome variations - A new Canyon biome filled with hardened clay blocks, a Redwood Forest biome featuring jungle-tree-sized spruce trees and exposed formations of mossy cobblestone, and possibly much-hillier jungles are all in the works. There are a handful of new blocks appearing in these biomes, including what seems to be a grass block whose grass does not spread. Existing biomes will also be receiving numerous tweaks, such as spruce trees appearing in Extreme Hills and cliffs sometimes appearing in place of beaches in order to create the "cliff coast" present in many parts of the real world. (These cliffs can also appear on small islands in the middle of the ocean, creating something akin to a sea stack.) Jeb has this to say about the number of biomes planned to be in the game after this next batch of updates:

"It depends on how you count. In addition to completely new ones, the old ones have new variations too. So, double?"

-(Partial) Resolution of the "Black Spot Bug" - Remember those stupid spots in the terrain that get shrouded in pitch-black shadow for no reason? They will soon be "much rarer," apparently.

-Altitude-based snow generation - Snowfall will now take place at certain altitudes depending on the biome. Extreme Hills, for instance, will receive snow at Y=90 and above. Jeb says there will be "noise" around the snow line, so the snow won't just form an unnatural straight line there. Fittingly, snow will not be possible in hot biomes like the desert - according to Jeb, the method by which the snow line is calculated places the desert's snow line at Y=1174. :P

And my personal favorite:

-Very strange new terrain generation - This Twitter post from Jeb discusses something that he created while "testing level-generator stuff" which Notch requested be "kept as an option." People are jumping on this as a return of the old "Sky Lands" concept, but the message would seem to imply IMO that this will be a new terrain type selectable at world generation. It looks as though the land will be spread out over much more of the 256 Y-blocks instead of the usual 64 blocks of solid land + ~64 blocks of landscape + 128 blocks of open air. There are numerous floating objects and overhangs and such, giving the whole thing a look similar to the floating worlds that could be made in MC's Indev phase. I simply have to post the accompanying picture here directly because of how awesome it is:

It's apparently highly resource-intensive, but I'd love to see the Ville's vanilla MC server have something like this at next world reset if that ends up being possible. (And if that server is still around... :()

This is all on top of the other changes planned for this and future updates, many of which can be read about here.

This is all looking awesome! It seems to be an unclear mix of speculation and verified info straight from Jeb, but it all looks cool. I haven't played MC in ages, but I will definitely be jumping in to explore the new landscape as soon as it's available. :)

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Big terrain changes coming to MC

Post by NerevarineKing » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm just glad they're going to do something about that bug, it's been unfixed for ages. Also, a skylands server would be really cool.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 pm

I think restarting the ville server with the new terrain would be fun.

Minecraft seems to be the most fun when the server restarts and we have to build everything from scratch again and once we build the nether hub and spawn town we get bored and wait for the server to be restarted again :lol:

I'd also like to point out that if you want to play on a skylands map, I made a skylands age in Tekkit a while ago and linked it to the open ages area of the subspace highway. You can teleport in there and build stuff if you want.

EDIT: So a thought just occured to me. What if I were to make a mini-server within the tekkit server? As in I made a skylands age but I used linking books that force you to drop all your items if you attempt to get in or out of the age, essentially making it a closed system until your able to make a star fissure world or something...

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Today I learned that the current Minecraft launcher (the big bulky one which replaced the old one some time ago and spews lots of code in a console when starting up) allows for easy switching between MC versions, including current snapshots. A snapshot containing many of the new features I described earlier came out not long ago, so I went hands-on with some of them. Here are my findings:

- That spectacular-looking new world type from the OP is in fact a new world generator option, called "AMPLIFIED" (all caps are used in-game :P). It does exactly what it suggests: it stretches everything vertically to ridiculous extremes. Sea level is still the same at Y=64, but land generates all the way up to the Y=256 ceiling. Any biome can reach beyond the cloud line, with Forest Hills and Extreme Hills being the two highest. I've been exploring some Plains that reach Y=150, which is an odd feeling to say the least. :P This all comes at the cost of realism, as Extreme Hills are full of enormous holes that would guarantee the collapse of any real land mass and large floating islands abound in all areas. The vistas are incredible though.
- When selecting AMPLIFIED as your world type, the game warns that it requires a high-powered machine to play. They really aren't kidding - my brand-new ASUS laptop, which runs just about anything else at max settings with a steady 60+ FPS without breaking a sweat, chugs to single digits when generating new Amplified chunks. It sadly doesn't seem like something we'd want to have on our public MC server unless everyone interested in playing had a gaming rig (I know this is not true) or we had a separate server for it (I imagine that probably won't happen due to vanilla MC's decreased popularity compared to times past). I would definitely like to see it on a separate server if there was enough demand for one. It might even be fun just for brief adventure-map-style sessions - a survival-mode mountain-climbing expedition sounds awesome.
- Taigas are no longer snowy at sea level, but receive snow above their snow line around Y=120. It makes for a nice mix - below the snow line is a regular spruce forest that receives rain, while above it is the old-style snowy taiga.
- There is a Birch Forest biome, which is like a regular forest, except the trees are exclusively birch. I don't recall seeing it before.
- Oceans have a new "Deep Ocean" variant, which is exactly what it sounds like.
- For some reason, I can find no biomes other than forests, plains, taigas, and extreme hills. Even teleporting to extreme coordinates like X=300000, Y=300000 still plops me into a forest. I think this snapshot may not be able to generate other biomes, similar to how snow was left out of the late beta versions of the game.
- There are LOTS of new flowers: poppy, blue orchid, allium, azure bulet, four colors of tulips (red, orange, white, and pink), oxeye daisy, sunflower, lilac, and peony. There are also new plants called "Double Tallgrass" (sic), Large Fern, and Rose Bush. Each is two blocks tall, as are the sunflower, lilac, and peony. Most of these new plants spawn naturally in various biomes, with the remaining ones probably appearing in places I simply haven't seen yet. The picture in the Creative Mode inventory screen for the Decoration Blocks tab is now a peony.
- I'm not sure if this was always the case and I just never noticed, but clouds now move in the same direction that the sun/moon do.
- The game seems to be capped at 60 FPS. I was getting anywhere from 130 to 220 FPS on the latest release version, but on this version it sits squarely at a constant 60.

I haven't yet had time to explore every single thing, but I'm looking forward to the day it all ships in vanilla Minecraft! :) Hopefully deserts, jungles, etc. show up again soon...

Willie Busserhimen
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Willie Busserhimen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Im down for a restart at 1.7 release
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Willie Busserhimen wrote:Im down for a restart at 1.7 release
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:

There are more than enough changes to warrant this.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:18 am

It took a very long time, but I finally found desert-y biomes! They're just really far away from everywhere I was spawning.

Observations, both on hot-dry biomes and other things I missed before:

- There is a new "Mesa" biome with a secondary "Mesa Plateau" biome that exists at the top of the mesas. These are high, steep-walled landmasses made primarily of stained clay of various colors - browns, oranges, yellows, and white. At the top is the plateau at Y=90 or so, where the surface features patches of grass-less dirt and clusters of oak trees. It looks great for construction as it is very uniformly flat.
- Mesas seem to form the transition between hot-dry biomes and the forest-y biomes.
- "Roofed Forest" biomes are a new addition. They are dense forests composed primarily of 2x2 trees made of spruce wood with oak leaves. It is very dark under the canopies, but typically not quite dark enough for mobs to spawn in daylight. Giant mushrooms grow in abundance here(!).
- Rose bushes grow in the various forest biomes.
- Extreme Hills now generate with huge amounts of exposed stone. Some entire hills are even 100% stone, at least from the surface.

I know there's a ton more to be discovered - I still haven't found a hot-humid area yet, so I don't know what jungles or their neighbors look like yet.

I too would be up for a server reset once all this hits officially. I'm disappointed that the current map never took off, but a world-generation change this big might just be what we need to revitalize local interest in MC. I know this is the most fun I've had exploring since jungles were added. :)

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:30 am

Gizanked wrote:
ADevilishPotato wrote:

There are more than enough changes to warrant this.
If we reset hopefully it means I can actually find a stronghold before all of 3 of them are found on day 1 :P

Also it'll be interesting settling into homes with horses available from the start.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 am

Guardian wrote:If we reset hopefully it means I can actually find a stronghold before all of 3 of them are found on day 1 :P
They weren't found that fast! The second or third one lasted several weeks actually. I had stumbled across it while exploring but by the time I went back WintrySmerf had started building above it.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 am

Flash wrote:
Guardian wrote:If we reset hopefully it means I can actually find a stronghold before all of 3 of them are found on day 1 :P
They weren't found that fast! The second or third one lasted several weeks actually. I had stumbled across it while exploring but by the time I went back WintrySmerf had started building above it.
I'll admit that was a bit of an hyberbole but the point is I'll hope to find one this time :P

wintrysmerf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by wintrysmerf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Flash wrote:
i started building on top of a stronghold? really?

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:30 pm

wintrysmerf wrote:
Flash wrote:
i started building on top of a stronghold? really?
lol...
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 pm

wintrysmerf wrote:i started building on top of a stronghold? really?
Haha, are you messing with me? :| It is in the water just north of your place. I found it while boating (there is an underwater ravine) and marked it on my minimap. When I went back a few weeks later you had started building your big place and there was an underwater staircase/ladder leading down to the End Portal. I just assumed it was you!

I'd love to harvest the mossy & cracked stone brick for my place if it hasn't been pillaged already.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 am

No doubt horses will more valuable this time around then when we first found them. The new biomes and old seem to be sorted into continents depending on type and finding a specific biome will be difficult so exploration will be more valuable this time around.

I'm hoping to settle in the new Redwood Forest or Mesa biomes so hopefully I'll be able to find a horse easily.