Toby from Human Resources
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Question to those that run servers

Post by Toby from Human Resources » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Have you ever encountered an error in which you lose internet connection when attempting to start the server?

I've been trying to get a small private server going for me and a friend, but I can't seem to get it working. My ports are forwarded and everything is in place, but when I went to start the server I lost internet connect about 2 minutes into it creating the world. The connection is restored when the computer is restarted.

I used www.yougetsignal.com to check and see if my ports were open and every port I test, it claims to be closed. This isn't possible since other programs using ports that are "closed" are working without error. I've tried looking for solutions using the minecraft forums, but they haven't found an answer. I suppose it happens in a small enough frequency for it to be ignored. Currently, my only hope is that notch updates this problem out of SMP.

I'm open to any suggestions. It gets a bit boring playing single player.
Thanks, Beeron. :)

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Question to those that run servers

Post by metacide » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

1) join the exciting servers we already have running
2) make sure the firewall isnt blocking the ports
3) Check out this thread, seems pretty comprehensive.

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

It could be that your ISP is blocking the Minecraft default port (25-something or other).

Open up server.properties with Notepad (or preferably Notepad++) and change the server IP, and then try to get it running.

If you change the port, you'd have to connect to a server thusly:

12.345.678.901:65535

So yeah, maybe your ISP is resetting your connection every time it detects a server starting up? Damn near every ISP has a "You can't run a server from your home connection" clause in their ToS. =|

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack

Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Toby from Human Resources » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am

metacide wrote:1) join the exciting servers we already have running
2) make sure the firewall isnt blocking the ports
3) Check out this thread, seems pretty comprehensive.

1. I would, but I'd always fear I'd somehow mess up someone's plans somehow.
2. Firewall had all the ports allowed as well.
3. Thank you for this link. I never thought to use hamachi. So far, this is working great. I got a full world up and running for myself. I'll have my friend try to connect to it tomorrow and see if it still works. I didn't lose internet connection when I started it either, so that's a good sign. Hopefully someone other than myself can connect to it.

To Ihmhi: That's what I thought at first, but then I started testing every port there is and they all came up closed. Even the most common ones were being reported as blocked.

If the hamachi IP still doesn't work, I'll have to reset my router and go from there. :(

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:11 am

Don't be afraid of messing a plan up, simple asking about a space that looks in use or looks abandoned is just fine. That's how I found where my current project was to be located.

But regardless, both Stevo's server, and Dog's servers, are HUGE! We'd be glad to have you!
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

You'd be surprised. You first join Dog's server and it looks like a metropolis it's built up so much, but i only had to walk for a little bit to find a nice pleasant clearing that I settled immediately.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Toby from Human Resources » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 am

I love the warm welcomes of the Ville. :)

I'll most likely end up joining one of the servers, but I still need a private server just to screw around with.

Hamachi worked out fine, but when my friend connects it's really laggy for him. I'll see his character standing still when he's actually moving. I'm running the server on a different PC than the one I am playing on. Running Windows XP and has an Intel Core 2 Duo @2.66GHz and 3.25 of usable RAM. He'll occasionally get kicked after a while disconnect.overflow.

Thank you to all that have responded.

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 am

It could also be your firewall; make sure the port you're opening on your router is also appropriately opened on your firewall.

BTW Toby, come to Dog's server. We don't have miniguns but I could build you a six-barreled cannon. :D

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack