TACOBELL
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Good idea????

Post by TACOBELL » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:43 am

Problem.

Graphics card too weak, Integrated geforce 6150le, running source with no eye candy at 22fps. and my tower is too small to fit a normal graphics card

Solution.?

i was thinking since i care only about preformance and not looks. i was thinking would it be safe to cut my tower out where the graphics needs to go and just have it hang out, maybe make a lexan cover so it doesnt get bumped or something?

i want at least 80fps with the eye candy and i want a 8800 ultra but it wont fit, so is my solution ok?

or i was also thinking buying a different tower but thats just getting to be too much $$$$ with the card, plus i like the tower i got
Eat all the tacos!

mujo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by mujo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:57 am

Any time you cut into your tower and alter the airflow you risk overheating components. Especially if you're considering installing a higher-end graphics card.

Get a new case if you ask me. You can get half-way decent ones for around $50 with out a power supply. Or you could just get one with a power supply for around $100.

If thats not an option, they do have "low profile" graphics cards available now. No idea how powerful and what models are offered though. Check out www.newegg.com

If you have any other questions, go to MicroCenter down in columbus, alot of helpful people there :wink: or you could bug JD too :wink:
Adversities do not make a person weak, they reveal what strength he has. -Kierkegaard

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/mujosig.jpg[/img]

Deslock
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Good idea????

Post by Deslock » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:48 am

Get a new tower. Cutting up your current one isn't worth the hassle.

Here's two I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6811166038
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6811166027
Dog isn't Evil, he's Canadian. There's a difference. :lol:
CV 6 USS Enterprise 12 May 1938 - 17 February 1947
CVN 65 USS Enterprise 25 November 1961 - 1 December 2012
CVN 80 USS Enterprise 2025

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:23 pm

We dont know enough about his current tower to judge whether or not he has proprietary components that would complicate things. Assuming he doesn't, then a new tower/psu/video card would be ideal. I say new psu just because most OEM systems dont come with lots of power to spare and most new video cards guzzle power like an Abrams guzzles fuel.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Gen.Ben
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gen.Ben » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm

Taco, would you mind posting a picture of the inside of your case, because I am thinking even if you do cut your case, the CPU fan would be blocking the space to put a two slot card in anyways. That is, if it is a small form factor motherboard like a Mini ATX or BTX.

Also, if you want 80 FPS at full settings, there are alot of single slot cards out there that can pump out those FPS no problem, such as a 7900GS, but post pictures so we can tell you what the best route to go with would be.

Also, I think a 8800 Ultra is too expensive, especially for a first gen DX10 Card, I'd stick with a 8800 GTS, or even a GTX. at least until more DX10 games release and DX10 is more perfected. Then you could easily purchase a new case, mobo, PSU and whatnot with the money you saved from not getting a Ultra.
[img]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z80/Gen-Ben/l3eeron/SMS_genben_sig.png[/img]

Simple
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Simple » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Get the angle grinder out and hack away ...lol Act like you are chasing JD around with a shovel and he just stole you're last chocolate cookie. TeeHeeHee

On a side note some pics would be good to see what you have....lol
Simple

The Tiju
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Tiju » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:07 pm

"On a side note some pics would be good to see what you have....lol"

i read that completely outta context and it kinda killed my inner child
[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/C4NT_TheTiju_sig.jpg[/img]

Never Fear, The Tiju is Here

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 pm

[quote="Clay Pigeon";p="37846"]
We dont know enough about his current tower to judge whether or not he has proprietary components that would complicate things. Assuming he doesn't, then a new tower/psu/video card would be ideal. I say new psu just because most OEM systems dont come with lots of power to spare and most new video cards guzzle power like an Abrams guzzles fuel.
[/quote]
btx is not a small formfactor, its the same sixe as ATX, just opposite back panel config

i would get a new case and a GTX, thats yur best solution
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Simple
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Simple » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:35 pm

No NO NO angle grinder and a sledge hammer much more fun and satisifing :D :bash: :onfire: :2gunfire: :icon_bomb: :bad-words: :icon_ultragrin:
Simple

Gen.Ben
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gen.Ben » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:13 pm

[quote="MrBlah";p="37923"]
[quote="Clay Pigeon";p="37846"]
[/quote]
btx is not a small formfactor, its the same sixe as ATX, just opposite back panel config

i would get a new case and a GTX, thats yur best solution
[/quote]
BTX, small form factor or whatever you want to call it. I have one in my dell, and no matter what case it is in will not be able to fit a dual slot card such as a 8800. The CPU fan is blocking it.
[img]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z80/Gen-Ben/l3eeron/SMS_genben_sig.png[/img]

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:58 am

Im still concerned about how much power his 12 volt rail(s) have on his computer.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

TACOBELL
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by TACOBELL » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 am

how do i find out that beeron
Eat all the tacos!

Simple
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Simple » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 am

heh were did Beeron respond ?
Simple

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:22 am

[quote="mujo";p="37840"]
Get a new case if you ask me. You can get half-way decent ones for around $50 with out a power supply. Or you could just get one with a power supply for around $100. [/quote]
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

Gen.Ben
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gen.Ben » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:31 pm

I would have to agree with mujo and DOW, that probably would be your best bet. Dont get a case with a crappy powersupply in it! If you are going to get a case with a PSU in it allready, make sure it is a good brand like antec or corsair!

[quote="TACOBELL";p="37993"]
how do i find out that beeron
[/quote]

It probably doesnt matter how much power your 12 volt rails put out on your PSU because it probably is 250-300 watts which can not power a 8800, look for a quality 520-620 watt psu.