A forum for computer hardware and software issues
ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

probably a silly question

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 am

Hey, I have a weird font/text question. Whenever my web browser (chrome, but does the same thing on IE as well) tries to display any text that is not "normal" text, it just shows it as a outlined square. This has happened since I booted my computer for the first time. Normally I thought it was the website's fault, but I noticed that my laptop does not have the same problem on the same websites, so it must be my PC's end. Trying to look up a solution on the internet has yielded unhelpful help, so I was wondering if anyone knows what is the issue. I feel like this is a silly question that comes from something I have overlooked, but it has been quite frustrating trying to figure out a solution. Thanks guys.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: probably a silly question

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 am

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the boxes typically represent characters that your browser's font libraries don't include or have. Characters like accented vowels, foreign language characters (like Chinese), or Unicode for example. See if you can't find a more complete font library for your browsers. I'd bet Microsoft or Google would have add-ons for additional characters for their respective browsers.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:Don't quote me on this, but I believe the boxes typically represent characters that your browser's font libraries don't include or have. Characters like accented vowels, foreign language characters (like Chinese), or Unicode for example. See if you can't find a more complete font library for your browsers. I'd bet Microsoft or Google would have add-ons for additional characters for their respective browsers.
That's exactly right. However, browsers should auto-prompt you to install that font.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 am

As the others said, that represents an uninstalled font. Do you have Microsoft Office installed on your system, or an Adobe suite? If so, you shouldn't be getting that except for extremely bizare custom characters, or certain foreign alphabets - ideographic ones tend to cause the most trouble. Both of those programs have very large typeface libraries that will include every font regularly found on English websites (because most people creating those websites only have the libraries from one or both of those programs). If you do have one of those, and are still getting that issue, there's definitely something wrong with the installation of either that program, or of your web browser. Make sure you don't have some kind of security setting blocking the use of fonts from other programs.

You do say it's a problem when displaying text that isn't "normal," but I'm not 100% on what you mean by that. Are you talking about standard Latin alphabet characters and their varients (such as the é in my name) or do you mean things Chinese semanto-phonetics or Georgian Mkhedruli script?
-Boss Llama

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 am

What OS are your computers running?

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

@ Alizee, what I meant was things like clipart like letters show as boxes, but most non-English special characters show (but not all, thanks Wiki).

@ stevo, my issue computer is running XP, but my laptop and my office computers run Windows 7 and both of those do not have this problem. And all of them have office 2010 installed
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I remember having the same issue on XP. Unfortunately I don't know of any solution other than upgrading the OS. :?

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 pm

http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

The instructions here might help.

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 am

This was a problem with some installs where the user has changed his display font size away from standard(100%) to 'larger' or 'extra large.'
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!