Dog's begging!

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Dog's begging!

Post by Dog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm coming cap-in-hand!

As Bee and Hammer know, I'm no mapper and know jack-diddly-squat about creating one, and to be honest, never want to! I'm just a programmer!

Right now, for Cube Soccer, we have two maps - a soccer field one which I decompiled (ahem) and stripped, and Bee's old Valley map he originally made for me in DoDS, which I clumsily converted to TF2. He has kindly agreed to tighten these two maps up and make them much better!

However, two maps, is boring. So if anyone out there would like to make very simple maps for Cube Soccer, I'd be grateful!

The maps need to very simple. The whole concept is based on something Bee and me came up with last year:

A mapper's big problem is that maps are copied and everyone gets a copy when they play, which then can be transferred on to other servers. e.g. Avantiville is played all over the place, even though it is a Ville map!

So Bee and me came up with a plan last year.
A basic map would be created which would then rely on a program to run.
If anyone tried to copy the map for their own servers, it wouldn't work properly.

Cube Soccer does just that.
A Cube Soccer map is basically just scenery and one or two props. No CPs. No Intel. Nothing. The map is useless and is only good for death match.
Each side has spawn areas.

And that's as complicated as it gets.

The rest of the work is done by the program.
For example, in the Cube Soccer, the goal posts, the Cube and all the logic is done by the program. As a mapper, you would not have to worry about any of that stuff - just create an interesting playing surface for the cube to bounce around.

So the map is not usable without the program and no-one outside TheVille can copy it!
:D

So if you are interested, let me know!
Thanks!

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Dog's begging!

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:39 am

[quote="StrontiumDog";p="110269"]I'm coming cap-in-hand!

As Bee and Hammer know, I'm no mapper and know jack-diddly-squat about creating one, and to be honest, never want to! I'm just a programmer!

Right now, for Cube Soccer, we have two maps - a soccer field one which I decompiled (ahem) and stripped, and Bee's old Valley map he originally made for me in DoDS, which I clumsily converted to TF2. He has kindly agreed to tighten these two maps up and make them much better!

However, two maps, is boring. So if anyone out there would like to make very simple maps for Cube Soccer, I'd be grateful!

The maps need to very simple. The whole concept is based on something Bee and me came up with last year:

A mapper's big problem is that maps are copied and everyone gets a copy when they play, which then can be transferred on to other servers. e.g. Avantiville is played all over the place, even though it is a Ville map!

So Bee and me came up with a plan last year.
A basic map would be created which would then rely on a program to run.
If anyone tried to copy the map for their own servers, it wouldn't work properly.

Cube Soccer does just that.
A Cube Soccer map is basically just scenery and one or two props. No CPs. No Intel. Nothing. The map is useless and is only good for death match.
Each side has spawn areas.

And that's as complicated as it gets.

The rest of the work is done by the program.
For example, in the Cube Soccer, the goal posts, the Cube and all the logic is done by the program. As a mapper, you would not have to worry about any of that stuff - just create an interesting playing surface for the cube to bounce around.

So the map is not usable without the program and no-one outside TheVille can copy it!
:D

So if you are interested, let me know!
Thanks![/quote]

I'll see what I can come up with. I'm big on ideas but not on experience. The lack of any in-map control structures appeals to me at this point.

EDIT: I should add for any potential mappers that the biggest flaw in the existing maps is that a good demoman could launch a few stickies at the cube before any players can move. Four (or more) stickies can send the cube zooming across the map. This could possibly be exploited for a two second win.

And Dog, a few questions:
What were the overall dimensions of that Soccer field map? I'd like to make one about that size or just a little larger.
Can the cube be pushed with func_push?

I'm thinking of making one fairly simple map and another with killer pitfalls, a "jump ball" kick-off and other insane stuff.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 am

...and here's a couple screen shots for the people who haven't seen cube_valley2_b1

link for DL

http://www.theville2.org/downloads/cube_valley2_b1.bsp

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:33 am

maybe Ill remake my ice rink map into one :D hehehe
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:59 am

I have a map ready. Where can I submit it?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:02 am

I PMed you with a FTP site to upload maps!

Examples of dimensions can be found with these two VMF files:

http://www.boff.clanservers.com/mapcrap/

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 am

Sorry I missed this post Dog. I'm kinda tied up on another project now but.............. I have an idea.

Cube Soccer Pinball

Cube Soccer but inside a pinball game.
Image[/center]

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 am

I added a pool table version to
http://www.boff.clanservers.com/mapcrap/

called cube_pool, but I don't know how to add the balls!

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:27 am

My map is uploaded as a Bzipped BSP and a VMF. I'm not sure if I uploaded the right files, so let me know if something else is needed. My map uses only a few textures, all of them are stock. Also I give any Villun permission to modify or use this map in any way for any reason. I know the map is hardly a work of high art, but I hope it'll get the (soccer) ball rolling on what I hope will become a Ville signature game type.

EDIT: I made a guess at the size of the existing map and made Lasertag's length within a few percent of Cube Valley. It's tough to say if the map is too big or too small until I get feedback though.

Anyone know how to get rid of the weird reflection on the demoman's bottle?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Uploaded!
I changed its name to "cube_lasertag" to reflect the gameplay (hope you don't mind!)

Other than that, it runs well!

I just have to set it up now with the goals and center.

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 am

[quote="StrontiumDog";p="110335"]Uploaded!
I changed its name to "cube_lasertag" to reflect the gameplay (hope you don't mind!)

Other than that, it runs well!

I just have to set it up now with the goals and center.[/quote]

Please, make any changes that you feel would improve it. I would think that it would run well, there's hardly anything to it! :lol: I was getting over 200fps testing it. Toyfort gives me 30-60fps in comparison.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:31 pm

these maps im sure will give everyone high fps :D

And im working on a hockey rink for cube hockey :lol: nice and slippery :P Im not sure if its too big yet so I'll find out i guess.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:39 pm

High fps?
Not so sure about that.

The maps are as basic as they come. No props. No ammo or health upgrades. Limited spawn areas. No logic. No func_physbox.
And every map should be small in size because of all that!

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:13 pm

[quote="MrBlah";p="110357"]these maps im sure will give everyone high fps :D

And im working on a hockey rink for cube hockey :lol: nice and slippery :P Im not sure if its too big yet so I'll find out i guess.[/quote]

I'm thinking about adding lasers and fog to the Lasertag map. I don't know if I can make lasers with fine tuned spot lights though. I've got a pachinko/pinball machine in my head that I need to start mapping out. It'll be a good chance to learn how to use dynamic lights. Maybe I should find the into music to "The Price is Right".

All this should ruin the FPS! :D