CTF Camping Trip [Final]

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 am

It's sad, but for me, it's the same...

I have to trash everything and start from scratch to make a change.

I will be sure to hop on the server next time I see it on!

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA3]

Post by KRG » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:56 am

How do you all think this will play out in the Total Warz finals?
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA3]

Post by itchy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 am

[quote="Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42";p="165524"]How do you all think this will play out in the Total Warz finals?[/quote]

It all depends on how it changes between now and then. Like I said, in its current state, it isn't class-balanced, which is what you really need for a TW map. How it plays after Ian's alterations is anyone's guess.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:13 am

Itchy is so right about the map needing to be class balanced.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:31 am

Ladies and gentlemen, the absurdly differing B4. I'm releasing this now so that people can make suggestions about the new layout while I make a B4_b that fixes the following problems:

Trees casting shadows inside a red fence
Displacement not showing up highway-side skybox
Clip problem with RED fence

Make sure to take a careful look at the new static yet supposed-to-morph gazebos. I tried to get a screenshot in here, but I accidentally took a screenshot of the pause menu instead. I don't have enough time to go back and get another picture, as I really need to get to sleep.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA4]

Post by Flobee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 am

Wow, this is a totally different map.

I might have some more to say about it later when I've given it another look, but for now, I have but one complaint.

It is impossible to get onto the roof of the base, yet there is a small ammo pack up on there. YOU DID THAT JUST TO TAUNT ME.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

SkyFrostSalvo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by SkyFrostSalvo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah this is an all-new experience; 300% better than the previous version. That claustrophobic feeling that was suffocating the whole map is gone. Even the sewers feel usable now by the likes of sol/dem/hev. The middle area is suddenly worth controlling. It's no longer a guaranteed-capture map (though I'm not sure how true that was before either, given engi's dominance in the intel room) but I think it'll play much more smoothly for it.

Oh, and - praise Allah! - sniper now has a reason for existing. Props! 8)
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_shodan.gif[/img] [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3988492403_74def96fa2_m.jpg[/img]
[i][size=150]N'est absente que toi![/size][/i]

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I don't know about the exterior, but it should still be hard to set up a permanent sentry in the intelligence room. There's a lot of cover and corners to peek around. And on Snipers, you'd best watch what you say, as I have a tendency to throw up random cover...!

Sorry about that ammo box, Flobee, I'll get that removed. It's a throwback to when I still allowed people to mess around on the roof. Speaking of which, since not everybody can get up there anymore, do you think I should remove the roof barrier?

SkyFrostSalvo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by SkyFrostSalvo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm

I think the ability to get over the wall on the left (scout/sol/dem) onto your opponents' spawn platform is enough; the rooftop should stay clipped IMO.
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_shodan.gif[/img] [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3988492403_74def96fa2_m.jpg[/img]
[i][size=150]N'est absente que toi![/size][/i]

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Ah, I forgot that I clipped that off originally to prevent demo/soldier camping. Whoops.

And for the last time, just because there's a regen cabinet doesn't mean people spawn out there! I could put regen cabinets on the bridge for crying out loud. The only reasons the cabinets are out there is to intimidate attackers and to provide a quick recovery for retreating people.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 pm

[quote="Ian_Suffix";p="165954"]Ah, I forgot that I clipped that off originally to prevent demo/soldier camping. Whoops.

And for the last time, just because there's a regen cabinet doesn't mean people spawn out there! I could put regen cabinets on the bridge for crying out loud. The only reasons the cabinets are out there is to intimidate attackers and to provide a quick recovery for retreating people.[/quote]

Still people see supply lockers and go "HA HA I'M 100% SAFE!!"

Anyways I'm downloading it now and I'll have a quick runthrough.

Edit: Wow very impressive Ian, You've managed to address all the issues, We've presented and make major changes to the map very quickly.

A quick runthrough through the new layout showed that now it seems like controlling the outside area is important now and now it should be impposible to "sneak" cap the intel.

We'll have to test it on TV2 before I can suggest any changes for the layout.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Indeed, I've logged enough hours in Hammer to know how to design things in a modular manner that allows me to make changes without having to scrap the entire thing. Even so, it did take me approximately 9-10 hours yesterday...

Without further ado, here's B4v2. [img]http://i565.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Very visaully pleasing my friend!

Haven't played on it, but took her for a test spin...

She fells alot like Junction. The interior feels a little tight, but maybe that's what you wanted.

My only gripe would be to make the intel placement more obvious....

maybe put some yellow/black hazard stripes leading up to it?

I found the intel room fine by following the signs. But once I got in there, I couldn't find the intel! :lol:

Maybe something like this?

[spoil]Image
[/spoil]

Also, I don't know if you're concerned with file size (prolly not, it's a small map), but you could make all that chrome look really really good by upping the cubemaps to 64x64 (or higher?). It'll make the reflections in the chrome look like a mirror. :cool:

All in all, I think this map could be a winner after we dial it in!

We need an alternative to turbine.... really bad....

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Overlays leading up to the intelligence sounds like a good idea. The only reason I've been resistant to moving the intelligence out there is because it makes it appear as though the information on their project appears on a stand for taking notes. Come think of it, however, I could ditch the catwalk. It feels kind of weird with the glass all around it.

I'd propose ditching the glass and making a huge metal outcrop to walk around on, extending into the cave, but that would make it too obvious that I've used smaller scales to make the cave appear larger than it really is.

Oh, and if you thought the interiors are cramped now, you might be rather outraged by pre-B4. The halls and some doorways were even tighter then!

So, for B5: bigger cubemaps, no catwalk, ammo near the bridge, perhaps allow all classes to climb the barrels into the area beyond the spawn yard fence...

I just remembered this, but Guardian, I apologize for not taking your advice on opening up the other door to the cabins. It's too close to the spawn room, see.
Last edited by Ian_Suffix on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:47 pm

[quote="Ian_Suffix";p="166116"]
I just remembered this, but Guardian, I apologize for not taking your advice on opening up the other door to the cabins. It's too close to the spawn room, see.[/quote]

That's ok now that the map is completely different now so my suggestion doesn't quite stand now.

Still I kind of wish there was a "sidedoor" rather then going through the front near the spawn or the vents every time.