Old Map, New Paint

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Old Map, New Paint

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 am

Wow, that looks great, Hammer. Can't wait to see it in action!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 am

If we ran this map, I would play warpath more often.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 am

Looks great. Would love to try it out.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks to one and all for the input.

Now for some back story on this and how I took on this project. Jim was right when he said that initially I started this when my "Kid" ask me to overhaul this for him and his friends in the army.

I use to tweak their Counter Strike maps for them but they moved onto Warpath. I'm pretty sure First-Louie figured he could con the old man into this project so a couple of weeks ago he sends me an email wanting to know if I'll refurbish the map for their military server.

My orders were clear; you can change the architecture to look like your Citadel map. We want a ladder to the second cap point roof to give everyone access. Don't jack with the game mechanics or flow of the game. Oh and Yeah, make it go fast.

So, I jumped on it, changed all the buildings, holding to the dimensions of the original structures. Move some architecture to allow for the area portals and cleaner vis-lines. Gave it a skybox, which has been my minor headache with this whole project, and generally just changed the textures. A lot of the stuff you see in the screenshots are generated in the sky box.

I started talking to Jim Beam about this whole "overhaul" project and he wanted some screenshots. I was nervous about posting them fearing people would be upset at what I was doing to a classic map. In the event of a public uproar, my out was going to be that I wasn't going to release it publicly. Just something for me, my bots, and the U.S. Army to play around with.

Now, I'm in a dilemma, there is some actual interest in the map.

To answer the question as to will the map make it on a Ville server, I'll just say we're in talks. It has to be play tested. Next problem is, it needs a name. Calling it Warpath......Whatever will confuse it with Warpath 2. So, it needs a name, I'm leaning towards "Warhammer" but I'm open to suggestions.

As I said before, Thank You for the input. I'm hoping to have a copy of the map uploaded to my webspace by Friday or Saturday, once I settle on a name. I'll post a link as soon as it hits the server if you wish to down load it look at the entire map.
Image[/center]

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Mad-Hammer wrote:So, it needs a name, I'm leaning towards "Warhammer" but I'm open to suggestions.
I like the sound of that WARHAMMER

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Hammer added to anything sounds cool :lol: flowerhammer, bunnyhammer, fluffyhammer, hammertoast. . .you just can't go wrong with hammer in there somewhere. :D . . .wait.. .bacon goes with everything too. . . .baconhammer! Brilliant!

Looks awesome Ham, it reminds me a lot of what B did with Avanti. Looking forward to checking it out!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Seems like throwing it on TV2 would be an easy way to test it, I'm happy to help playtest if something formal gets organized.

But wait, there is a Warpath 2?

My initial thoughts are: If there is a chance it would replace the current version of Warpath on TV8 I think it would be better to have it named Warpath___ Whether you just went with Warpath3 or Warpath_new or whatever. It would make a possible map transition much smoother since it would still be obvious to non-forumers that it was just a new variant of Warpath and not a completely different map.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Flash wrote:But wait, there is a Warpath 2?
Warpath2 is our Warpath. Original cp_warpath was somehow even more bland in color, was lacking the barrel cover in the middle, and instead of a ladder leading up the wall on point 2/4 there were crude, hard to climb steps carved into the side of the wall.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm

That looks awesome.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm

My only suggestion, and it would take a lot of rework so ignore it if you want, is that RED and BLU bases should match the aesthetic of the rest of the TF2 world, so the RED base should be more...wood and shack oriented, and the BLU base more the traditional concrete we are used to seeing on Warpath. I always found it pretty cool that the material designs of the teams were completely different. It would make it feel more like a TF2 map in my opinion.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:11 pm

frostdillicus wrote:My only suggestion, and it would take a lot of rework so ignore it if you want, is that RED and BLU bases should match the aesthetic of the rest of the TF2 world, so the RED base should be more...wood and shack oriented, and the BLU base more the traditional concrete we are used to seeing on Warpath. I always found it pretty cool that the material designs of the teams were completely different. It would make it feel more like a TF2 map in my opinion.
Listen to this man.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm

frostdillicus wrote:My only suggestion, and it would take a lot of rework so ignore it if you want, is that RED and BLU bases should match the aesthetic of the rest of the TF2 world, so the RED base should be more...wood and shack oriented, and the BLU base more the traditional concrete we are used to seeing on Warpath. I always found it pretty cool that the material designs of the teams were completely different. It would make it feel more like a TF2 map in my opinion.
I have tried this concept before and I failed miserably. That and Warpath 4 did just this and I didn't want to copy that work. The Gulch, which was a Warpath remake, also tried it. If you think about it, TF2 is really about two factions that disguise who they really are. So, think of this as both teams revealing their high tech selves differentiated by team color.

On to other things.........after much fighting with Pakrat, I think I have a full version of the map setting on my server. Just click on the link,

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kamikazeyz/cp_warhammer.zip

It's approximately a 12mb download. Extract it to your Steam/steamapps/"your email address"/team fortress 2/tf/maps folder.

When you have time, give it a walkthrough and tell me what you don't like about it.
Image[/center]

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:27 pm

I must say, I love that you made this map, and that you put a lot of work into it. I'm just going to go over the things I like and the things I think need to be improved.

Final Point/Spawn:

I LOVE what you did with spawn, I'm a huge fan of those windowed off sections like these
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... tab=public
(extra points for the soda pop machine too)

Using bulletproof glass instead of fence works really well for the final point, I think, It makes the point look safer.

Unfourtuately, I see a problem that just bugs the crap outta me, It seems like you never decided on what type of enviorment you wanted this map to have
ex. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... tab=public
None of the rock types match, and it makes the map look messy, and its present throughout the whole map.

2nd Point:

I love the new addition to the top of the second point, It will be very interesting to see how it plays out in combat
(Missing texture ftw!)

I also couldn't stop noticing the explosion marks on the walls, I think they look too out of place
(Shot a rocket for comparison)

Mid:

It looks very nice except for the way you did the cliffsides
(the cliffside kinda blends in with the rest of the wall)

but I do love the water under the bridge.

That's my 2 cents, Great job!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm no conniousor (or however that's spelled), but I do like the map and the few changes implemented; mainly the ladder to the roof of cap 2/4. That'll put a stop to some of those engineers, and while it's still tough to access, now anyone can get up there, especially spies.

My only concern is this:
VIEW CONTENT:
Either a texture i'm missing, or a texture that failed to load, this was present at both cap 2 and 4. I would recommend replacing it with a more avalible texture, because if you used something from another custom map, while it may look good, not everyone may see it and instead will see the purple/black checkerboard glob.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 am

I appreciate you all taking the time to download the map and giving it a once over. Took me awhile to figure what happened with the missing texture on the rock at the second point.

I thought that was a TF2 rock. It's listed as tf/rock_06. Looked through my custom models and lo and behold, it's not a Valve rock, it's a custom. So, I need to put those two texture files in the bsp.

Unfortunately, that will have to wait until later today as, I'm at work. So, to anyone who wishes to download the map, wait. I'll post when I have an updated version on the server.
Image[/center]