(Very) early preview

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

(Very) early preview

Post by dredfox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:50 am

Insomnia has gripped me and I feel like posting. This is what I've been doing while spending hours with Hammer. Don't expect this map soon. I still have to learn how to use the triggers for control points and dynamic changes to the map.

It is loosely modeled on Warpath with five control points and a symmetric layout. Overall the map will have a figure S layout with a special underwater path connecting the "S tips" with the center. Control points will be evenly spaced along the body of the S and the spawns will be at the tips of the S. The spawns will not move, but new paths will open or close as CPs are won or lost. If this map plays well and becomes something I am proud of, I will make the map special to The Ville with in-joke easter eggs. Though if I don't get a solid grasp on this trigger input and output stuff soon, I may have to port it to Duke Nukem Forever to keep it current. :lol: :cry:

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: (Very) early preview

Post by Mad-Hammer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:28 am

Looks good so far. Learning about triggers and I/O's just takes time and what seems like hundreds of hours reading tutorials.

I have found that doing the brushwork is easy. Installing the game mechanics that actually let the map work, that's the hard part.
Image[/center]

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am

lookin' good

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:55 am

[quote="Mad-Hammer";p="109191"]Looks good so far. Learning about triggers and I/O's just takes time and what seems like hundreds of hours reading tutorials.

I have found that doing the brushwork is easy. Installing the game mechanics that actually let the map work, that's the hard part.
[/quote]

Planning has taken the most time. Learning how to use Hammer is a close second. Before I even started I planned it out in my head, and then again on several sheets of graph paper. I looked at some good, popular maps, and borrowed little ideas from each. This one won't have any of the fancy physiscs stuff I've mentioned in the past. I won't use any of that unless I can be sure it won't produce too much load for a server to handle. In any case, if I get the time and energy to work on this in the near future, I expect to be done with the brush work in a few weeks. Then comes programming in the control points and such, and then all my custom textures and decals. So it going to be quite a while. :)

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Looking good!

I've started to fiddle in the SDK as well, and while I found a couple of good tutorials, I'm still learning how to, um, make a map that isn't so "boxy".
I am the 1%!

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Nice job dred!

I happen to know a thing or two about outputs and such, I've also made custom textures (I wouldn't try custom models if I were you) so if you need any help, hit em up :D

Pretty much everything you will need to know is found at www.tf2maps.net.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="109325"]
Nice job dred!

I happen to know a thing or two about outputs and such, I've also made custom textures (I wouldn't try custom models if I were you) so if you need any help, hit em up :D

Pretty much everything you will need to know is found at www.tf2maps.net.
[/quote]

I like doing the I/O stuff. The brush work, i'm starting to get the hang of

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 am

[quote="l3eeron";p="109325"]Nice job dred!

Pretty much everything you will need to know is found at www.tf2maps.net.[/quote]

I've been playing with Blender lately. Oddly enough I think I'd be better at making custom models than working with outputs. I tried my luck at programming a few years back and never had much luck. I tend to think holistically when programming is more linear.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:26 am

[quote="dredfox";p="109366"]
[quote="l3eeron";p="109325"]Nice job dred!

Pretty much everything you will need to know is found at www.tf2maps.net.[/quote]

I've been playing with Blender lately. Oddly enough I think I'd be better at making custom models than working with outputs. I tried my luck at programming a few years back and never had much luck. I tend to think holistically when programming is more linear.
[/quote]

Once I've started getting the hang of outputs, I've found them pretty straight forward. I could try to give you a hand (comming from another beginner mapper)

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 am

[quote="shimmybot";p="110298"]
Once I've started getting the hang of outputs, I've found them pretty straight forward. I could try to give you a hand (comming from another beginner mapper)[/quote]

I might take you up on that, thanks!. My work schedule has shifted with the back-to-school season so my map is on hold for the moment though.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:26 pm

[quote="dredfox";p="110308"]
[quote="shimmybot";p="110298"]
Once I've started getting the hang of outputs, I've found them pretty straight forward. I could try to give you a hand (comming from another beginner mapper)[/quote]

I might take you up on that, thanks!. My work schedule has shifted with the back-to-school season so my map is on hold for the moment though.
[/quote]

alright, awesome :) no problem

Just pm me sometime and i'll see what I can do :lol: