A forum dedicated to the Day of Defeat Mod
Zman
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Zman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:16 pm

ok

thanks!
Patrick: "I wumbo, you wumbo, he she we wumbo, wumboing, wumbology, they study of wumbo...come on Spongebob, this is first grade!"

Gen.Ben
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gen.Ben » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:15 pm

[quote="Gen.Ben";p="31659"]
Tommorow, I will do an experiment on Source to see if pistol rolling does empty your clip faster.
[/quote]

Here is the experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxJIoXtzCU
[img]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z80/Gen-Ben/l3eeron/SMS_genben_sig.png[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: pistol rolling

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks for the demonstration Ben...

Prooves exactly what Ive been tryin to say...

It works, but barely.

NJ :clap:

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks, Ben. So you CAN cheat the reload time with "pistol rolling."

I'm not an admin nor policy maker, but that is clearly an exploit. I think players who use that or any other exploit are close cousins to cheaters.

Would it just kill people to play the game without exploiting? That's sad if you have to exploit/cheat to have fun. Probably a reflection on the kind of people they are in real life.

Think about it. :idea:

EDIT: Before the debate begins about how much of an advantage a half of a second gives a player, let me say this: Does it matter?

I say it gives a definite advantage. For example:

Two opposing snipers. One honest, one exploiting. What do you think? Pretty obvious to me.
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:47 pm

No offense DOW, There isnt going to be a debate, this issue is done and over with. I will not allow this thread to go south. Please PM me if you really need to discuss things further, Id be happy to IM on steam or MSN too.

Its nice to know what exploits are out there to arm yourself and react accordingly.... not to use it to "bust" someone.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Hey, Sorry! :oops:

Maybe the tone of my post was too harsh? If so, it was unintentional.

[quote="l3eeron";p="31930"]
Its nice to know what exploits are out there to arm yourself and react accordingly.... not to use it to "bust" someone.[/quote]

I don't know what you mean. I intend to play the game as I always have. I have no intention of playing admin if that's what you're worried about. I'm not sure what you mean by "arm yourself and react accordingly" but not "bust" someone.

The limited admin rights of supporters is clearly a sticky issue with some people, so I decided a while back not to exercise any of them except if I'm the only one who can change a map that everyone wants.

I strongly believe in fair play. That's all.

:)

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm

lol wasnt really talking to you in particular DOW...

sorry, been a long Monday.

Im just afraid everyone will start trying to kick/ban someone for the occasional pistol roll.

[quote="l3eeron";p="31930"]Its nice to know what exploits are out there to arm yourself and react accordingly.... not to use it to "bust" someone.
[/quote]

In other words, If you know that sniper is using that pistol roll, you might want to rethink your plan of attack, thats all. Instead of trying to snipe him back, a sneaky nade might be better.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:09 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="31945"]
sorry, been a long Monday.
[/quote]

Yah, it has for me too. I misunderstood you. :oops:

See you on TV1 later?

Shockwave
Villun
Villun

Post by Shockwave » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:50 pm

All I know is that if I had to choose between gordo and someone using the pistol roll, I would put my money on gordo.
-Shockwave-
[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/mchristoffel/shockwave2.jpg[/img]

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by sgt stutter » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:39 pm

This is for both DoDs and 1.3 from the CAL rules.

8.4 Illegal Binds

- Players are prohibited from binding any action in conjunction with +attack.
- Players may not bind "+attack" to "mwheelup" or "mwheeldown" to accelerate shooting weapons faster than they are intended to be. Players found using "+attack" binds will be suspended for a minimum of one game.
- The "silent crouch walk" exploit will also not be tolerated. Punishment will be treated the same as any exploit.
-CAL admins reserve the right to deem any future infractions as legal or illegal

Now how we discern from fastswitch vs this bind is the difficult part. If you suspect someone is using this then get a demo and submit it to an admin and we can review, that's about all we can do at the moment.
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo

shuya
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by shuya » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:37 pm

ok heres the scoop ,,if u just bind mouse wheel up to pistopl and shoot with kar mouse wheel to pistol then back to kar its pointless and is just done as habit for good players..now if u bind mousewheel up to previous weapon used and throw both of your grenades so u now have no previous weapon to go to thats the uber fast quik switch
[img]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/Divius/DaftPunkSig.jpg[/img]

Morbid
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Morbid » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:31 am

the haxor has spoken let us view and read over his insight :lol:
[img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9954/backgroundnv6.jpg[/img]

(Clergy)CardinalRoark
Villun
Villun

Post by (Clergy)CardinalRoark » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:03 am

Phew, I started reading this thread and though "Damn, whenever I run around I switch like a crazy OCD loon, I'm gonna get my butt (what's the swearing policy here? I'm guessing the standard "family friendly" deal.) banned!" ;)

I thought the thread was going to be about mouse wheel pistoling (which I've heard of, haven't ever tried it out but it sounds like a hella cheap exploit, especially if you did such a thing with a carbine)

Anyhow, I can't say I find pistol rolling that offensive, gives a tiny amount of time, which can be huge against a kar, but isn't a game breaker. :)

malus
Villun
Villun

Post by malus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:06 am

my exp. with it is yes you can shoot before the x-hair comes up but it doesn't do any dmg

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:22 pm

I think we are confusing two different exploits here.

One is binding your attack to the mouse wheel instead of left clicking. This works with semi-auto weapons where you spin the mouse wheel to convert your semi-auto weapon (pistol, carbine) to full-auto.

The other, which I thought is what we were talking about, is where you bind firing a bolt action rifle (k98, k98 sniper, Springfield) with pulling the pistol to switch back and forth to cheat the the time it takes to work the bolt action. See the excellent video provided above by Ben.

Whether either gives you much of an advantage is not the issue, in my opinion. An exploit or cheat is an exploit or cheat regardless of the effectiveness.

Furthermore, as was pointed out earlier, players using these exploits are likely using other exploits (and possibly cheats) that are not so obvious.

I would like to make this sincere statement:

I will NEVER use an exploit/cheat/bind that gives me an advantage (even slightly) over other players including anything that strays from the way the developers intended the game to be played.

I think most everyone who plays here feels the same way.

*DOW removes his soap box and ends the passionate speech for fair play*

:)