Total votes: 62

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: the wolf who cried STACK!

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 am

NerevarineKing wrote:I apologize for starting a quote train, I don't want anyone to think TV6's aren't welcome here.
^

I think I am just one of those weird people that so long as I am not dying 3 seconds out of the gate I'm happy. Honestly I couldn't care less which team wins or loses, which kinda puts me in a weird spot as far as an opinion on this. I understand and realize that some people do care, I just seem to notice that rolls start happening on 6 (or really any server) when one team has bad loadouts like 3 snipers, 3 spys, and 3 scouts, no medics/heavies, have terrible teamwork, and then wonder why they get rolled in under 5 mins. For me, these match issues have always worked themselves out after about a round or two , maybe a few folks leaving, etc. If something like this happens I will switch things up (usually class x to medic) when I see/realize no one is gonna take that role and people start complaining about it. But I have never experienced playing on 6 where one team is flattening the other due to too much skill on one side.

So yes, crying stack and leaving is definitely a cop out to your team. Unfortunately, 99% those folks are going to be pubbers who are on for one time and leave, for a regular would know better. So it is up to us villuns to try and speak up whenever someone starts to go off to head off down that path. Even if they wind up leaving, at the very least it should do something for your team's moral if a few someone's are taking an active role in trying to make your side perform a little better.

(and on a side note curiosity snidely, are you switching teams due to the auto-balance when a "stacker" complains and leaves? And something about a competent lost person? I am having trouble understanding that sentence :oops: )
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:50 am

ADevilishPotato wrote: I just seem to notice that rolls start happening on 6 (or really any server) when one team has bad loadouts like 3 snipers, 3 spys, and 3 scouts, no medics/heavies, have terrible teamwork, and then wonder why they get rolled in under 5 mins. For me, these match issues have always worked themselves out after about a round or two , maybe a few folks leaving, etc. If something like this happens I will switch things up (usually class x to medic) when I see/realize no one is gonna take that role and people start complaining about it. But I have never experienced playing on 6 where one team is flattening the other due to too much skill on one side.
This is indeed the most common source of the problem. Bad class balance is a brutal killer of teams, but has absolutely nothing to do with stacking - just poor resource management by one team. Bad loadouts are a part of this in my mind - A demopan is not the same as a demoman, for example, and there is no "serious gameplay" situation on Dustbowl where a demoknight is justifiable - the explosives are needed. Class balance problems are themselves often caused by the second big issue we see...

Bad communication is the next giant team killer, and also has nothing to do with stacking. On any number of occasions, I've found that the only communication done by the losing team the entire round is to complain about a stack after getting pounded. Not a single person used their mic, called out a spy, typed out where the enemy gear was, or coordinated anything. This is why I almost don't shut-up on mic; so much of the time, I'm the only one willing to talk! When even 2 or 3 people all start talking, calling problems, and announcing locations, it can turn around a whole team. Be those people! NEVER be negative, and never criticize the team without constructive feedback included.

Telling people they have horrible class balance, even when true, is useless - they probably have horrible class balance because they don't know what good class balance is. Advise the team that your class balance is skewed, and make suggestions! Do it politely, include yourself in the pronouns (use "we" instead of "you," etc), and offer to be part of the solution, even if it takes work! "Hey guys, we really need an engineer. I'm the only medic, but I'll be happy to go engy if somebody can take over healing from me." People react to constructive feedback, not insults. Even after a loss, keep up the positive communications flow. Praise what went well, the improvements seen, good shots made, etc. Talk about how you can build on that in the next round. Even minor compliments during the middle of the round ("Good shot, soandso!" or "Nice sap, soandso!") make a big difference. Use peoples' names when you compliment them. Praise is addictive, and not only will those players want to keep upping their game to prove themselves worthy of your words, but other players will strive harder to be noticed as well. Unless something is seriously impeding the team from one particular person, keep critiques generalized and without using a name. Even general critiques can be phrased in positive instead of negative ways - "Ok guys, let's provide some cover so our engineers can move up!" is a much nicer way of saying it than "Why the hell are our engies building so far back?"

It can take time to pull an uncoordinated team up, but it can be done. You'll lose a couple people along the way, but if you are being positive and communicating, you will retain a core of folks who will get better with each step. As each round goes by and you improve bit by bit, these players start to believe, and come to understand how to create a positive feedback loop, rather than a negative. When you do finally come out on top, there's no feeling like it, and that single victory wipes out the memories of an entire day's frustrations in a glorious moment of achievement and good feelings. Many are the times I've seen non-regs marvel at the positive results obtained from coordination and communication, commenting openly about how they didn't think it could be done, and how they're adding us to their favorite server list because of these types of things. Heck, I bet a fair number of folks here first became server regs under similar circumstances, and then decided to join our community by coming to the forums.

I'll leave off with an anecdote, since I know I'm already writing a text wall. A couple years ago, a situation similar to that described above was unfolding. I joined and began voice-comming, making suggestions based on what I was seeing, and slowly the team improved. After a couple hours of play, the server time ran out, and I departed. A random player from the server that I'd never met before sent a friend request, which I accepted. He'd friended me in order to leave a comment on my profile, to the effect that he'd just had his favorite game of TF2 ever. We hadn't stomped all over anybody - in fact, we'd lost 5 straight rounds before pulling off a victory in our 6th, just as server map time was running out. That didn't matter however, as the teamwork and communication we'd built up (by the end, it wasn't just me - it was everybody on the team participating and helping) made a lasting impression, and the fact that we'd been able to turn around and win against a team that had utterly crushed us in the first round, without any significant changes to personnel, was enough to put that game in his memory. We didn't allow blame, we didn't allow quitting, we worked together and fought hard, and did what needed to be done. I see others do this as well, time to time, but not as often as we could or should. If we're going to be on the servers, it's our responsibility as community members to work our butts off to make them the best darn place they can be. This doesn't mean handing people a win on a silver platter. Instead, teach them to win, and the lesson will stick with them always.
-Boss Llama

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:28 pm

I am a mummy wrote: (3) If the game is starting to get serious and its apparent that both teams are trying to play their best, don't demopan or trolldier around. Either get a little serious or swap over to rotation or go seed TV3/8. This is not an attack on the demopan way of life but if people are making a serious effort on your team it is disrespectful and a waste of a player slot on your team to troll around.
That said, sometimes people need to chill out, relax, and just play the game :lol: .
That rule is aimed at me isn't it :P

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:56 pm

As I said in the "culture of stacks and rolls" thread, I don't believe in teamswapping to alleviate an apparent stack.

I'm all for well-matched teams and grueling back-and-forth slugfests (does it get any better than that?), but teams don't reach that coveted state of equilibrium through personnel alone. It takes time, trial and error, adjusting class makeup, changing tempo, changing loadouts, etc.
What we need to do in the event of multiple rolls is just keep playing how we always have. The rolled team will adjust, or continue to get destroyed. If they can't overcome their opposition, then they all now have a new level of play to aspire to.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Cat Square wrote:As I said in the "culture of stacks and rolls" thread, I don't believe in teamswapping to alleviate an apparent stack.

I'm all for well-matched teams and grueling back-and-forth slugfests (does it get any better than that?), but teams don't reach that coveted state of equilibrium through personnel alone. It takes time, trial and error, adjusting class makeup, changing tempo, changing loadouts, etc.
What we need to do in the event of multiple rolls is just keep playing how we always have. The rolled team will adjust, or continue to get destroyed. If they can't overcome their opposition, then they all now have a new level of play to aspire to.
I disagree. I've seen it be quite effective for a person like Spiff to change teams and totally change the way the game is going. For one, he communicates. The team getting rolled almost never is communicating, and a person who changes teams and starts talking can make some things happen. Second, he is great at pointing out when the team has some class issues. Third, he provides some positive help to teams that more often than not have a bunch of newer folk who need some help on where to go and what to do when there.

The side benefit is once someone like him leaves my team, it forces me and those on my team to make up for the loss and improve our play. Happens quite often. Today my team was rolling on tv7 when draca got autobalanced. Poof went out communication, and the other team proceeded to roll us. Good lesson.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:25 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:
Cat Square wrote:As I said in the "culture of stacks and rolls" thread, I don't believe in teamswapping to alleviate an apparent stack.
I disagree. I've seen it be quite effective for a person like Spiff to change teams and totally change the way the game is going. For one, he communicates..
I'd say I have about a 30% success rate when I switch teams to alleviate a stack. When it does work, it's often the case that the other team was just really desperate for a half decent medic.

It often doesn't work, but it's incredibly rewarding when it does.
:)

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I disagree as well. Crushing teams of pubbers, children, and players with trackpads over and over is not fun for me. If the other team is obviously not having a good time then do something about it. These are community servers where noobs and public players are encouraged to join or are even placed here by the game itself. If you are a solid player who understands teamwork in TF2 then swap over and see if you can help organize a team to make the entire experience more fun for everyone.

Rolling a team in 3 minutes is embarrassing, not fun. Its like heading to mid with 3 heavies, you don't even have to try to win.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Maple Man wrote:
I am a mummy wrote: (3) If the game is starting to get serious and its apparent that both teams are trying to play their best, don't demopan or trolldier around. Either get a little serious or swap over to rotation or go seed TV3/8. This is not an attack on the demopan way of life but if people are making a serious effort on your team it is disrespectful and a waste of a player slot on your team to troll around.
That said, sometimes people need to chill out, relax, and just play the game.
That rule is aimed at me isn't it
You haven't been around long enough to see some of the stuff I try to pull. Shall I show you my strange Targe (126 kills) or my strange Mantreads (66)?

That said, even when I play derpy loadouts (if demoknighting is even considered derpy) I still play objectives. I don't Mantread on Dustbowl due to the low ceiling but any other map i'll purposefully aim for the objectives as more people usually congregate there. I say that even if the loadout is less effective than you'd like, if they can play it well why not let them? I've actually gotten to the point where I can't even use a sticky launcher anymore because I've been playing demoknight loadouts for so long. Even though I've eschewed a sticky launcher, my best lives have been demoknight lives. Personal kill (31), damage (9022), and destruction (16) records all reside on my Demoknight loadout consisting of a Loch, a Targe, and an Eyelander. I tell medics not to uber me for the reason that my loadout is poor for ubering and I go about my own thing; picking off straglers, dropping pipes into large masses of people, and shelling guns from afar.

Alizee put it pretty well. From my experience 95% of the supposed teamstacks aren't real teamstacks; usually they're the result of poor class choices. Three snipers, two spies, three engies, a scout, and no medics on defense? Nope, and no one ever places the blame on themselves, even I don't blame myself. I'm going to point out that it's actually a good thing the game has a push-to-talk option because some of the stuff I say out loud but not over voice while I play would likely paint me a really bad picture, much worse than I've probably already made.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

jettah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jettah » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:16 pm

TV7/6 Represent.

Agreed with everything above. I have found when in a really bad losing slump, or "getting rolled" I take some extra effort to make myself heard and communicate. It is contagious. Even if you are just calling out where you see a sniper or SG. People will start to join in, everyone gets talking and you can turn things around.

The back and forth gameplay of TV7 and TV6 when I "have that dustbowl itch (or TV7 is empty)" is why I came to this community (as Alizee said). Its been a great 5+ years playing here.

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 am

Good thread, Snidely. I had to do a quick check to make sure you didn’t drop me from your steam friend’s list. Phew! Still there, my friend.

Many good ideas above on how to deal with the problem of stacks. Lots of causes for stacks. Lots of different incarnations of them. Many reasonable technical solutions suggested in this thread, and many threads before – including my sad “stacks and rolls – le sigh” thread to which Cat Square referred above.

But regardless of which “technical” solution(s) is/are chosen, their implementation requires: 1) agreeable and responsive players on both sides; and 2) substantial and sustained communication (as Alizee Fan says). It can be done, and it has been done. But it takes effort and it takes a toll – having to exert so much energy trying to manage the balance of teams in order to achieve the goal of having fun.

At any rate, I got worn out. In early June, I just didn’t want to deal with the “stack” issue anymore. So I set the game aside for a few months.

I am happy to see a truly dedicated and concerned player like Snidely fostering discussion and concern about Dustbowl team balance. He is setting the best example for TF2 players, noobs and vets alike. Best wishes for a positive and enduring outcome...

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:08 pm

prang wrote:

I disagree as well. Crushing teams of pubbers, children, and players with trackpads over and over is not fun for me. If the other team is obviously not having a good time then do something about it. These are community servers where noobs and public players are encouraged to join or are even placed here by the game itself. If you are a solid player who understands teamwork in TF2 then swap over and see if you can help organize a team to make the entire experience more fun for everyone.

Rolling a team in 3 minutes is embarrassing, not fun. Its like heading to mid with 3 heavies, you don't even have to try to win.
Hey now....! I resemble that remark.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 pm

What it comes down to is 9 times out of 10 when a team is "rolling" it's because of class choice by far. The demoknight/pan or the soldier with shovel and people with horrible loadouts taking up spots on the team usually leads to the team being rolled. Those players are just basically trolling or leveling their weapons so they don't care. Losing makes them even more likely to switch and play a "proper" style.

Communication matters, but i've seen big communicators (Like Spiff) on a team, being a team carry as Demo and the team still easily loses because there are bad DM classes or bad support.

It's a learning game i guess, so if you are just "bad" because you don't know how to play then there's not much we can do about that but help you learn. But when there are "trolling" loadouts that irritates the hell out of me especially when they are bottom scoring.

It'd also be nice to see more "support" oriented classes more limited. 3 Spies, 3 Snipers and 4 scout teams have been happening a lot lately. More irritating when you were the original of that class, doing well and have to switch because you can't have 1/4 of the team being that class. Then BAM another person joins as that class.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:40 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:I've seen it be quite effective for a person like Spiff to change teams and totally change the way the game is going.
I've seen Spiff switch teams for better and for worse. I've seen teams disintegrate after Spiff leaves -- good teams too.

Professor_Frink
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Professor_Frink » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Haha, loved the title, Snidely.

I guess I would just reiterate what Mummy posted as far as etiquite.

Give it a few rounds to level out before complaining that things are uneven and switch up the classes to more damage classes first. It seems like the last few months I've been seeing a lot more cries of "STAAAAACK!" when a team gets rolled more than one round in a row. 90% of the time, if I switch over to that team to try to help out, I find a team full of snipers/spies/scouts and no medic.

I can recall a game from a few months ago where people were complaining about a team stack before the round started right after the server reset! That team then went on to roll us on on defense and hold us to the first point in stage 1 on offense. I got some heat when I called them out for their "boy who cried wolf" moaning. :roll:

With that said, here is how I generally decide if a team actually is stacked:

1) What is the overall team scores? 12-2 is not unusual - especially if the losing team just switched to offense. 20-2 is is bad and the server will begin to die if things don't change quick (I think the worst I have seen is 32-1 :shock: )

2) What percentage of regulars are on each team? Most of the Dustbowl folk at least recognize the names of other regulars. If I see a team with only 1-2 ppl I don't recognize vs a team with 5-6 ppl I don't recognize, I would say things are stacked. Ideally, a team should have no more than two more regulars than the opposing team (again, not always possible or practical, but maybe something to strive for).

3) Did a team just get stuck on the first capture point of the first stage? This is fairly rare and takes a very well organized defense in combination with a pretty inept offense. Again, heavy/demo/soldier are great classes to just deal some damage.

With all that said, about once a week I find myself in one of the more "intense" matches and hear great things from people new to the server ("wow, that was a lot of fun. Never played a game that intense before! Great teamwork, thanks," etc). I know that is why I started coming back to TV VI and I hope we continue to bring more people to it for this reason.

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm

It's often super hard to judge how unbalanced the teams are, especially in round 1 where blu tends to win around 95% of the time. I find that the tell-tale signs of unbalanced teams is a quick win for blu third round or a shutout defense on red first round. Typically if this happens and I'm on the stronger team, I'll switch.
I am a mummy wrote:(4) DO NOT SWITCH FROM BLU TEAM TO RED TEAM FOR STAGE 3.
It's not cool! To explain: BLU team will sometimes powertrain through RED on the first two stages which puts the timer for RED to defend at 20 minutes. The good players that were carrying the BLU team will swap to RED and now everyone on BLU hates their lives for the next 20 minutes. Please, please, PLEASE stop doing this. I *will* start calling people out who do.
Most of the time I'd agree with this but if round 2 is exceptionally fast, I've found switching makes for a good round 3.

However, if I ever switch to someone's disapproval, I'd prefer to be called out on it so I know to switch back cause, as I said, it's difficult to judge how unbalanced the teams are.
Last edited by F13ND on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Sparky!