TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TF2 Spawn Time Preferences (Take 2)

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:46 am

Well, the numbers are close. The majority still wants the fast-respawn but there is clearly a decent demand for stock. Now the question is if we try it, do we switch a current server (such as TV1, I extremely highly doubt TV7 is going to change so drastically) or simply start a new server?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

TheCarpe wrote:Well, the numbers are close. The majority still wants the fast-respawn but there is clearly a decent demand for stock. Now the question is if we try it, do we switch a current server (such as TV1, I extremely highly doubt TV7 is going to change so drastically) or simply start a new server?
how about switching TV3 to a stock rotation instead of koth only?

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:56 am

I dunno, TV3 has been quite popular almost since the day it opened, I see no reason to shut it down.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

TV3 is doing quite well, I believe. The fact that the Valve system is sending people to it has created what seems to be a dynamic mix of regs and new players that is doing far better than any KOTH attempt we've done before.
-Boss Llama

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Leave TV3 alone, 9man teams and stock is a nice mix for KOTH, if you switched it to full rotation it'd probably have to go to 24man.
You could try it on TV1, where it'd help counter the 16 man teams, but personally I'd suggest starting a 24man stock Payload+Attack/Defense to test it on.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Guardian wrote:Jim Beam I think that's referring to the poll not the discussion.
Yeah, I just meant the poll. Only vote once, but post as must as you want. A healthy debate is encouraged.

Also, TV3 has been a huge success and won't be changing any time soon.

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm

One_Medic_Army wrote:but personally I'd suggest starting a 24man stock Payload+Attack/Defense to test it on.
That's exactly what TV7 is. It only has turbine and doublecross in the way of CTF maps. If anything, we need something that has more CTF, which would lend very well to the wave spawns. I know I'm not the only one that misses CTF_Well
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:The fact that the Valve system is sending people to it has created what seems to be a dynamic mix of regs and new players that is doing far better than any KOTH attempt we've done before.
Yes, this is why I suggested if we try TV1 we also convert it sufficiently that it pulls in players from the Valve system. It would be a good opportunity to bring in new people to the community and support one of our servers. Unfortunately, Valve doesn't have one for Custom Maps. . .
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Katotsu wrote:Personally I'd prefer fast wave respawns. The current fast respawns don't aid the team style of this game. If its been tried and rejected I'll go with standard respawns. Even though I'm one of those suicidal scouts that dies a lot, it'd help the gameplay out more than it'd hurt. Also, regardless of what we set the respawns to, won't that attract the crowd that prefers that timer?
trunicated wrote:I'm pretty sure TV6 uses stock respawn times
Our only server with stock respawns right now is TV3.
And I hates them, but I love tv3.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:42 pm

well I figured since you guys don't want to touch TV7 just yet that TV3 would make a nice test bed since it's already running stock spawns.

TV1 would be ok but the fact that it's 32 players doesn't really sit well with me, others may disagree, but I figure that these settings should be tested on 24 player servers.
Plinko wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:The fact that the Valve system is sending people to it has created what seems to be a dynamic mix of regs and new players that is doing far better than any KOTH attempt we've done before.
Yes, this is why I suggested if we try TV1 we also convert it sufficiently that it pulls in players from the Valve system. It would be a good opportunity to bring in new people to the community and support one of our servers. Unfortunately, Valve doesn't have one for Custom Maps. . .
I don't think valve allows servers with increased_maxplayers into their matchmaking system, and even though I've actually run into some 32 player insta-spawns servers while using matchmaking I think for the sake argument we should at least try to uphold valve's rules regardless of there being a way to bypass them :P
trunicated wrote:
One_Medic_Army wrote:but personally I'd suggest starting a 24man stock Payload+Attack/Defense to test it on.
That's exactly what TV7 is. It only has turbine and doublecross in the way of CTF maps. If anything, we need something that has more CTF, which would lend very well to the wave spawns. I know I'm not the only one that misses CTF_Well
CTF is just awful regardless of respawn settings :( [/opinion]

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I'd love to see a 24 slot payload only server

Devastator
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Devastator » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Fast Respawns (5-10s) ftw :dance:
no skill just gots and lotta lucky

AMD Phenom x4 9950 @ 3180 .... ATI radeon HD 3870 @ 810 .... OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 @ 1131 .... AMD kicking

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm

[TOAD] Fano wrote:
Plinko wrote:
I don't think valve allows servers with increased_maxplayers into their matchmaking system, and even though I've actually run into some 32 player insta-spawns servers while using matchmaking I think for the sake argument we should at least try to uphold valve's rules regardless of there being a way to bypass them :P
TF2 Quickplay Overview wrote:I increased the max number of players above 24. Will that cause my server to not receive quickplay matches?

Not entirely. The quickplay system looks at the max reported number of players. (It does not check any tags.) If the max player count is higher than 24, a scoring penalty is added. The penalty amount depends on how far over 24 the max players is set. It is relatively small for maxplayers=25, and increases up to maxplayers=32. If the max player count is set above 32, the server is completely excluded. We add this penalty because the game has been tuned for 24 players. Increasing the number of players beyond 24 can have negative effects on performance and gameplay balance.

The quickplay system uses the server browser under the hood, so the player counts (both current and maximum) it uses in its decision making are the same player counts shown for your server in the server browser.
Although I agree that the best place to try stock respawns would be a 24 slot server.

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm on the bandwagon of TV1 going back to 24 player. It could be a vanilla weapons (with hats) server maybe?

OR! OR! OR!

It could be a 5-point CP server =3 with lots of Badlands =3
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Buzzy Beetle wrote: It could be a 5-point CP server =3 with lots of Badlands =3
My heart is aflutter at this notion.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius