Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Post by Will T. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm

This game has been on preorder for a few days and will be released on the 31st. I quite enjoyed the first one and am strongly considering giving this one a go. The first one was basically Mario Kart with Sega characters (obviously) and AI that actually doesn't cheat for once. The new one changes up the character roster quite a bit from the original and adds a bunch more tracks with new themes, as well as the gimmick of vehicles that transform between cars, boats, and planes (races often have different routes for each lap as a result - for example, the game's Sonic & Knuckles Sky Sanctuary-themed course runs the first and third laps with airplanes, but the second lap uses cars on a different route). The new game also adds online multiplayer and a couple of playable third-party characters, including Wreck-It Ralph.

Additionally, there is a video floating around that apparently shows Heavy, Spy, and Pyro from TF2 as a playable tag-team of sorts. Supposedly they will be exclusive to the PC version but are accessible in the console versions through hacking. Whether it's real or not is as of yet unclear; decide for yourself:

If it's real, awesome! If it's not, that's some pretty impressive editing they've done. I'm not sure whether there's any truth to it or not, but neither Valve nor Sega has said anything about it, so either it's supposed to be a last-minute surprise or it's a hoax. I'm not ready to lean either way yet personally.

Is there anyone else here interested in getting this? If I can find 3 other people, I'd like to go in on a four-pack (each copy comes out to $20 instead of the individual pre-order price of $27). Additionally, if somebody not in WA (i.e. somebody other than me) does the actual purchase, we can avoid sales tax.

EDIT: I'll make a list here to keep track of who has said they're interested and to know when we have 4 (which we do now!):
- Will T.
- BigBiker05
- Zork Nemesis
- Plinko
Last edited by Will T. on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am

Some of my favorite times at theville were playing ZeroGear. I would love another silly racing game like that to get popular.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:04 am

From what I'm reading, the TF2 crossover is legit. TVTropes has TF2 listed as a guest franchise and Dennis Bateman and Gary Schwartz are credited on IMDb for their respective TF2 roles. Furthermore, i'm also seeing Wreck-it-Ralph on the cast as well as Banjo and Kazooie (for the Xbox version), and my favorite: Vyse who I understand was absent from the first game.

Danica Patrick is also apparently in the game for some reason, probably related to the Daytona arcade games.

If you're picking up a four-pack, I'll be willing to go for it.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:54 am

I'll go for a four pack. I really want another TV silly race game. I hope the PC port isn't crap. Like I said before, ZeroGear was some of my favorite ville moments, would love for some of that back.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 am

I played this on console, and either it has a learning curve or its just really hard to control.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:00 pm

The Steam page was updated today, confirming the TF2 crossover! The PC version also apparently includes characters from Total War: Shogun and Football Manager. Odd choices if you ask me, but whatever. :P

I somehow missed the last line of Zork's post before. I've added him to the list, so we just need 1 more person for the four-pack. Any more takers?

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

The Zero Gear MLG Pro team has been debating buying this, however the TF2 impressions are so bad we may have to pass.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Katotsu wrote:I played this on console, and either it has a learning curve or its just really hard to control.
Probably the latter. Unfortunate case is that if a kart racer isn't comparable to Mario Kart, it isn't going to do well. Case in point: F1 Race Stars, Zero Gear, etc. If it's considerably cheaper (Zero Gear) or does interesting things to innovate (Blur, Split Second), it can survive for a bit, but in the end it won't have any staying power.
BigBiker05 wrote:I'll go for a four pack. I really want another TV silly race game. I hope the PC port isn't crap. Like I said before, ZeroGear was some of my favorite ville moments, would love for some of that back.
Game was just an avenue for them, not the cause of the moments. Realistically, Zero Gear is actually a pretty bad game in terms of design and physics.
I am the 1%!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm

BETTEH wrote:The Zero Gear MLG Pro team has been debating buying this, however the TF2 impressions are so bad we may have to pass.
I have a feeling they used beta footage for the preview video, as they don't sound anything like the correct actors, and the correct actors are in fact listed on the game's IMDb page. Likely they had placeholder voices prior to finishing the PC version.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Don't buy it for the TF2, buy it for the Shogun 2 fish.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 pm

While I would love a Pyro Car, as seen in the video, it sadly does not come with one. I must pass.
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Biscuit, Darklino, Gizanked, BETTEH just bought a 4 pack. Let's do this, MLG Pro Zero Gear Team.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34 pm

I'll take the fourth slot if it's still open in the 4-pack, Will.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Plinko wrote:I'll take the fourth slot if it's still open in the 4-pack, Will.
Indeed it is!

We have our four now! :D So now comes the big question: who makes the actual purchase? I'd do it, but if someone outside of WA does it instead we can avoid sales tax (close to $8.00).

It looks like I might be able to get it through GamersGate without paying sales tax, but if we want to keep it entirely within Steam (which I think is simpler) then someone else will have to do it.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 pm

I can do it, though i'm waiting on a check before i'm able; should come in sometime tomorrow I hope.