Terraria 1.2

A place to discuss other games such as World of Warcraft, BF2 or Red Orchestra
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Terraria 1.2

Post by Guardian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:32 am

Just beat the twins using a combination of dodging through gravity potions and using a long wooden skybridge to run across and server as an arena.

Now I have hallowed armor and I'll just be killing metal skeletron to get a hallowed repeater then it's off to the jungle!

EDIT: Well that was easy, Skeletron Prime always seemed like the weakest boss. If anyone is on tomorrow, I'd like to find the jungle boss on the server.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Slaughtered the Wall of Flesh tonight. I didn't even realize it was dead for a few seconds after I won when I suddenly thought "Wait, why isn't it chasing me?" :P
Hardmode begins now! Time to find the Crimson Key and become unbeatable!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 am

Here's a tip for you hardmode players. If your world initially spawned with Lead as a resource, generate new worlds until you get one with Iron and keep it on the side. To craft hard mode boss spawn triggers, you need Iron and CANNOT substitute Lead. Having a pre-hard mode world available also makes farming the spawn items easier as hard mode mobs don't drop the other ingredients: lenses, chunks/vertebrae, and bones.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:33 am

At long last, I have defeated all the great bosses of terraria after braving the jungle dungeon.... twice (first one was glitched and didn't have a thingy to summon the final boss :/). Unlike Zork non of those OP vampire daggers or anything from the biome chests because none of them dropped for me. So I had to rely on a crafted armor set from the new jungle ore, a mushroom spear from Truffle, Good old Mega-shark, some leaf blower magic item and a trusty ally I got from beating the plant boss. However I managed to beat him relatively easy even though he got glitched and the head was in the wall for some reason.

I still have a couple things left to do but overall I'm satisfied with Terraria. This 1.2 update has allowed me to do another full playthrough and enjoy it, I'm really glad I got it.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:22 pm

So today I manged to take down both Plantera, by drawing her to the surface, and also Golem, largely by restricting his movement and spamming away with the Nimbus Rod (amazing wep btw). Still can't beat those stupid mechanical eye twins though.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 am

The Domer wrote:So today I manged to take down both Plantera, by drawing her to the surface, and also Golem, largely by restricting his movement and spamming away with the Nimbus Rod (amazing wep btw). Still can't beat those stupid mechanical eye twins though.
If you're that far in the game, get yourself a Megashark, Crystal Bullets, some wings, and drink every buff potion you can find. If you keep moving they're easy to dodge.

If you really want to ensure success and don't feel bad about abusing OP weapons and armor, full Spectre with Golden Shower, Crystal Storm/Leaf Blower, and Magnet Sphere is pretty much a guaranteed win so long as you can keep hitting them.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

I had Skeletron Prime random-spawn on me at the same time as a Blood Moon tonight. Golden Shower + Vampire Knives = a winning combination against him, provided you also have thick enough armor. I did a lot of running back and forth over a flat area while fighting him, which mostly let me dodge his attacks, but that saw-arm will home in on you relentlessly. I still had to use a Healing Potion (but just one!) to stay alive at one point.

I used the resulting Souls of Fright to craft the Neptune's Shell, then that plus a Moon Charm for the Moon Shell. Once I can kill a couple more Ice Golems and get the rest of the Frost Armor (currently only have the breastplate), I'll take on the other two bosses.

I also spawned four Brains of Cthulhu in a row just for the heck of it. Each one lived about 20 seconds against the Golden Shower. :P Made most of a platinum coin by selling the resulting drops.

The endgame is way more fun than before. I used to fear the bosses due to how near-impossible it was to defeat them (I only ever beat the Destroyer in 1.1 through the abuse of an exploit that was fixed in 1.2). Now the new gear makes them fun! Still challenging, but a fun challenge rather than a "Crap, this guy is OP, how did they ever expect me to win this?" challenge.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am

You can get the same effect of the Golden Shower's defense down by using Ichor Flasks instead of the spell itself. Vampire Knives are considered melee and thus are able to benefit from Imbuement Flasks. Additionally (or alternatively, I don't know if you can combine flasks) you can use Venom and Cursed Flame flasks to achieve the same effect of the Frost Armor without it. Or you can stack the armor, a flask, and a Fire Gauntlet/Magma Stone to achieve three different sources of damage over time at once.

Make sure to reforge the knives to have the Godly prefix; best prefix you can have.

Best way to get Frost Armor is to bring a Battle Potion and a Water Candle (steal one from the dungeon) to a snow biome while it's raining/snowing. I lucked out and ended up in the snow during both a blizzard and a Blood Moon and was able to beat the thing up six times in one night. Being on the edge of the Crimson probably increased spawn rates.

Alongside the Frost Armor, some other items to consider for the Vampire Knives:
Fire Gauntlet: Takes some effort to get (mostly killing the Wall of Flesh several times), basically a combination of the Magma Stone (sets targets on fire), Wild Claws (boosted attack speed), Titan Glove (boosted knockback), and Avenger Emblem (global damage bonus). You're after the speed, damage, and fire with that one, and the fire effect also turns the knives into a decent light source when exploring.
Sun and Moon Stones: Difficult to obtain (Sun from Golem, Moon during Solar Eclipse), but very powerful giving global stat bonuses across the board during the day and night respectively. Improves attack speed, movement speed, damage, defense, and more. The Moon Stone's bonus will stack with your Moon Shell during the night.
Charm of Myths: To boost your healing, combine a Philosopher's Stone with a Band of Regeneration to get an increase in health regen and reduction in potion cooldown.
Orchalium Armor: As an alternative to Frost if you pick up a Fire Gauntlet, Orchalium's set bonus causes successful attacks to shoot flower petals at the thing you hit. These petals penetrate walls and enemies and deal a decent amount of damage. They do not give you health back though.
Turtle Armor: Another alternative. You're probably straight up tanking things with Vampire Knives and being careless due to the massive healing kickback. Having Turtle Armor allows you to turn that into a weapon itself by downing a Thorns Potion for extra damage when you get hit.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 am

Lightning boots plus wings. I don't kno the stats off the top of my head, but they make a huge advantage to wings.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 am

So I finally got a full set of spectre armor last. They are silly. I fought the destroyer without even moving by using the Nimbus Rod and the Heat Ray. Never lost more than ~10 health due to the crazy amount of regen I got, and the fight was over in less than 30 seconds.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 am

The Domer wrote:So I finally got a full set of spectre armor last. They are silly. I fought the destroyer without even moving by using the Nimbus Rod and the Heat Ray. Never lost more than ~10 health due to the crazy amount of regen I got, and the fight was over in less than 30 seconds.
Use Golden Shower with Spectre. Position it right and he'll go down even faster.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:46 pm

So I got a ancient cobalt helmet and legs drop off the same jungle hornet. Then got a deadly Uzi next. What are the odds?
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Eight minutes of running back and forth, several failed attempts at kiting, teleporting, and equipping the right weapon, but after twenty minutes of patience and persistence, I can say:
Suck it, Dungeon Guardian!

What it took:
A Megashark
A couple thousand Crystal Bullets
Full Frost Armor
A Magic Mirror and a safe spot to respawn
400-500 blocks of Asphalt (craft 2 stone and a gel in a Blend-o-Matic per block)
4 Teleporters
About 150 wire and all three color wrenches
Paitence, as each shot only did 1 per hit, with criticals of 2 every now and then.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Was it just one or multiple Last time i walked into the dungeon without killing skeletron, i was killed by like 3 or them from 3 different directions. Still, very cool.
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Half the fight I had two chasing me, but I managed to get too far away from one of them allowing me to focus down one. I did have a failed attempt where I had four clustered up after me though.