MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by MasterChef » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Uber! wrote:I've played the ESO beta but I can't say anything about it because of the NDA.

You've already said too much, you will be missed.

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l33tOMGlolz!11!shift » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 am

Alizée Fan wrote:The problem with trying to convert the TES world to an MMO is that the games and lore are based on the singular power and uniquely special nature of your particular one character. YOU are the most powerful person in the world, YOU are the chosen one gifted by the gods, YOU are the master of every guild, savior of every city, and defeater of every evil. YOU are the one being out of everybody in all creation who can do what you do. Think of it - TES characters do not lead raids. TES characters are loners, and everything is written with that in mind.

Being Dragonborn loses significance when 1000 of your neighbors are as well. A special pardon from the king is of no import when entire ships full of royal-pardoned prisoners arrive every day. Everything that defines the story of TES games is untenable in an MMO. The huge open world is doable (and would be cool), and many of the mechanics would be fine, but the lore and history would have to be completely eliminated and replaced, or else all the players will simply have to be everyday guards and peasants while NPC saviors do the big stuff. One way or another, the characters we're used to playing will not translate in the slightest.
This!
Uber! wrote:I've played the ESO beta but I can't say anything about it because of the NDA.
I saw a bunch about it at PAXEast this past spring. it looked nice but didn't seem like it had brought anything new to the MMO table. The hype was purely around past successes with the single player game. Since you are under NDA I can't ask for any details but could you yes/no that they are bringing anything new to the table at all? It certainly didn't seem like it when I saw it and couldn't understand the fanfare that was going on. It seemed undeserved.
-OS/2

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:41 am

I played it at pax-e there was nothing ground breaking, but it was enjoyable...and I think that really is the key moving forward...everyone trying to break new mmo ground has failed in spectacular fashion, instead keep the game solid with tried and true methods...and blow it out the the water with story writing
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift wrote:I saw a bunch about it at PAXEast this past spring. it looked nice but didn't seem like it had brought anything new to the MMO table. The hype was purely around past successes with the single player game. Since you are under NDA I can't ask for any details but could you yes/no that they are bringing anything new to the table at all? It certainly didn't seem like it when I saw it and couldn't understand the fanfare that was going on. It seemed undeserved.
All I'll say is yes I think they are bringing new things to the table and its the first MMO I've actually enjoyed playing.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me