Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Decay Rate

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:19 pm

We have always run on the standard decay rate for structures (allowing them to be destroyed by other players) and Dinos (allowing them to be claimed by other players). These settings are there to prevent the server from becoming overrun with abandoned buildings.

We've had some problems recently with players being away and coming back to find their bases broken into. It has been suggested we increase the decay timer. We also have the option to disable decay completely I think (however doing this will require an admin to cleanup any old structures).

I'm looking for opinions on how long we should increase the decay? Right now it is 12 days for stone structures. How long should we make it? Please let me know what y'all think.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Decay Rate

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:43 am

Im not a player, but with talking to Bort, and looking at reset length of time for the minecraft server of roughly 6 months-1 year, increasing it significantly doesn't seem out of order. At a 4x time multiplier that would put wood bases to just over a month, stone to 2 months and steel to 3 months. With people going away for months at a time, to my head logic this would seem an appropriate bare minimum if you are someone who say deals with seasonal work as a job. Not having played the game and not knowing how important decay mechanics are for keeping things "tidy" I can't say too much more, but if we are having issues because it is too short, Id rather err on the long and have a trusted admin deal with abandoned cleanup requests, then have to try to deal with cleaning up a bad egg making a mess of people's hard earned goodies. My uninformed $0.02
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Good thoughts ADP.

For now we are set on "5x" but happy to adjust pending further discussion:
https://prnt.sc/1yai0m5

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Since my game is broken, I would like to up vote taters options. If that is practical.

Bort
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bort » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:14 pm

New rates look good to me. It seems to me the only danger of extended the rate TOO far is just having a surplus of new-player huts crowding the beaches. But that's not too much of an issue, these would likely be thatch and have the shortest decay timer, and there aren't any precious resources that would be blocked on those beaches. I think this will work well as you have changed it now.