Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Feed the Beast - Next iteration?

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Howdy gang! With so many folks reaching max tech, and a Chaos Guardian down, activity on the server feels like it's slowing. How would people feel about launching a new map with the latest update of the FTB pack installed?

Inner suggested a new map generation / biome type that would be fun to try out - Lost Cities. It's built in to the mod pack already (check it out in Single Player for a sense of it!), and is really cool - basically the world is a giant city, with structures, roads, gardens, dungeons, towers, etc - a lot like a massive 7DtD city. There's a ton of loot and materials to grab, but it's also wild and dangerous as well because many of the buildings have dark floors that act like mob spawners, or actually have dungeon spawners filling them to protect the loot chests.

Anyway, sound off with your thoughts if you've got 'em!
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Feed the Beast - Next iteration?

Post by Guardian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 am

That sounds cool to me.

I was kinda busy when I joined the more recent iteration and that sounds like a good way to mix things up.

EDIT:

So I just want to point out if you click CUSTOMIZE underneath Lost Cities generation, you get some really cool additional options with that mod.

I recommend if we going to use that generation that we use the "RARE CITIES" configuration instead of the normal one. This makes it so cities are the minority and most of the world is regular generated world.

Despite the name, cities actually aren't that hard to find and seem to be connected by "highways" meaning you can hunt one down if you find a road. This would let people take advantage of cities but people who want to settle in a normal Biomes O Plenty biome can do so.

There's also a ton of really crazy options in that list. You can create a world where everything is wasteland except for these biospheres, your in a bubble biome in space/the ocean and there's this biome connector connecting multiple biomes. They're worth a look if you really want a change of pace and want to create a more "challenging" overworld.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:22 am

I'd certainly be down to try something new with FTB

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Guardian wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 am
So I just want to point out if you click CUSTOMIZE underneath Lost Cities generation, you get some really cool additional options with that mod.

I recommend if we going to use that generation that we use the "RARE CITIES" configuration instead of the normal one. This makes it so cities are the minority and most of the world is regular generated world.
I second this suggestion. I like the idea of cities connected by roads rather than the entire world being dominated by one big city.

I also do think that we should wait a while before doing the reset so that:
1) People have a sufficient break between maps and don't develop "minecraft fatigue"
2) Since there are many people who don't visit the website that often, they have a chance to see this post, know the reset is happening well ahead of time, and plan accordingly so we have a nice full server on reset day.

Boss was suggesting a reset around Hallowe'en when we were talking; I think that's a good time to target. Whatever date we decide, we should get an announcement up ASAP so people who only visit occasionally notice it.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:35 pm

So I messaged Boss at one point but I looked at all the CUSTOMIZE and decided to give them a quick review for anyone else on some of the ones I thought were good. On a side note, there's a Lost cities "realm" we can teleport to, currently it throws you into a default Lost cities realm but we may be able to edit that depending on how much Boss is willing to tinker.

The Safe but good:

Rare Cities: As I explained earlier this is a good "middle ground" between city generation and biomes o plenty generation since cities become rarer but they're fairly easy to find due to roads.

Default: This is the endless city with resources hidden in chests in the building. As we know it's cool with the only complaints I have being, it's kinda samey throughout the world and this is the default "realm" you can teleport to anyways.

The Cool but risky

SPACE: This has "Glass spheres" which are connected by bridges floating in a void. The spheres are big enough to have entire cave networks in them and spawn deep enough that each of them have a good amount of diamond and other low generatoring resouces. IMO this is good if you want to play on a "floating" world but actually want to mine decently well. Has a lot of empty space though.

Biosphere: Has "Glass spheres" similar to space. However the outside is a wasteland with destroyed cities instead. You can actually customize the biomes outside aside from just wasteland. I made a "Nuclear winter" wasteland, a "Mad Max" Wasteland and a few other cool ones. I also enabled generation of the bridges from SPACE. This is my personal favorite pick for a server if anyone else thinks it would be cool.

Ancient: Basically Default but the cities are overrun by jungle. It's cool but suffers from the same "samey" problems as default generation. Could make a good "mirror" realm.

The others are ok but either are weak spin-offs of other ideas or might cause performance issues. For example "Water Bubbles" is very similiar to Space only your surrounded by water instead of empty space. The problem? Break any hole in the glass and water leaks in, if any huge holes form, it'll probably tank the server.

I'm a bit disappointed by Cavern. This was world generation type you could use in Mystcraft, only Mystcraft did it better by not having any Bedrock at the top of the world. This meant you could have a safe Flat world at the top and a elaborate underground underneath.

I really want to try a customized Biosphere but I understand if people are more up to Rare Cities or Default more. (maybe we can make it the mirror Lost Cities dimension).

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am

Honestly, I really like Biospheres as well. I don't think I'd add the bridges portion, since I A) like to let us build the network ourselves as part of our projects and customization, and B) feel like we need to keep the challenge where we can. Biosphere with the wasteland and ruined cities blends with the jungle biospheres and city generations therein to create a genuinely interesting world. Space is too limiting in my mind, since there just isn't a lot of build space, everybody is forced in to and through the same areas, and it's a miserable way to die if you fall out of the world and lose everything.

The biggest limitation is going to be copper, since the wasteland is relatively low level, and for the most part copper is only going to be readily found in the biosphere areas themselves, but I think we can manage that! I'd encourage everybody to check out "Biospheres" in Singleplayer, by using the Lost Cities (BoP) world generation model, and setting Biospheres in the Customize option. If there are no objections when the time comes, that'll likely be the way we try out the next one.
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:46 am

One more thing about Biospheres. I decided to tweak the Biomes outsides in that config file.

If you wanna tweak it you can go to: C:\Users\Yourname\Twitch\Minecraft\Instances\FTB Revelation\config\lostcities and edit profile_bio_wasteland.cfg.

This is the biome list I thought worked the best.

Code: Select all

lostcity_bio_wasteland {
    # List of biomes that are allowed in the world. Empty list is default all biomes. The factor controls how much that biome is favored over the others (higher means less favored!) [default: [stone_beach=1], [dead_forest=1], [outback=1], [volcanic_island=1], [wasteland=.3]]
    S:allowedBiomeFactors <
        stone_beach=1
        dead_forest=1
        outback=0.6
        volcanic_island=1
        wasteland=0.3
	snowy_tundra=0.7
	ice_Spikes=1
	desert=1
	badlands=1
	eroded_badlands=1
     >

This means while it's still mostly wasteland, there's large deserts and snow tundras to break up the endless same wasteland terrain. I think this expands the list of potential biomes without betraying the theme too much.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 pm

While having the cities on the map seems cool, I don't see myself wanting to try to build in the middle of one. It sounds like basically any of these options except for "Rare Cities" is going to force it on me, which I don't think I'll enjoy.

My vote is "Rare Cities".

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 pm

B&B in Biospheres there are some pretty large stretches of open land outside of the city "Biospheres" if you want to set up there.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Guardian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 pm
B&B in Biospheres there are some pretty large stretches of open land outside of the city "Biospheres" if you want to set up there.
Ya, I don't really like the idea of building in wasteland.

That said, I tried it on single player and noticed that many of the biospheres don't have cities in them; the ones I saw were just straight Jungle. So I wouldn't have a problem building in an empty biosphere; I just don't want to have to build in the middle of a city..

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Yeah - should be pretty good options available there!
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I definitely think though that we should expand the number of biomes outside and maybe inside the biomes if we can though. Keeping close to the "wasteland outside" "dense plantland inside" theme it has going.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 pm

So what's the plan now for the reset?

I'm guessing we're resetting around Halloween.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

The aim is to do it around Halloween, yup! I've got a couple things going on today that will affect my schedule in the coming week or two, and once I've got that pinned down, I'll set up a date for this :-D
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:50 am

We decide what generation type we're going with? I did like the idea of Biosphere with extra biomes added outside.