Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

TeamSpeak Server retiring on December 21

Post by Dog » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

The TeamSpeak server will be going away on the 21 December.
Instead, we will be moving over to the sleeker and much easier to use Discord.

If you help switching over, contact me on Discord :D

...wait a minute...that won't work. :mrgreen:

Um, er, well PM me!

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TeamSpeak Server retiring on December 21

Post by John Doe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Lol! Ok, I will get my sorry self over and running on discord.

Thanks

JD

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 am

RIP, it was a long run though.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 am

D'oh - loved TS and never had any issues with it. Guess the times are changing!

Never even heard of Discord until it was mentioned here as a replacement a couple weeks ago. I'll check it out.
-Boss Llama

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Boss Llama wrote:D'oh - loved TS and never had any issues with it. Guess the times are changing!

Never even heard of Discord until it was mentioned here as a replacement a couple weeks ago. I'll check it out.
Ditto.

Installed Discord, did not uninstall TS as it is still in common use elsewhere. Discord's Privacy Policy: https://discordapp.com/privacy

For business majors out there, Discord is an interesting case study. Current profitability: $0. Get 20+ million USD from venture capitalists and attempt to takeover real-time social communications. Make money later: "In the future there will be optional cosmetics like themes, sticker packs, and sound packs available for purchase." (Wink, wink.) Um, they'll make money but themes and stickers won't be the major income stream. The discerning reader can see the future in the privacy policy and Jason's sale of his previous company OpenFeint. In essence (says the curmudgeon) it's a data collection and bundling operation, only to be sold as a whole company. But it's okay, it works on a phone. :)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:22 am

Inner wrote: Installed Discord, did not uninstall TS as it is still in common use elsewhere. Discord's Privacy Policy: https://discordapp.com/privacy
Oooh.... that privacy policy is pretty much a non-privacy policy. Especially:
"Our Services currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operate as described in this Privacy Policy whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance"
In other words, since there isn't a law saying they have to respect user preference, they won't.

Also, links directly to Facebook and Twitter, with automatic collection of not only your info but that of your contacts, if you use them together? I avoid both FB and Twitter anyway, but sheesh. As you said Inner, they're farming. Looks like I won't be giving up TS any time soon, which has the opposite approach: TS privacy statement (Love those German laws!).
-Boss Llama

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Boss Llama wrote:
Inner wrote: Installed Discord, did not uninstall TS as it is still in common use elsewhere. Discord's Privacy Policy: https://discordapp.com/privacy
Oooh.... that privacy policy is pretty much a non-privacy policy. Especially:
"Our Services currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operate as described in this Privacy Policy whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance"
In other words, since there isn't a law saying they have to respect user preference, they won't.

Also, links directly to Facebook and Twitter, with automatic collection of not only your info but that of your contacts, if you use them together? I avoid both FB and Twitter anyway, but sheesh. As you said Inner, they're farming. Looks like I won't be giving up TS any time soon, which has the opposite approach: TS privacy statement (Love those German laws!).
The days of data collection are at hand! Behold Cortana! Your one step solution to making your OS experience great for you and Microsoft! :P Anywho... I really like discord. I just don't connect anything but steam. That's about it!

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:01 am

sad to hear it go, but understandable if we were having to pay to maintain....personally I have had nothing but trouble with discord so this is sad news to hear indeed (pardon the pun).
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Seventhorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Seventhorn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Not a big fan of discord in fact I uninstalled it. Inner thank you for the info in plain sight. We should all do a better job at avoiding just clicking yes to everything.