Overwatch (beta)

Join the conversation about the popular FPS from Blizzard!
The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Overwatch (beta)

Post by The Domer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:06 pm

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift wrote:Hey gang, long time no see/chat :)

I wanted to add to this that I was at PAX and asked a lot of questions. Currently they do have the capability for people to run their own servers (that's the "custom game" option). They were not really saying if you could or couldn't at release because they were still trying to figure that out on how they wanted to proceed.

What I'm saying is that it may very well be that we have the capability of running our own server and if that's the case I fully expect theville to have one so I can play with you guys again :)

I'm SWISSCHEEZE on battle.net if you want to play today.
If we have the ability to admin a server, we'll definitely be running one. This is the closest we've had to a community-wide hyped game in a looooong time.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Your kinda running into the L4D problem with this game though.

Matches really only start and work when your playing 6v6 and from then on your capped out at those players. In Tf2 you can start with a 6v6 match and have a decent match going and eventually evolve to a full 12v12 game and never break the pace of combat. Overwatch is different, it's designed to be played with 6 players on each team from the start to the end of each match and those matches are supposed to be quick.

Running a community server isn't just a problem of just having a community server browser, the game's design kinda prohibits community servers even Blizzard was nice enough to add the functionality.

That being said Custom games still run fine and you can easily create fun 6v6 matches with friends and it's really fun to queue with 1-5 friends.

I heard Blizzard is creating some sort of "Guild" system so you can kinda create a community from there so you can find people to queue with.

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 pm

I only just started looking into this game, and what I've heard about it sounds really great. Too bad I missed the beta. I would love it if this ends up being the new go to game for theville. I've missed you guys.
2013 Ville Cup- GOD (Group of Drunks) 2nd Place
2014 Ville Cup- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent 3rd place

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Tue May 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Guardian wrote:Your kinda running into the L4D problem with this game though.

Matches really only start and work when your playing 6v6 and from then on your capped out at those players. In Tf2 you can start with a 6v6 match and have a decent match going and eventually evolve to a full 12v12 game and never break the pace of combat. Overwatch is different, it's designed to be played with 6 players on each team from the start to the end of each match and those matches are supposed to be quick.

Running a community server isn't just a problem of just having a community server browser, the game's design kinda prohibits community servers even Blizzard was nice enough to add the functionality.

That being said Custom games still run fine and you can easily create fun 6v6 matches with friends and it's really fun to queue with 1-5 friends.

I heard Blizzard is creating some sort of "Guild" system so you can kinda create a community from there so you can find people to queue with.
I agree I don't think overwatch is gonna be the game to do what tf2 did for theville
Thanks Sparky

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Perfect Villain wrote:

I agree I don't think overwatch is gonna be the game to do what tf2 did for theville
Yes, that is a good point. However, I'll take Overwatch being the next L4D. Might be even better since Overwatch matches go by way quicker.

Plus with how popular Overwatch is going to be (at the start at least), we can potentially meet some really nice, cool players and invite them to the ville.

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 am

dammets89 wrote:
Perfect Villain wrote:

Yes, that is a good point. However, I'll take Overwatch being the next L4D. Might be even better since Overwatch matches go by way quicker.

Plus with how popular Overwatch is going to be (at the start at least), we can potentially meet some really nice, cool players and invite them to the ville.
I'm really hoping dirty bomb ends up allowing what we need to run a server for it, it seems very similar to TF2 with alot more diversity and enjoyment...
Thanks Sparky

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed May 18, 2016 8:21 am

dammets89 wrote:Yes, that is a good point. However, I'll take Overwatch being the next L4D. Might be even better since Overwatch matches go by way quicker.
I think that's a very good assessment. Will be hard to attract large numbers of new players because nobody will just accidentally stumble on a Ville server, but could still stir up interest among existing Villuns, including some who may be been away for a while, to get together and play games with fellow Villuns.
:)

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Is there anyone else I need to add? Game starts on Monday

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:24 pm

My battle.net account is dammets.

I think. This is the first time I'm using battle.net for anything serious.

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Sat May 21, 2016 2:04 am

dammets89 wrote:My battle.net account is dammets.

I think. This is the first time I'm using battle.net for anything serious.
I think we will need the number bit after your name also. Should look something like dammets#1234. :dance:

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:23 am

My battle.net account is:

dammets#1361

:dance:

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:20 am

I haven't had a sense of hype like this since TF2 released. Even if you don't like the gameplay, it's hard to deny that blizzard doesn't have a level of quality to it. There's a polished game, amazing cartoons to go with it, flushed backstory including comics.

I will be playing overwatch quite a bit, they do a lot of small things to keep the game enjoyable for everyone, including the losing team. One thing that stands out to be is matches usually only last 5-10 minutes. I think they said 7 was average in beta. This gives you less reason for people to leave when up against a tough team because it'll be over soon anyways.

dammets89
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dammets89 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 am

How soon until someone makes a Warpath custom map with matches that last one hour?

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm

dammets89 wrote:How soon until someone makes a Warpath custom map with matches that last one hour?
Soon, I hope. We also need a mod for 12v12 to go with it.
8)

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 am

Typical Ville, we get a brand new game and all you can think of is how to play Warpath on it :P :P