If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: 2015 Advent Calendar

Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, this beer wasnt my favorite, it had a very strong citrus aftertaste, more than I would prefer.

Again this is the 7ths beer on the 8th, I hope to get in sync again over the weekend.

December 8ths beer is A Russian Imperial Stout called Boris the Spider......Funny, I keep thinking of a song by the Who with a similar name.....

JD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:46 am

Varys, is that you? :-D
-Boss Llama

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:24 am

I've never been fond of citrus flavored anything.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:45 pm

OK December the 9th finds me enjoying December the 8ths beer, I hope to get back in sync on the weekend.

Boris the Spider Russian Imperial Stout was an interesting beer. It was dark, very dark, darkest beer I think I have ever seen. Not heavily carbonated, slightly bitter tasting to me and flavors of dark chocolate while drinking it. Not a bad beer, I would be interested in trying it again.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Todays beer is called the spice of life from the Iron Fist brewing company in Vista California.

http://ironfistbrewing.com/beer/year-ro ... pice-life/

Apparently it has other spices in it like coriander and orange peel.....we shall see if it tastes like a beer or a badly made fruit cake.

JD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Boris the Spider definitely looks like a beer I would try. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I've been working on my appreciation for stouts, and like them with some foods.

Coriander? Hmm. I feel a bit sketch about that one!
-Boss Llama

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Yep, it wasnt my favorite by far but the citris taste wasnt as bad as I feared and I dont know where the Coriander flavor was that they spoke of.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:42 pm

Sorry gang, I have been behind again on posting but I am caught up on the beers now. Tomorrow the 14th and I will actually drink the beer for the 14th :)

December 10ths Beer was called Sleigh Booster from Bridge Brewing Company in North Vancouver, BC. Its an Imperial Red Ale at 9% Alcohol level.

This was a decent beer, a little bitter, some notes of chocolate and a bit of a bite after swallowing. Not the best one I have tasted but not the worst.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:45 pm

December 12ths Beer was from the Grizzly Paw Brewing Company in Canmore Alberta. It was called Ursa Major Brown Ale.

This beer had notes of chocolate to me, perhaps a little coffee there and a hint of citrus. It was fairly dark in color, and was a easy beer to drink.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:51 pm

December 13ths Beer is from the Flying Monkey Craft Brewery in Barrie, Ontario and the beer was called Saint Beatnicks Chocolate Stout.

This beer did not work for me at all, it was obviously a chocolate stout, its aroma was that of a chocolate liqueur and it tasted just like one if you ask me. I couldnt even finish the beer after a few sips, it was really not to my taste at all.

I guess I dont have an open mind but to me a beer should taste like, well, beer first, wouldnt you say?

JD

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:56 pm

And this brings us to December 13ths beer which I still have a little of beside me.

Made by the Evil Twin Brewing Company in Brooklyn, New York its called The Cowboy and its a smoked Pilsner.

This beer did have a light smoke aftertaste to me, also it was fairly bitter. The beer wasnt filtered and leaves some sludge (sediment) at the bottom of the glass that I cant say I like. It was ok to me but I would likely try something else if offered it again.

Thats it, tomorrow will be Ender Dragon Slaying Ale I hope :)

JD

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Awww man. I was just reminded of the Winter Ale from Granville Island Brewery in Vancouver, BC. I got to try it last year when a friend brought some back. It instantly became my new favorite beer.

Also, another friend of mine has one of these with whiskey in it.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:12 am

Todays brew is a Blueberry Maple Ale......I forgot to put it into the fridge in the morning so it wasnt chilled to try tonight. Given my experience with the Chocolate stout I am very scared of this beer, it sounds like I should pour it over a stack of pancakes.

JD

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:30 am

They're definitely throwing all kinds of interesting beers in there, but it looks like they really focused on the experimental holiday beers! That's better (in my mind) that the usual heap of IPAs, but I can certainly understand not being thrilled by it - there are some terrible ones out there, and I've definitely dumped one or two out. Thanks for continuing with the tasting notes! It's interesting to get comments on such an assorted bunch.
-Boss Llama

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:56 pm

John Doe wrote: Given my experience with the Chocolate stout I am very scared of this beer, it sounds like I should pour it over a stack of pancakes.

JD
I should try that. It sounds really good.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson