Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Super Smash Bros.: Wii U / 3DS

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 am

So here's my first day thoughts.

First couple things I noticed. Tripping is no longer a thing (thank god) but neither is gliding. As a result, Meta Knight's recovery is reduced considerably (though it's still good thanks to multiple jumps and his specials), with Charizard's being cut considerably more.

The Miis are kind of a disappointment, but they're still cool. Brawler handles like Mario/Captain Falcon, Swordsman plays like Link, while Gunner is clearly Samus. Many of their selectable moves are just copies of the main character's moves, which gives them a bit of a mix-and-match feel. For example Brawler's standard special gives you a choice between a Shotput throw, which is similar to Mario's Fireball, a charge-up punch like Donkey Kong, and an Explosive Kick which is just a Falcon Punch with your foot. Despite the fact that nearly all of their specials are copied moves, the ability to make your own character is there and it's still a cool feature. My personal Mii is a Brawler and I'm doing pretty well with him. Miis can't be used in online play "with anyone", likely for the fact that they're just mish-mashes of everyone else. They can be used in "with friends" modes.

Pertaining to stages, I find myself playing Omega layouts more often than the standard layouts because many stages are annoying to deal with. Some particularly bad stages layout wise are the Paper Mario stage, especially the Bowser's Castle layout, and the Nintendogs stage with those damn falling blocks. I was also severely disappointed with the Wily Castle stage, only because the Yellow Devil spawns too frequently and generally takes up the entire stage when he's in play. Unlike the demo, playing in the Omega layout won't disable items unless you disable items in Item Switch. Some Omega stages have space beneath the main platform, such as Rainbow Road and Corneria; in these stages the Hothead and Bombchu items become much more dangerous as missing doesn't get rid of them.

Music is awesome as always. The Sparkman Stage theme is an instant favorite. N's Castle a great composition as well as the Rainbow Road Melody (bonus points for including Super Circuit's Rainbow Road theme). There are a couple stages where more than two tracks can play, contrary to previous statements from the development team; Wily's Castle has played at least three different themes for me.

Online play. God damnit Nintendo you had eight years to fix this. It's just as laggy and choppy as ever and there's noticable input delay unreleated to the lag. I honestly hope the lag I was experiencing was people connecting through toasters or from some place on the other side of the planet. Other than that, it's still no different except for a 2v2 mode. I haven't tried the Glory mode yet, but it's no-items-final-destination so you can figure how that goes, though it does have options for 1v1 and 2v2 matches in addition to the free-for-all.

Classic's fun. The difficulty slider is exactly the same as Kid Icarus' Fiend's Cauldron, even the difficulty names. Classic gives you the option of choosing a path for each stage. They're color-coded based on their difficulty; blue is easy, green is normal, red is harder. The harder routes will give you more coins and bonuses after the match, so if you want to clean house you need to play the red stages. Before each stage a slot wheel spins and you stop it. What it stops on will be what you get when you win the match, be it trophies, customizations, or more coins. If you game over you lose some of the loot you've won already and you don't get to keep anything until you beat the Master Hand at the end.

Multi-Man Melee is mostly unchanged, though the polygons are now random Mii Fighters generated from the Miis you have saved in your system. Items also no longer spawn in play, instead they are delivered via platform above the stage. Which means no more accidentally screwing yourself by a bad Smart Bomb spawn. 15-minute mode is gone, in it's place is a Rival mode where a CPU controlled player playing as the same character as you is competing for kills. The game goes until you fall and your final score is the number you killed minus the number your rival killed. Cruel Melee is also back, play at your own risk. Home-Run Contest is unchanged, though long launches are now sped up. Target Smash is comparable to Angry Birds, launch the bomb and see how much carnage you can do with it.

Smash Run is pretty cool. It's not quite adventure mode, but it's still fun to beat up monsters from across the Nintendo-verse (with some Dig Dug, Metools, and Egg Robos for good measure). You kill the monsters and collect their powerups, making you stronger. At the end of five minutes, everyone involved plays a final match which can range from a free-for-all, a race, a Multi-Man-Melee battle, or just killing more monsters. There are also other prizes to earn through Smash Run; trophies, customization, and extra powers for Smash Run. Powers for Smash Run give you options to provide an edge, such as a free heal, on-demand strength upgrades, or items to use whenever. Each item has a weight and the amount of items you can carry is determined by each character's weight class; the heavier and slower a character is the more they can bring.

Overall, there's a lot to do and keep entertained. It's a great addition to the series and it's already shaping up to be better than Brawl (minus Subspace Emissary), but I don't think it will quite hold a candle to Melee, nothing ever will.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:51 am

Online play. God damnit Nintendo you had eight years to fix this. It's just as laggy and choppy as ever and there's noticable input delay unreleated to the lag. I honestly hope the lag I was experiencing was people connecting through toasters or from some place on the other side of the planet. Other than that, it's still no different except for a 2v2 mode. I haven't tried the Glory mode yet, but it's no-items-final-destination so you can figure how that goes, though it does have options for 1v1 and 2v2 matches in addition to the free-for-all.
I find the lag to not be that bad (in glory mode anyway).

Also would like to point out on the amount of items that could just herpaderp everyone.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:Online play. God damnit Nintendo you had eight years to fix this.
Dude, expecting Nintendo to ever understand the Internet is an exercise in frustration. They're the lovable but not-at-all-tech-savvy grandparent of the game industry (in more ways than one, if you think about it). :P

My thoughts so far:

- Branching paths in Classic mode was a good call. I think they've finally struck a good balance with it.

- Smash Run is stupidly brutal difficulty-wise. Half the time I just spawn, get hit for 120+ damage, and get KO'd. Adjustable difficulty would have been great here - I want to enjoy it, but as someone who hasn't played Smash since Melee was still new-ish I'm not ready to jump in against swarms of high-level AI opponents on day one.

- I never played Brawl (saw it played a few times though), mostly because everything I heard/saw about it turned me away, especially the music. There were a bajillion tracks in that game, out of which maybe a dozen were actually suited to a fighting game. It broke the atmosphere of the game WAY too much to have light, calm music playing while the characters beat the tar out of each other. I'm extremely glad that the new one doesn't have the same issue: the remixes actually suit the game itself instead of being whatever crap they could get a hold of. Even the Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life tunes are remixed to be well-suited for fighting, and I love it.

- The new stages are all a lot of fun. I especially like the little flavor features like the coins in NSMB2's Golden Plains, the pac-dots in the Pac-Maze, the Miis in the background pulled from your Mii Maker in Tomodachi Life, and the minigames in the WarioWare stage. They not only make the battles more varied and interesting, but make it feel like I'm actually battling in the world of the game the stage comes from.

- The final smashes are excellent. Pac-Man's made me laugh out loud when I first saw it. I don't think they could have made it any more perfect.

- The characters and controls are a mixed bag for me. On the good side, many of the characters control like their counterparts in their native game (I love that the control combo for Sonic's spin dash under the default control scheme is the same as in the original Sonic games), which makes it feel much more like these are the genuine characters themselves and not just fighters dressed up as them. On the not-so-good side, the controls feel extremely imprecise and slippery. The Home-Run Contest is nearly impossible for me because I can't line myself up with the sandbag. If I'm standing just out of range to hit it on the left side and tap the circle pad to the right, I'm suddenly on the opposite side of the bag. In battles, I'll frequently end up doing an attack I didn't want to, such as an Up-B when pressing Side-B, because there's a weird overlap for what the circle pad considers up vs. sideways. I also find myself sprinting when I don't want to and not sprinting when I do want to. Smash attacks are also inconsistent timing-wise, resulting in a lot of standard-A attacks followed by running to the side when I wanted to stand in place and execute a smash.

- I really want to play as Wario, but I can't figure out how to dismount the motorcycle, so I usually end up accidentally driving off the edge of the map when I don't turn around fast enough.

Overall I like it. I hope it gets better as I get more used to the controls though, because I want to like Smash Run, but having your butt handed to you right out of the gate isn't fun.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Will T. wrote:Overall I like it. I hope it gets better as I get more used to the controls though, because I want to like Smash Run, but having your butt handed to you right out of the gate isn't fun.
You can customize the controls in the options if you don't like the default layout. And you should consider equipping powers for Smash Run as they'll give you early game advantages. Fighter customization is a must for Smash Run. Also low-mobility, high-power characters can absolutely wreck some of the stronger enemies. Finding them is another story though...

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

v3xin87
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v3xin87 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Were you guys playing online with friends or random people? My friends live pretty close so I'm wondering if it'll be more lag free. On that note, how's the local connection (where everyone is in the same room)?

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:You can customize the controls in the options if you don't like the default layout. And you should consider equipping powers for Smash Run as they'll give you early game advantages. Fighter customization is a must for Smash Run. Also low-mobility, high-power characters can absolutely wreck some of the stronger enemies. Finding them is another story though...
It's not the button bindings that bother me - I actually tried re-binding things early on, but I found that the defaults suit my play style better than anything I could come up with. It's the fact that precise movement for things like the Home-Run Contest is basically impossible due to how twitch-sensitive the circle pad is, and that the game can't seem to figure out if I pressed the circle pad up or left/right half the time, ending up with it executing a side-B move when I wanted up-B and vice versa. The timing for smash attacks is also ridiculously precise, resulting in me using the wrong move a lot.

I'll have to give character customization a go for Smash Run.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm

v3xin87 wrote:Were you guys playing online with friends or random people? My friends live pretty close so I'm wondering if it'll be more lag free. On that note, how's the local connection (where everyone is in the same room)?
I was doing with random people online as I don't seem to have enough friends with the game somehow. That's why I was saying I hope it was just someone's toaster of a router or people from Japan or Europe causing the lag.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Somebody modded their 3DS to support a Gamecube Controller.
This is apparently the same guy who built devices to automatically detect Shiny Pokemon and recognize TwitchTV chat inupt.

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:15 am

Will T. wrote:- I really want to play as Wario, but I can't figure out how to dismount the motorcycle, so I usually end up accidentally driving off the edge of the map when I don't turn around fast enough.
Wario was like that in Brawl, too. You're not the only one who has issues with him.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:27 am

Official site officially says the Wii U version's release date is...

November 21, 2014.

The Smash Bros. amiibos, GameCube Controller Adapter, and Smash Bros. GameCube Controllers will be released on that day as well.

I will again note that this is the same day as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's release.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 am

If only these were a day earlier, then it would be on my birthday. That would make it the greatest day of the year for me.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:30 pm

In addition, if you haven't already preordered the game, there's going to be a bundle available for $100 that includes the game, the Wii U Gamecube adapter, and the new Gamecube controller design.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail ... gFNc58o2K8

Personally, I think i'll just use the Classic Pro controller.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 pm

"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:28 am

From the official website, new secret character "reveals", though find me someone who hasn't already unlocked everyone. I did it in a day. 120 Vs matches and you should have everybody.
VIEW CONTENT:
Dark Pit
Dr. Mario

I can't get over how pissed off Dr. Mario looks in his portrait.

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:22 am

Diddy Kong has only 1 banana, but you can change it to paralyze foes. How long does the guy stay stunned?