Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Should I?

Post by Knowing » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 am

Hey! Well, I've been play TF2 for quite some time, and I was thinking about maybe join a UGC team next season.

Does anyone have any experience with UGC? Because, I don't really know much about UGC seasons. (I would be joining a team and removing my clan tag for the time of that season.)
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

rm5248
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Re: Should I?

Post by rm5248 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:29 am

I did UGC a year or two ago now(Highlander). It was pretty fun, but the skill level of the people that you're playing with and against is higher than normal(depending on which league you're in).

If you can get together with people that you know, that's the best.

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

I've never had the chance to do it but sounds like fun if your doing it with people you enjoy playing with
Thanks Sparky

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:32 am

Lots of villuns are in or have been on UGC teams in both HL and 6s. A lot more HL than 6s, of course. If it's something you want to do, it's always best to start with friends because it's a big adjustment and there's a lot to learn in either game type that typical sever play doesn't remotely prepare you to do.

Recruiting actively here is not allowed, but it's not particularly hard to find players who are on teams or have been on teams before that could help you if you're interested.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 am

If you're competitive, go for it. If not, at least check it out. You're prone to get better after playing through it despite getting massacred the first few scrims.

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah, might as well give it a try!
Thanks Sparky!

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:43 pm

You can always hit me up and i will get to started on the right path. I've done a bit of everything, and things can be confusing at first.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Knowing » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I'll go for it! Also I wouldn't recruit here, but I guess I'll have to play with people I don't really know since I don't have friends who are A good enough or B is willing to play.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:49 pm

M.N.I.F.T.K wrote:Thanks for all the advice! I'll go for it! Also I wouldn't recruit here, but I guess I'll have to play with people I don't really know since I don't have friends who are A good enough or B is willing to play.
After playing with them for a while, you can get used to them :3

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Do, it. I did HL twice, once I mained and the other I subbed. There are a lot of ville regs who have and currently are doing it. My first time I think I knew like 6 out of the 9 players and for the most part, it was a enjoyable experience. The second time I was a sub for a different team, and the main thing I learned was it really depends on the other people you are playing with and how serious they are. There was a lot of flaking, no-shows, constant team changes, captain quit before season ended. So i would suggest, if you can, try to get in on a team that has at least a few friends that you know are serious about it. Also for your first season, no matter how good you are, I would compete at the Iron or Steel level, so you can get the hang of it and maybe build some relationships. {Iron, Steel, Silver, Gold, Platinum} is how HL is ranked.

Good Luck!

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Hmm, I thought about comp but then I was like "I can't commit because I have other life issues that I must address like school" :(. To this day, I still have not joined a UGC team. I REALLY WANT TO, but I don't think I can afford to make It to every scrim, or be as active as others would want me to be. Anyone got any advice on what teams expect from players like commitment, availability, and of course skill? :/

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 pm

You could always join as a sub.

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah tons of teams on the UGC forums are always looking for players to add as substitutes. Most teams will advertise their scrim times and how often they want to play each week so you can browse through and find one that fits your schedule. If you can show up most of the time as a sub you're going to get a chance to play and you will definitely learn a lot about what's going on.

The current season is just about over, in a few weeks playoffs will be done and then it will be a great time to look around. A lot of people put big expectations on themselves going into organized TF2 and its not easy learning how to effectively communicate and play off each other but if you tackle the learning curve the payoff is huge. A game where your team is having fun and everyone is playing from the same page is super awesome and rewarding.

CknSalad
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by CknSalad » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 pm

I've played through various leagues: UGC, TWL (rip), Cevo, ESEA. Although UGC gets some flak from the higher level comp players, it's definitely the league to start if you're just starting comp TF2. As others have said, if you want to just want to have fun with eight other people, highlander is probably for you. If you want the best of both worlds and truly get better at the game: dm ing and teamwork, then go with 6s as I feel that has a higher skill cap individual skill wise (nothing against highlander as a competitive format).

There's plenty of VODs and tutorials and how to play the classes as well as actual pro matches. Just check out vanillatv, extv, mygamingedge videos on youtube. If you are interested in 6s, there's plenty of tutorials on how to the the jumps as demoman or soldier: banny (demo), boomer (demo), platinum (soldier), fragga (soldier - has really good soldier tutorials).

If you really really want to get good faster, you will just have to scrim a lot, watch your POVs, look at the VODs and TF2 streams, as well as ask for a mentor. As for dm ing, MGE and dm servers are good for warmup, where MGE is moreso learning enemy movement patterns and straight up 1v1 ing ability and dm servers learning to frag and hit consistent shots under chaotic Mids. Don't take MGE and dm servers as the only primary means of getting good. I've seen many good dm ing players, but they get stuck in ESEA-O or low-mid IM level because their gamesense is not up to snuff because all they do is dm. Hope this helps!

kkpyro
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by kkpyro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:40 pm

InBOUND HD wrote:Hmm, I thought about comp but then I was like "I can't commit because I have other life issues that I must address like school" :(. To this day, I still have not joined a UGC team. I REALLY WANT TO, but I don't think I can afford to make It to every scrim, or be as active as others would want me to be. :/
InBound has a great point.
I co-captained a team and have played as a sub, if you commit to a team...do that, commit to it. Your team relies on you to be available for your matches. It takes time to get to know your teammates and there will be practices most likely.
Subbing is the way to go if you want to casually play competitively.

It's a lot of fun, give it a try. :)

Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire
The Ville Cup 2012- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Dustbowl loves Warpath 2013-CDi
The Ville Cup 2013- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tater Tots
The Ville Cup 2014- <gTa> Goat Theft Anonymous