Total votes: 25

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

TheVille Dustbowl Newbie PUGs

Post by cam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm

A PUG (which stands for Pick Up Group) is a group of players that get together to do a semi-organized game. Two captains are selected and each captain takes turns picking players from the remaining players.

Now before you say "This sounds like a competitive event" please read on!

TheVille has two 24/7 TF2 servers and the most active of those is the Dustbowl server. We get quite a few newbies in there and we turn a lot of those newbies into experienced players which then turn into experienced regulars. There are two big reasons we keep these players coming back: (1) we are one of the friendliest communities in TF2 and (2) team play and sportmanship are actively encouraged. We are NOT your run-of-the-mill pub where it seems like no one is pursuing the objective. People like that about us and we should be finding ways to encourage it while maintaining the atmosphere of fun and sportsmanship that everyone has come to expect.

So why have captains and not just scramble teams? Because that's what we already do in TV6 and the other servers! This event needs to stand out without being singled out. The name of the Event is TheVille Dustbowl Newbie PUGs. Captains are going to be required to interview and pick the newer players before picking anyone else. By interview, I mean captains should ask a question or two to players they don't recognize.
Captain1: "Hi soandso! Tell me: do you enjoy wearing shorts?"
Soandso: "yes, they are comfortable and easy to wear."
Captain1: "You are hired. Get the heck on my team."
This event is not about picking the best team; it is about meeting new people and making them feel welcome at TheVille.

After teams are picked, each team has 5 minutes to come up with a team name, introduce themselves to each other, and maybe plan some shenanigans all while playing the best map in TF2: cp_dustbowl.

The Style

Event frequency: Once a month.
Team sizes: 12v12 (Or less if fewer people show up)
Class restrictions: 2 perclass limit
Captain Selection: Randomly selected from the players that want to try captaining and have not captained before. Can be overridden at admin discretion.
Game mode: Tourney mode on, stopwatch mode used. Two rounds are played. During each round, each team attacks and defends once.
Expected duration: Between 50 mins and 1hr 15mins.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TheVille Dustbowl Newbie PUGs

Post by Maple Man » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Even though vespene gas is the best answer, I think that this is an interesting event/pug/potato. In the few pugs I was in, everyone was a bit picky on the guy without a mic. (which was me). By having a glance at this, it would look like something that would be too serious...not really. Stacking could also be SLIGHTLY less occuring here since I'm pretty sure this community as a whole is skilled. However, as a guy like me, I love playing random classes in random situations. Something that I'm not sure of is if everyone knows how pugs work.
Captains are going to be required to interview and pick the newer players before picking anyone else. By interview, I mean captains should ask a question or two to players they don't recognize.
1 question though, is this event aiming for the regulars of theville or newcomers of the ville? I'm pretty sure there are some regulars who are too lazy to join the forums but still play on the servers. I used to do that for a while.

Vespene gas is still the best answer though. :3
Last edited by Maple Man on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Interesting idea. Maybe it would be better to try it as a one-off event first though, before trying to schedule it for regular re-occurance.

It might be difficult to actually attract a large number of newbies. Typically, most of the people who attend events tend to already be regulars.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Maple Man wrote:Even though vespene gas is the bast answer, I think that this is an interesting event/pug/potato. In the few pugs I was in, everyone was a bit picky on the guy without a mic. (which was me). By having a glance at this, it would look like something that would be too serious...not really. Stacking could also be SLIGHTLY less occuring here since I'm pretty sure this community as a whole is skilled. However, as a guy like me, I love playing random classes in random situation. Something that I'm not sure of is if everyone knows how pugs work.
Thanks for bringing this up, Mape! Though I've named it a PUG, it is not a PUG in the traditional sense. Think of it as more a scheduled date for Dustbowl game full of regs while simultaneously featuring people that are new to the community.
Mapey wrote:
Mummy wrote:Captains are going to be required to interview and pick the newer players before picking anyone else. By interview, I mean captains should ask a question or two to players they don't recognize.
1 question though, is this event aiming for the regulars of theville or newcomers of the ville? I'm pretty sure there are some regulars who are too lazy to join the forums but still play on the servers. I used to do that for a while.

Vespene gas is still the bast answer though. :3
Hopefully if we can get this going, we can feature the nights on the server announcements and when the date gets closer we can have regulars urging new people to sign up for it.

Even if we don't get any new people who sign up, the captains can start by interviewing and picking people that they don't normally play or talk with. The object is to get people talking and to have a good time!

black_and_blue wrote:Interesting idea. Maybe it would be better to try it as a one-off event first though, before trying to schedule it for regular re-occurance.

It might be difficult to actually attract a large number of newbies. Typically, most of the people who attend events tend to already be regulars.
Good points. I wouldn't mind starting off slow so to speak. I addressed the reg problem above!

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 pm

(I moved this to events).

I have a pretty busy week ahead of me, but I can circle back to this later on towards the weekend. Keep working on this (suggestions etc.)

I think this has a lot of promise. :3

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:15 am

I agree with Mateo. Has potential, needs to be refined.

prang
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by prang » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am

I can't vote but heck yes. This sounds like a fun event and a great way to help improve the dustbowl experience for a lot of newer people.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

This would need to be on the events server as I understand it. Will the new folk that this is directed at a)know to go there and b)be able to find their way there?

We get a lot of new people on tv6 because they search for the map. How will we get these folk to find out about it? Do they need to sign up ahead of time? Are we looking for people to just show up? I've never done a PUG, so I'm unsure how this works.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Perfect Villain
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Perfect Villain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Sounds like a fun event to me.... count me in
Thanks Sparky

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:
We get a lot of new people on tv6 because they search for the map. How will we get these folk to find out about it? Do they need to sign up ahead of time? Are we looking for people to just show up? I've never done a PUG, so I'm unsure how this works.
This^ :?

Me thinks I am missing something on how a "newbie" shows up in the first place. :oops:
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

flyingdutchman
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by flyingdutchman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:57 pm

I had to look up vespene gas......am I disqualified?

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Definitly see some potential here. I wouldn't mind help running this once everything is figured out.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 pm

I like the idea of this, and if it happened at times when I regularly play (late night), I would definitely be there.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm

First, I feel like I should probably define newbies. I don't necessarily mean people who are new to tf2; I mean people who are new or newish to theville. Basically names you notice that continually pop up on the servers but aren't on the forums or that you only see occasionally on the servers. Maybe they're people who have been around for a long time but haven't been very interactive with the community in the past.

For targeting the newbies, I was hoping that's where myself and the other interested regulars could step in. To be honest, one of the biggest things I heard from TV6 regs when I was recruiting for the Cup was "will one of the maps be dustbowl?" The Dustbowl server has a pretty large following of regulars and some events that cater to those regulars would be right up their alley.

So, if the regs could word-of-mouth the event and tell people to stop by the forums to sign up then it would get people to (a) create an account if they don't have one and (b) probably cause them to look around the forums a bit as well. When we had the Ville Cup sign ups we had quite a few new people take the plunge and create an account and some of those faces have stuck around.

I feel like that if we get a couple active discussion threads going in the TF2 forum right as we announce the event then the people coming on to sign up might also throw a word or two in there as well.

By making the event a repeating event, it keeps people coming back to sign up and keeps the possibility open that they'll start interacting in the forums, too. Who knows? We may even start to get some new donors out of it, too.

I could use some more help on what you guys are looking for! I totally agree that this idea needs to be fleshed out but I can only see it from my perspective. If want to PM me or SteamIM me, feel free. Or post here?

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I like the sounds of this. I am not a big dustbowl fan but we do owe our dedicated dustbowlers something considering what we have given our loyal warpath fans in the past. I would be willing to help if needed. I do not have much input on what has already been said above, though.