Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

CNC Wood/Metal Work for Free! Details in Post :D

Post by eumoria » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey, Friends!

I want to offer you all something fun in exchange for nothing:
I work for a robotics automation company that specializes in CNC (computer numeric control) systems with an emphasis on 3-4 axis table cutting machinery.

Here's our website:
http://www.technocnc.com

We are going out of business, though, but I still work there as we go through the shutdown process :(

In any event(tl:dc): I'm an technician and engineer there and have to test all the machines that leave the building. This means that I have to cut 'something' on the machines they go out. My offer to you is - I will cut something for you! (as long as the cut time is less then 20 minutes and works within what I have a scrap material available on site)

Here's a reddit post to something I made on our 3 axis plasma cutter:
I work for a CNC milling manufacturer. Today I had to test a plasma cutting machine. I made this! (Skyrim in Steel)[fixed]

I can cut pretty much anything that size and I'll ship it to you! Because the company's going out of business and I can't say for sure what I'll be able to cut before we're done I'll go so far as to limit it to the best 2 designs by Friday, June 21st <--

Here's what you need for it:
  • Vector art smaller than 15x15 inches (less preferred, just a maximum!)
    FORMAT: Illustrator .ai file or Inkscape compatible!
Goes without saying: nothing vulgar

Let me know if you're interested :) If you're not familiar with graphic work and have a bitmap (regular image [raw/tiff/jpg/bmp) you need converted into a workable vector image, I (or I'm certain someone in this community) can help make it reality.

:dance:

I can cut wood/plastic/foam/soft material with a router or steel with the plasma cutter. 3D work can be done in wood/foam/etc. but steel with plasma is strictly 2D.

Note:
If you can design something 4 or 5 axis in MasterCAM and actually know what that means e-mail me chris[]at[]technorouters.com and we'll make something spectacular for a prize or something.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CNC Wood/Metal Work for Free! Details in Post :D

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 pm

That's impressive. Reminds me of when I was interested in such crafts (I loved wood shop in middle school) but I stopped because I became increasingly scared about safety over the years and because I hated my classmates (and they hated me back: bad blood and power tools are a BAD combination).

I should ask you to cut a pony-themed item, but I don't have a compatible image for you to work with, nor do I have a good choice.

That said, what would a 3D style cut look like? I mean I can see what you're pulling off with the steel and the Dragonborne Emblem, but what could I expect if I asked for something 3D in wood?

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 pm

if you google for "image" illustrator vector files or even "image" vector you can find stuff that has vector images:

I should explain:
There's lots of software that will convert simple vector images into usable machine code because they give X/Y locations and (kind of) "connect the dots," sort of... so it's like instructions to make the shape rather than the shape itself. This is easier to convert into tool pathing for a machine to follow and cut.

A bitmap is, for instance a JPEG, BMP or a GIF where the image isn't rendered by the computer but rather it's just pixels.

Long story short a vector image I can use right away but if you have a bitmap (regular image) I can convert it fairly easily anyway.

::Hi Res images are better::

Seriously, post whatever! Even if it comes out crappy I'll take a pic of the adapted cut and we can work on it :)

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm

I wasn't actually worried about the files themselves; I have a copy of Adobe CS5.5 Suite and can make my own Illustrator vectors and even Flash animation. I was more lamenting how I didn't have anything on hand at the moment.

I did find something to try if you want (and if you don't for whatever reason, I can get something else). While the concept of a steel emblem for it may sound cool, I don't see how it could be done without color, and I'm assuming your plasma cutter is more outline than detail. I would, however, be interested in seeing what you could make of it with the three-dimensional wood concept:
VIEW CONTENT:
The other concern I have is that the file I found wasn't originally a .ai vector file, it was a .png. While it is indeed a vector image (the show's art and animation is all done in Flash), would it still be compatible with your software (if that's how it works) despite not being a true vector file?

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:29 pm

you should make a trophy for the ville cup...and send it to the captain of the winning team. Then next year the trophy can be sent to the next winner...that would be awesome!!!!

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 pm

chaffe[seagreens] wrote:you should make a trophy for the ville cup...and send it to the captain of the winning team. Then next year the trophy can be sent to the next winner...that would be awesome!!!!
I will pay for the shipping. Do it now!
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 pm

I was actually just wondering how feasible it would be to make 16 medals that could go to the winning team...

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 am

As chaffe suggested, a nice ville logo with "ville cup champions" that can be shipped around to the winners each year for pictures and the like.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Knowing » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 am

Flash wrote:I was actually just wondering how feasible it would be to make 16 medals that could go to the winning team...
That would be nice. Then the masses can know you're one of the Ville Cup winners.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 am

chaffe[seagreens] wrote:you should make a trophy for the ville cup...and send it to the captain of the winning team. Then next year the trophy can be sent to the next winner...that would be awesome!!!!
Somebody needs to make this happen. Calling all Ville graphics folks, make the dang vector image already!

Knowing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Knowing » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 am

Could we use this as the Trophy design and then write "The Ville Cup" then maybe on the back it lists the name of everyone on the team and the Captain at top?
VIEW CONTENT:
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
- Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:42 am

Ok I like both these ideas either a trophy for the winning team or medals for all the players of the winning team!

A "trophy" isn't exactly something that these machines can easily create that would be a 4 or 5 axis job and honestly I don't have the time to create something that complex. Medals however are an awesome idea.

I can get coated aluminum stock and cut medals out of that. It would be quite a job, probably take me a day or two to cut, but it can totally be done!

So who wants to help create a Ville 2013 Cup medal?

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am

I could also make one big medallion or something if you all like the idea of passing it along to the winning team from year to year.

Full 3d objects that have undercutting require reorientation by additional axis so think of this like 2 and a half D. I can cut relief and any shape imaginable but all from a top-down perspective. All the machines we are building nowadays are 3-axis machines so left/right, back/forth up/down

Here's a 3-axis machine (I can do this):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuicmZL5h18
That's a positive blank being made on 3-axis. This gives you a better idea of the physical limitation

Here's a 5 axis machine on a dual rotary system (I cannot do this, but it's still freaking sweet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

As you can see 3-axis will be limited to top-down perspective and why something like medals would be much more feasible with the equipment I'll have the opportunity to work with.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 pm

eumoria wrote:I could also make one big medallion or something if you all like the idea of passing it along to the winning team from year to year.
This is the best Idea; that way teams in future VC matches won't feel jaded.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

<eVa>mlite wrote:
eumoria wrote:I could also make one big medallion or something if you all like the idea of passing it along to the winning team from year to year.
This is the best Idea; that way teams in future VC matches won't feel jaded.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent