Forum rules
Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Re: Left4DoD

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I really enjoy the update. It seems to be smoother. However I have some minor nit picks that I would like voice here.

First and foremost I hate the mechanics behind the Hellspawn in terms of its hit box. I am not sure what is but that SOB can take several clips from Garand and not die. I usually have to retreat and break out the C-96 to kill him. I think the model doesn't reflect accurately where his head is. I say this because I am shooting where I think his head and there is no corresponding blood spurt. But shoot lower and then there is a blood spurt.

The fire from the Hellspawn puts out this yellow smoke that just obscures everything. Why yellow? Other fires are shades of grey and white. And when you are on fire you can not see anything if you stand still.

I think there is something wrong with the Infected's virus, poison or whatever. I gradually loose health like you said but after about 2 minutes I magically gain health back seemingly out of nowhere. And why does he run away after stabbing you?

Grey Dude is still a pain. His hitboxes seem to be messes up also. It takes several "headshots" to kill him with a regular rifle. And why is he so aggressive? I mean that he gets so close to you that your weapon, especially rifles, seem to go through him. Its like he thinks he has a small knife so he has to get that close instead of that shovel which would be more effective a little further out.

I still hate the UNG. Especially when powered by a human. Only two classes have a chance at killing him quickly. The sniper and the machine gunner.

Why is the Anarchist such a wimp?! He used to be feared but now I can usually kill him with 2 shots. Often time with just one. I think he and the Gas Man should be mirror images of the other with the Gas man being somewhat weak to damage and the Anarchist the tough one to kill.

FlamingBadfinger
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FlamingBadfinger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm

I agree about the new smoke. It's pretty impossible to see anything when it gets thick.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

I can reduce the smoke a little but it's meant to obscure, meant to make things harder to see. I will change the colour to something else.

The HellSpawn has more health. That's why he's a little harder to kill.
The hit boxes....well, it's a CSS model converted over to DoDS so it's never going to have decent hit boxes. Just aim for the body!
As for the Grey Dude....the issue is with the VALVe engine. The Grey Dude (in fact all zombies) gets inside the rifle extents and thus no bullet will kill him. Engine collisions are the issue and there isn't a lot I can do except to get him to back off.
Besides I think VALVe do some hard coded cheating in the background with hitboxes. Can't seem to pinpoint where it is in code.

The Infected running away? Oh that's easy. He thinks you're dying so doesn't try to finish you off and heads off to find other targets.

UNG is killed easily by sniper. If you prefer, I can add a new indicator in the sniper scope to show the UNG.

Yeah...there's a bug in the virus thing. I need to investigate and see why it is restoring health for some.

George
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by George » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

I can't run the sniper rifle. My playing style is frontal assault, and the sniper is more of a hang back kind of weapon. :)[/quote]

Me too Rico. I don't think I even know how to retreat! Jerome and Dr. Bob tease me about it all the time.

Dr. Bob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dr. Bob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:And when you are on fire you can not see anything if you stand still.
I played a bit today and this was the first thing I noticed. You'd be standing on a flag, a grey dude would spawn the Hell Spawn on you, and suddenly everyone merged together in a wall of flame.

As far as the hit boxes go, a few melee hits seems to down the Hell Spawn. Shooting him in the neck seemed effective too.

This may have come up before, but is it possible to put Palmero on IV? Or maybe just remove Drizz? It seems to kill the server every evening.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm

I reduced the health of the UNG.
I will add the Hell Spawn to the list of Zombies NOT selected by the Grey Dude.
Will add Palermo and take off Drizz

I'm actually looking at adding a new map this weekend. I just have to waypoint it first which takes a while!

FlamingBadfinger
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FlamingBadfinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 am

Dog, you're a hero :)

Dr. Bob
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dr. Bob » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am

FlamingBadfinger wrote:Dog, you're a hero :)
Indeed :D

FlamingBadfinger
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FlamingBadfinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm

So, Dog, we're all wondering, what's with all the presents dropping all over the maps?

Rico[CotC]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rico[CotC] » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Love the update. Dog, YOU ROCK.

George
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by George » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 pm

We played tonight and a few things I noticed on IX:
When there was just a few of us on, the lag on connecting was minimal. As more came on it got worse.

There were Hell Spawn with zombie filling. The AI would be layered with 4-5 zombies

I have an admin menu but as soon as I go into it to kick or mute, the menu goes away and no list of names appears.

Just a few things. Thanks Dog for all you do!

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 pm

well played a couple of times now, my poorly pc seems to be coping well with the extra flames so from that i will conclude that the hell spawn as not really made lag worse :). not sure yet on the infected 1's new party trick. 1 thing i will suggest if possible would be to add some sort of visual to the player who as been stabbed's view. maybe a red tint and if your dieing of a stab then maybe increase disorientation the lower their health gets.

apart from that it gets a thumbs up.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am

Geez Dog! Do you ever have down time? Lately all it seems you have been doing in L4DOD! Don't get me wrong I am grateful and fully enjoy everything you do for us even if it sometimes causes me to say very R rated words out loud. It would be nice if the community could express its gratitude to you in some form other then the forums. I know you have said you don't want to accept money from us for the work you do but isn't there something we could do in the real world to express our gratitude?

About the UNG wasn't really expecting this but I will take what I can get. I was more hoping to move him back to NPC only.

What happened to IX? You fixing that?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 am

IX died for some reason, last night.
Back up.

George
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by George » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 am

We noticed when playing last night that the UNGs are dropping free shields! Great compromise that I am loving!.

I actually really like the infecteds new feature. It makes sense like it should have been there all of the time. I also noticed that there seem to be more funds dropping and really appreciate that. My funds got down from $30,000 to $0 buying shields.

Thanks for all you do to keep it fun, Dog!