Moderator: Site Admins

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TF2 Custom Map Night Wednesdays!

Post by Plas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Pc's been down for the last week. Just got it back up and reinstalling stuff. I'll pop in if Tf2's good to go by then.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone for making this week's seed/test night a success. If you have any comments on the maps we played, post them here.

If you'd like to see a map played at a future date, either post it here or in the Custom Maps subforum.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 pm

I am excitebike.

I liked all those maps, but especially the third one. I think that's one of the better KOTH maps I've played, and it has a bit of the Granary vibe.

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Gearloose wrote:I am excitebike.

I liked all those maps, but especially the third one. I think that's one of the better KOTH maps I've played, and it has a bit of the Granary vibe.
This. Felt like Granary with a mix of viaduct in it. Really fun map!

Thanks for doing this guys!
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

DarkDrifter
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DarkDrifter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:03 am

All three map were totally awesome. I personally love playing KOTH and am very saddened that TV3 stays empty most of the time. TV3 is actually the reason that had brought me to The Ville so long ago, and its decline has been very disheartening.
Being able to play these three maps with a full server of players was a very needed breath of fresh air in my TF2 playing time.
Especially these three maps.
I've been following Star_ for a long time now and I've since his break downs on each of these maps. I was very excited to hear that they were going to be featured in this weeks Custom Map Night and personally I would love for them to be added to TV3 to hopefully give a second wind to the poor server.

Anywho lamentations aside, the 3 maps worked out great. All three were hard fought and fairly even throughout. I honestly wish we could have played longer on them.
I love how each of the three take advantage of the elevation differences.
Arctic in particular took heavy advantage of the underground path and the drop signs on the point level. It was refreshing and terrifying to know that is was so very easy to flank your opponent, and I took heavy advantage of both the available routes to get behind and pull a flanking attempt or to take out the sniper from his shack.

I'm glad to know that we are getting back to the weekly events and hope to see some more in the future. I cant wait for another MeleeMania or Randomizer night, and I know I'll be doing wed night custom as often as I can.

Thank you again Admins. Tonight was a total blast!

Plas
Server Admin
Server Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 am

First time playing all 3 of those maps and each one was enjoyable. Toy fort was fun as well, before the server cleared out. Thanks for hosting the event. :clap:

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 am

The first map I didn't like so much, it seemed too small even considering its alternate paths.

The other two were good.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 am

Didn't like the first one - claustrophobically small, and felt like you were getting blasted the moment you exited the spawn buildings, which took up half the map. One annoyingly long and nearly impregenable sniper sightline, nearly no sightlines for anything else. Alt-routes through back of small buildings limited to scout only, and point very hemmed in.

Second one was better, though I'd like it if it was either easier or harder to get up on the sides. It felt like most of the game consisted of endless mini-SGs being built above in positions which could cover the point with ease, and which also could cover themselves against the approach stairs, because you had to ascend laterally in view of the engineers without being able to return fire. This map gave a bit more space out the gate, which was good, but every time I made any attempt to use any route other than the upper, I got owned by people/SGs up above.

I left before the third one. Maybe I'm just not a KOTH player, or maybe it was because half the players seemed to be derping instead of pursuing the objective. Either way, I went to bed. I'll try again next week!
-Boss Llama

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 am

I missed the first one, I liked the second best. The third was alright, even the weird lighting aside.

I believe most KoTH maps are designed with 16-20 players and full respawn times in mind, so playing them with a full server and fast spawns probably has a negative impact on the playability.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

DarkDrifter
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DarkDrifter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm

[quote="Plinko"]I believe most KoTH maps are designed with 16-20 players and full respawn times in mind, so playing them with a full server and fast spawns probably has a negative impact on the playability.[/quote]

Well the purpose of this 3 specific maps was that they're meant for competition level Highlander games. At least that's what the contest STAR hosted was about. These maps were the 1st-3rd winner of that contest.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Plinko wrote:fast spawns probably has a negative impact on the playability.
We run KOTH maps with stock respawn times. In fact all new maps are stock repawns.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Most likely any negative impact on playability stemmed from the fact that these maps were designed for competitive highlander, which is significantly different than how you all were likely playing them.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm

The maps did seem a bit crowded with 24 on.

And yeah, I think everyone was just doing their own thing, plus we didn't have a one player per class limit going on.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:31 pm

We have that setting on TV2 as well? I know it's on TV3 and events.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I agree the first one was too small - maybe better with smaller teams - and that sniper spot was a little too good. But I still enjoyed it.

The second one I found difficult as a sniper - there were really only three spots with good sight lines, and they were way too easily reached by the sniper's traditional predators. Worked better as an archer.

The third one was I find it hard to find fault with. There was a shelf near the point that I wished I could jump to as a sniper, but that's about all.