Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: What Defines a "Pro" Player?

Post by Checkm8 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Watch b4nny. That is a pro. Watch anything on this eXtv channel. There is really good gameplay there.

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:14 pm

B4nny has been the best demo in invite for multiple seasons now, IMO. Check out his blind detenation against coL. It should be on the eXtv channel.
New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am

Have you seen Dr. Justice play demo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8f2zTT1KqQ

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 am

--HaDeS-- wrote:B4nny has been the best demo in invite for multiple seasons now, IMO. Check out his blind detenation against coL. It should be on the eXtv channel.
i actually got to play a lobby with him and he spent some time in my team's Mumble channel, it was pretty cool talking to him.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I used to play on this 24/7 badwater pub server where b4nny (and some other crazy good invite players) would play. It's interesting how comp players conduct themselves in pubs. I remember b4nny was a big jumper, always using fast airstrafing to his advantage on the flight in, landing a few well placed nades/rockets, and then jumping out before any of us pub players had a chance to line up a shot, much less hit him (that's if we survived the onslaught, which we usually didn't).

Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Kagsacar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 am

Alright i want to make a video that show a average game on Warpath, and see if you guys think i am a good player, the one problem is that i can't record it without the game being so laggy it is unplayable, anyway to fix that or is it just i need a better processor?

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Kagsacar wrote:Alright i want to make a video that show a average game on Warpath, and see if you guys think i am a good player, the one problem is that i can't record it without the game being so laggy it is unplayable, anyway to fix that or is it just i need a better processor?
Are you using Fraps? I find that it will lag the game for a short while, but the framerate will even out after about 30 seconds.

Kagsacar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Kagsacar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Peahats wrote:
Kagsacar wrote:Alright i want to make a video that show a average game on Warpath, and see if you guys think i am a good player, the one problem is that i can't record it without the game being so laggy it is unplayable, anyway to fix that or is it just i need a better processor?
Are you using Fraps? I find that it will lag the game for a short while, but the framerate will even out after about 30 seconds.
no i am using the ingame movie thingy.

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Kagsacar wrote:
Peahats wrote:
replays? or demos? Either way Fraps is your best bet, though it does cost money (there are of course ways around that, but I don't know what The Ville's stance on cracking programs is. So you'll have to look that up yourself if you wish.)

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Is there some sort of list of the best players at each class?

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm

The Domer wrote:Is there some sort of list of the best players at each class?
  • ALL:
    EJ
In seriousness, any list would be pure speculation, but results from pro level tournaments or the highest online leagues should reveal a lot.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, i'd say it's up in the air. Some players are better in somethings then others. Though, some of the Invite players are preeetty good at most.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

KajiVena
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by KajiVena » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 pm

The best way to become pro is to just practice, and not main Engineer/Heavy as your only main. Side main class? Sure, go right ahead. But any of the other seven classes will allow you the room to improve.

I recommend two things: Play multiple classes and get adept at all of them.
Visit a MGE server every once in a while and get your butt handed to you by good DM (deathmatch) skills.
crimsonshootingstar wrote:To become a "pro" player you have to throw your entire life into playing games and making them as serious a part of your life as you possibly can. If you think you are playing a game and are trying to have fun then you have already failed in that respect. The first key is to find every advantage you can by changing your settings and equipment to give you even the smallest advantages. Second you need to study every facet of the game down to the minutest detail to figure out which load outs and classes are most powerful and exactly how to exploit them. Next you need to find a specific group or team to work with and define and practice tactics, strategy and choreography for every possible scenario. The final step is to practice a massive amount until you could do this in your sleep. Congratulations you have now removed the game from the game and made it a profession. You are a pro. You are well on your way to being the next Johnathan Wendel and are disenvited from pax for all eternity.
Yes, becoming pro at a game removes all fun the game has for you.

That is why so many people love playing Team Fortress 2 at UGC Platinum level, ESEA Invite level, ETF2L Division 1 level, etc. They can't possibly be having fun as "professional" Team Fortress 2 players who are really just your average pub players who wanted to not face the same ten sentries on Dustbowl 3 2nd anymore. It's definitely work, going online, kicking the enemies butt (or getting their own handed to them), blowing stuff up/shooting holes through others heads, chilling and playing together with a group of five-eight other friends and only getting paid if they win the finals.

Definitely work. No fun allowed after all.

Steam: KajiVena
DeviantArt: Mackinz
Minecraft: Mackinz

KV's One Stop Drop Shop

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:39 am

if you type "record demo" in console it should lag a bit at the very beginning but after that there should be no difference at all in performance, you can then use the startmovie command to make that demo into a video that you can upload to youtube.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:44 am

Kagsacar wrote:
Peahats wrote:
Never try to do that during an actual game, I don't think there's a processor on the market that could handle that load (saving a full-resolution image for every frame).

As others have said, record a demo, then play it back while recording. Your game will run smooth, and the recording will look identical to your gameplay.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS