Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TF2 Custom Map Nights!

Post by Daryldime » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:16 am

I also left due to EST. However Borneo was fairly good! Last point was a bit of a challenge plus the lovely cart hole being open at all times meant I fell in as demo more than my fair share(kallous can attest to this as he was pocketing me a few times as I took the final step). I love a map with plenty of flanks and that one did not disappoint!

I also agree with Soup. Perhaps 1 of each major type per week if we are attemoting new customs once a week (CP, PL, CTF, KOTH, PLR/Something Silly)
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 am

Alpen ended quite close to my bedtime, too. I think we had a lot of people maxed out by the time it ended.

Map suggestions for TV2 are very welcome in the Custom Server Sub-forum. I see a few folks already made new map suggestions, so I hope we have some good ones by next week!

Since TV2 has been a ghost town for a while, I think a lot of people would be interested in reviving any oldies (other than glacier), so those suggestions would be great, too.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am

I really liked Aspen, but we saw two rounds where BLU didn't cap the first point; however, we did also have a round where BLU rolled.

I also really want to like Manngrove. It was very complicated and neither team could get to the third point, but I feel like it had potential - the reason people didn't like it largely stemmed from unfamiliarity.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 am

Manngrove is interesting because it uses vertical space fairly well, and later I think I'll load it up just to walk around in. Now, we don't get casual gamers in TV2 very often, but I can imagine people bailing because they have no idea what's going on.

On that note, all three maps had some issues with confusing paths and undifferentiated areas. I like a map with an interesting design, but there has to be a balance between a maze of twisty passages, all alike, and ctf_hallofdeath.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Any comments about last week's maps before we get to Wednesday this week?

Also, remember to suggest maps you'd like to see played on TV2 in the Custom Map subforum under TF2.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm usually not a fan of payload maps, but the one we played last week was pretty good. Not too stalematey, and flowed pretty well. I didn't care much for the capture point one we played.

We have enough people, I'd still suggest blackmesa. I had a blast on that map with a lot of people.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:02 pm

After looking at some suggestions for maps from last week, this week's map "schedule" is as follows:

cp_desertion
cp_zinkenite
cp_vertical
ctf_quarry
cp_blackmesa

Download them now so you don't have to download them in-game!
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Sorry, I got pulled away early last week, I think blackmesa would have been next after halfacre, which is the big payload you're talking about, Oldman.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:30 pm

So I D/L'd the five on the list for this week and have some feedback. I liked the PL from last week and was meh on the CP, but I liked that CP better than I think I do any of these, except maybe the first.

cp_desertion: The best of the bunch. It has very big open areas subject to SG domination, and a couple of long sightlines that will make snipers laugh gleefully, but overall it's playable. The rooms feel a bit big and empty in some cases, and the first CP is extremely slow, but considering the entire map is only 2 points, that may be deliberate.

cp_zinkenite: This map is very claustrophobic, even in the open-sky areas. It's three stages, the first two of which have crazy fast cap times. There are so many pathways, deadends, nooks, and side routes, I think the biggest issue is that everybody on both sides will get lost, and they'll rarely find each other. Because of the incomprehensible maze and countless approaches, defense is at a big disadvantage pretty much everywhere except on stage two, between caps A and B. At that point there is a chokepoint that a 12 year old with a wooden spoon ought to be able to hold - a single entry path, with no side routes, in to a well-supplied cover-filled room with great build areas, and spawn nearby. The map is fairly pretty, and you'll get a lot of exposure to the nice visuals, because a wall is rarely more than 5 feet from your face.

cp_vertical: This map shouldn't be played. It is horribly designed, has lots of texture issues, practically no wayfinding, and suffers from an inexcusable flaw - it is vertical. The reason maps do not do this more often is because it is a terrible idea. Soldiers and demos have a massive advantage everywhere on this entire map, and the defense pretty much ought to be able to hold offense from ever even getting out of their spawn room without any difficulty. The only thing other than a massive teamstack that has any likelihood of resulting in offense reaching the first cap is the fact that the defense spawns at the beginning with no wayfinding clues, several stories away from the first point, and the most obvious spawn exit leads directly in to a sealed area from which they can't access the rest of the map. If they do go the right way, and guess their way to the actual combat area, they can't get back to spawn - the exit used is a drop out the floor through a gate that closes behind you. If you can picture the final map of cp_corporation, but with absolutely no furnishings or cover anywhere, and with holes so that people defending the upper floor could shoot attackers the moment the attackers step foot out of spawn, that would be something similar to this. I could go on, but I won't - this map is baaaaaad and should never have been made.

ctf_quarry: The compactness of Mach4 combined with the lulz of ctf_trains. One big/tall arena in center, and a couple of mine carts moving at blinding speed on a track, with zero warning that they're coming, delivering instant death to anybody they touch. Might be ok in small doses, but given that the carts can get from "out of sight" to "you're dead" faster than some classes can run across the track, I'm guessing it's best to avoid much exposure.

cp_blackmesa: Horrible wayfinding from spawn - what attempt at it there is makes absolutely no sense. Points are labeled "B" "L" "A" "C" and "K" in that order, from each side (so point A is the middle point, point B or K is your first point, L and C are what you have to cap to get A, etc). The middle point, once you find it, is suspended on a catwalk in the middle of a monsterously huge open room with no cover. A good sniper could probably hold an entire team for a little while in here, because you will arrive in predictable places, with an open sightline for a couple hundred feet. Exiting the center to attack L or C involves jumping and being gently floated up an air shaft directly to the point, where you arrive, still helplessly floating, directly in front of a buildable surface that's completely sheltered from all other attacks. An SG will eat well for weeks in this location. Lighting issues also make this one hard on the eyes.
-Boss Llama

Bash-man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bash-man » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I liked them all. Even the ones I was totally lost in. Good for playing spy.

Reminded me of my pre-Ville days. Jumping on random servers based on ping only, you never know what map you might be playing. New maps are ALWAYS fun. The good ones stay fun after playing for a long time (Warpath anyone?).

A decent rotation of interesting and not obviously broken maps is good enough for me. There are some variations of Ville favorites that might be fun to slip in too, like Lushbowl or some of the warpath spinoffs.

I appreciate all the work folks are putting into setting Custom Map Nights up.
Thanks CheckM8!
"Change isn't necessary. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edward Deming

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Looks like we got an interesting lineup for tomorrow night though!
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 pm

You can dodge the minecarts in Quarry if you hide in the little alcoves inside the mine tunnels and time it for just after the cart passes by. No class can make it through the tunnels in one pass.

Also, the inside of the enemy base can be made into quite the deathtrap, but the intel room itself isn't the place to hold from.

(I liked Quarry from a while back. I thought this was some snazzy new version of it, until I looked and realized that it was just the same one from 2008.)

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Today was a good day.

cp_desertion and cp_zinkenite looked pretty good
ctf_quarry looked good as a "lulz" map
cp_vertical and cp_blackmesa were a definite "no", though

If anyone would like to go into more detail, go right ahead.

And don't forget to suggest maps for next week!

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Desertion seemed at times too large and too small.

Zinkenite is good.

Quarry I have always liked.

And a "no" on the other two. I think Daryldime was mentioning that there's another version of Blackmesa out there.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Quarry was awesome.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."