Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

What is it?

Post by Stevo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Here I am sitting on our server while I see 4 other villuns on some random other server, which seems to be a recurring pattern. Is there something wrong with our server, or is it that you just don't want to spend the time to seed it? If there is something you don't like about our server, what is it?

Maybe it was a mistake to think that our community wanted a Ville BF3 server enough to be willing to support it. Maybe everyone prefers to just play on whatever server happens to be full.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: What is it?

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I think the thing I have heard echoed by most of the Ville BF3 players is that they do not want to play on a 32 man server. The second most is that they do not want to play any Rush.

Most people prefer to play on Conquest Large 64 servers. I personally dislike this as it usually ends up being impossible to fly as you usually have 6-8 stingers locked onto you at any given time. I prefer Conquest Large with 48ish people. Why? It just feels more balanced. With 32 players, just about everyone on either team can be in a combat vehicle. Lets take Firestorm for example. 5 tanks, each possibly holding 3 people, 1 AAV, 1 Attack Chopper, 1 Transport Chopper, 2 Jets. That's 25/32 people in combat vehicles. That leaves 7 people out of vehicles for infantry combat on each side. Not really a fun match in my opinion at that point.

Conquest Small is not the answer either as most of the small versions of the Conquest maps are terrible. Not just bad, but TERRIBLE. Even the two most balanced, in my opinion, Conquest maps in the game, Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar, turn into horrible maps on Conquest Small.

Rush is just not seen by many as a fun game mode. I personally like it, but it's not what I want to play all the time.

I don't know what the actual solution is, but i think now that we've solved the problem of getting players, namely ignoring making our server Quick Match compatible, we should try some larger player settings and a pure Conquest server.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:36 pm

We don't want to play rush, Conquest Large without playing Wheres Waldo for 30 minutes at a time with 32 players. I dunno how else to say it, but every night almost virtually every player in Teamspeak has echoed those sentiments. I just dunno if the right people have been listening I guess, because it's been like that since day one.

EDIT : As I was typing my post Frosty posted and as you can see, we are on the same page here.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 pm

frostdillicus wrote:I think the thing I have heard echoed by most of the Ville BF3 players is that they do not want to play on a 32 man server. The second most is that they do not want to play any Rush.

Most people prefer to play on Conquest Large 64 servers. I personally dislike this as it usually ends up being impossible to fly as you usually have 6-8 stingers locked onto you at any given time. I prefer Conquest Large with 48ish people. Why? It just feels more balanced. With 32 players, just about everyone on either team can be in a combat vehicle. Lets take Firestorm for example. 5 tanks, each possibly holding 3 people, 1 AAV, 1 Attack Chopper, 1 Transport Chopper, 2 Jets. That's 25/32 people in combat vehicles. That leaves 7 people out of vehicles for infantry combat on each side. Not really a fun match in my opinion at that point.

Conquest Small is not the answer either as most of the small versions of the Conquest maps are terrible. Not just bad, but TERRIBLE. Even the two most balanced, in my opinion, Conquest maps in the game, Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar, turn into horrible maps on Conquest Small.

Rush is just not seen by many as a fun game mode. I personally like it, but it's not what I want to play all the time.

I don't know what the actual solution is, but i think now that we've solved the problem of getting players, namely ignoring making our server Quick Match compatible, we should try some larger player settings and a pure Conquest server.
I mostly agree with frosty, but I'm fine with 64 players now that stingers/iglas have been nerfed a bit.

Also, I'm not a fan of rush, and I hate metro in all its forms.
Last edited by Clay Pigeon on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Indeed with the stinger/igla changes and AA guns no longer tossing choppers around like rag dolls, 64 is less of an issue for me.

I would also suggest never putting Operation Metro and Noshar Canals in any Conquest rotation ever. They are both terrible maps that are nigh unplayable for one team due to map design fail.

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Personally, I think the rotation is terrible right now. I don't care for conquest large and metro rush is the worst.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Metro Rush is by far one of the more balanced Rush maps in the game, aside from the mortar spam of the first area. Mortar spam is a problem for most of the maps though and is the fault of the mortars not of the maps.

And frankly, if you don't like Conquest Large what is the point of playing BF3? Battlefield is Conquest Large. Mixed infantry, air, and ground vehicle combat.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I think a better title to this post would be "Talk to me Goose"

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm

frostdillicus wrote:Indeed with the stinger/igla changes and AA guns no longer tossing choppers around like rag dolls, 64 is less of an issue for me.

I would also suggest never putting Operation Metro and Noshar Canals in any Conquest rotation ever. They are both terrible maps that are nigh unplayable for one team due to map design fail.
Metro... hellto-the-no

Canal... good

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 pm

El_Hefe wrote:
frostdillicus wrote:Indeed with the stinger/igla changes and AA guns no longer tossing choppers around like rag dolls, 64 is less of an issue for me.

Metro... hellto-the-no

Canal... good
You haven't been on russian when I'm sitting in the ciws.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Jokes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Jokes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Frost pretty much nailed it imo. 64 man feels too chaotic at times, and 32 gets lonely. 48 is pretty good in my eyes.

I think admins should really take a look at running an all conquest assault rotation when back to karkand drops. The mode sounds like it'll satisfy fans of both rush and conquest. in the mean time, lets try bumping up the max players a bit. regardless of what is chosen, I'll continue to seed the server whenever i have time.
aka [Bats]

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We'll try a higher player count and no rush. Remember to post any complaints or suggestions you may have in the future.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Jokes wrote:I think admins should really take a look at running an all conquest assault rotation when back to karkand drops.
I keep saying this!! There is a reason why battlefield 2 was so freaking popular, it was the maps!

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:01 am

It ran for a pretty good amount of time tonight. Last game I have played on it was around 1 AM CST. It stayed pretty full, but started dwindling down to 15v15 and 12v12 until it just went quietly into the night.

As more people find it and favorite it, it should be running pretty well with these settings as long as we seed it early in the day.

X.O.Skeleton
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by X.O.Skeleton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 am

frostdillicus wrote:I prefer Conquest Large with 48ish people.
Mmm 48ish or so on conquest large is good
64 is too much to handle
Crafted by Betteh