bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Frustration

Post by bluntspoon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I want to like this game. I played a fair amount of BF2 and enjoyed it immensely.I'm really frustrated at the moment because I'm not liking this at all. Part of it is because I suck. :) Ok, fair enough. But I sucked at BF2 to start as well but enjoyed the game enough to push through and get better. Right now I just want to throw my hands in the air and curse.

I feel like more than half my deaths are due to being ninja'd buy some guy I never see with a weapon that's 5 times better than anything I have available. The difference in upgraded weapons is huge.

Bah. Enough whining.

I guess the question is does anyone have tips on how to enjoy the game more and work through the initial feeling like a duck out of water?

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Frustration

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:15 pm

I hear you loud and clear. I'm starting to enjoy it more but I'm not falling for it the same way I did for BC2.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bullet4o1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 pm

You can't rambo as much in this game. Need to coordinate your attacks with other teammates.
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Get on teamspeak and work with a squad closely. It makes the winning more fun and the losing more tolerable.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 pm

2 things about the points in the game that i rather enjoy over the last one that should hropfully make progressing a little easier.

1. assit points. oh man is this nice. if you hurt a guy 99% you get 99 points. no more kill stealing as you get credit for what you do.

2. what seems to me as increased points for objectives, whether it be disabling a vehicle or capping a point... it all adds up a lot more quickly.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

X.O.Skeleton
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by X.O.Skeleton » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Dirty Dan wrote:Get on teamspeak and work with a squad closely. It makes the winning more fun and the losing more tolerable.
So much point in this
Gizanked wrote:1. assit points. oh man is this nice. if you hurt a guy 99% you get 99 points. no more kill stealing as you get credit for what you do.

2. what seems to me as increased points for objectives, whether it be disabling a vehicle or capping a point... it all adds up a lot more quickly.
I like those things too
Crafted by Betteh

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

I just don't see the point is having to play for 40 hours before you get the use the weapon you want.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:30 pm

The only classes I really play are support and recon and I use gun that they give support and the first unlocked sniper for recon and I'm pretty effective with them.. I don't think the guns are completely out of balance from levels.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm

The weapon I have 6 service stars with wouldn't be unlocked yet if it wasn't a pre order early access. In the shotgun world it makes a huge difference.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:43 pm

First of all, I would advise to play any class execept recon since recon has next to no options to team play points. A good way to get kills on weapons is to play deathmatch, or give squad rush a try since that is just 4v4. The starting weapons are fine, its the addons that makes the differences.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:47 pm

iOwn- wrote:The only classes I really play are support and recon and I use gun that they give support and the first unlocked sniper for recon and I'm pretty effective with them.. I don't think the guns are completely out of balance from levels.
Most of the starter weapons are still what I use even now, except maybe one, which I unlocked after about 30 minutes of play.

Hop on TS3 we are more than willing to play with you and give you some advice blunt :)

Also what Jesus said, the addons make the difference. The M416 is the second? unlock for assault, slap an IRNV (or one of the RDS / Kobra) + Fore grip + Heavy barrel and you're a wreckin machine.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Jesus_Faction wrote:First of all, I would advise to play any class execept recon since recon has next to no options to team play points.
I don't just sit in the back of the map and snipe though.. I go for points too!

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:13 pm

As a beginner there are some map/mode combinations you should avoid.

The first is Conquest Metro. Hell, even if you aren't a beginner this combination should be avoided. Avoid most of the large vehicle based conquest maps and learn on their smaller versions. I find they actually play better than the large versions 95% of the time.

It sounds dumb, as this was the only map in the beta for a long time, but Metro Rush is a good way to learn the game and weapons. It is straight infantry combat and is actually a decent map, assuming you don't have 5 people on each side using mortars on the first map. Seine crossing in either mode is also a great infantry based map. Even on Conquest Large the most vehicles you will ever see is a tank and 2 jeeps for each side. This gives you a chance to actually learn how to fight people without getting blown up from across the map by a tank shell.

Bazaar is also a good map in all modes for learning infantry tactics. It again has limited vehicles with the heaviest vehicle being an IFV on Conquest and a Tank on attackers for the last set of points of Rush.

Maps that should be avoided. Noshar Canals is a terribly designed map. The AA for the US side is set up in such a way that it can cover 3 entire points from an elevated position, so not only does it chew up the RU air, it also chews up the RU tanks, jeeps, and infantry. Biker had a ~3000 point game last night just sitting in the AA. Kharg Island is ok, but not great. Davamand Peak is more of an annoying map than anything else, especially if your chopper pilot has no clue what they are doing. However, if you like shooting down hallways with rockets for 20 minutes, it's the map for you!

TL;DR version.

Maps to play:
Seine Crossing (Any Mode)
Caspian Border (Any Mode)
Metro (Rush)
Bazaar (Any Mode)

Maps to avoid:
Davamand Peak (Conquest)
Norshar Canals (Any Mode)
Kharg Island (Any Mode)

Maps that are ok:
Tehran Highway (Any mode)
Operation Firestorm (Any mode)

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:45 pm

iOwn- wrote:
Jesus_Faction wrote:First of all, I would advise to play any class execept recon since recon has next to no options to team play points.
I don't just sit in the back of the map and snipe though.. I go for points too!
You would still increase your teamplay-ability if you played another class

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a slightly better run this afternoon. I need to breath deeply and let it happen. I still believe however the upgrades are stupidly done. Every once in a while I'll pick up a gun that's lying around next to a dead body and be amazed at how good it is in comparison.