How Many of the Sidegrades Do You Really Use?

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: How Many of the Sidegrades Do You Really Use?

Post by Will T. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:00 pm

My loadouts depend entirely on the situation and my mood. I, too, will change mid-round frequently.
VIEW CONTENT:
Scout: Scattergun, Mad Milk, and still haven't settled on a consistent melee yet. Usually just the Holy Mackerel. I don't play Scout much.

Soldier: Black Box/Direct Hit, any of the banners, usually the Frying Pan (identical to standard shovel) but I've been trying out the Half-Zatoichi since I got it.

Pyro: Degreaser, Shotgun, Axtinguisher. This one's pretty much rock-solid for me, but I do experiment with the different melees. Just recently realized how much more effective the shotgun is paired with the Degreaser than the flare gun. :P

Demoman: Standard 'nade launcher, Scottish Resistance, Ullapool Caber. I still wear the Demopan headgear pair though. Maybe it confuses people.

Heavy: Iron Curtain (promo, identical to standard Minigun), Sandvich, different melee depending on the game.

Engineer: Switch between Shotgun/Frontier Justice, Wrangler, Jag. Sometimes I use the Southern Hospitality or the vanilla wrench.

Medic: Crusader's Crossbow, standard Medigun, Amputator. I don't do anything except heal as Medic usually so I figured the benefit of 33% faster health regeneration was a fair trade-off for attack power.

Sniper: Huntsman/Standard rifle (switch depending on my mood, but usually Huntsman), Jarate, standard Kukri. Sometimes I rotate the melee weapons out, but usually I stick with the stock one. I haven't un-equipped Jarate since I got it except to try out the croc shield for about 60 seconds. :P

Spy: No consistent loadout except the Cloak & Dagger watch. Everything else I just switch around a lot. I'm terrible as Spy so I don't play him enough to have a consistent loadout.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:14 pm

My main classes are Pyro, Spy, and Soldier, but I tend to change class rather than change loadout on the fly. The original game was balanced in this manner, and I feel it's better to simply change to a class that handles a situation well, than use a sidegrade I'm not experienced with.

As far as my default loadouts, three classes I change nothing but the costmetics, three classes I use one functionally new weapon, and three classes I use two functionally new weapons. In no case do I carry replacements in all three+ slots as part of normal operations.

Scout: No functional changes. Luger for cosmetics.

Soldier: Equalizer

Pyro: Degreaser and Axtinguisher

Demoman: No functional changes. Pan for costmetics.

Heavy: GRUs.

Engineer: No functional changes. Luger for cosmetics.

Sniper: Shiv

Medic: Blutsauger, Ubersaw

Spy: Cloak and Dagger
-Boss Llama

jaypeebuoy
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jaypeebuoy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

I play a large variety of classes (mostly why I like TF2) but I usually do Medic, Demoman, or some support class.

Medic: I use the crossbow because...I like shooting things afar? Sometimes I whip it out to see if I can kill someone with it for fun but that happens rarely. If I am playing seriously, I would use the normal syringe gun because of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcWmpkj ... re=related

I also use the ubersaw because I see the main benefit of Medics as their ubers and anything that helps you get one quicker is that much more useful.

I don't like kritz but that's a personal preference.

Demo: If I play against Keyes, I use the grenade one with the charge n' targe. If I play against Plas, I use the frying pan and try to jump kill him.

Spy: Cloak and Dagger. I just die a lot as a spy :P

Bakuryu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Bakuryu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 pm

I change my loadouts situationally.

Pyro: Degreaser, shotty, homewrecker/axestinguisher
Solly: Rocket Launcher (Black box if the team is doing really poorly and I'm havin trouble), Buff Banner (conch during stalemates, Equalizer
Medic: Standard Uber: amp/xbow Kritz: Bluts and Vita
Demo: Standard except for the pan
Scout: FaN (a must for all flag runners), Milk/Bonk, Sandman/Candy Cane
Heavy: Sascha, Sandvich, FoS (more broken than GRU)
Sniper: Reg rifle (huntsman situationally), razorback, tribe
Spy: Reward (I hate using it, but it's so broken you kinda need to), c&d, l'etranger
Engy: Shotty, luger, jag
I will find you...and I will kill you

Pain in the @&^% TF'er since 2000.

MrSilver
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrSilver » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Heavy
Saha (same as regular gun, promo from Pocker game with communist symbol)
Sandvich, always during a regular game
Gloves of Running Urgently, always during a regular game

Engie
Jag

Medic
VitaSaw

Demo
almost always stock

Pyro
I have been known to indulge in the backburner from time to time. :D

So heavy is only where I see some improvements, and of course the Jag. (nifty little wrench)

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Soldier: D-hit, Equalizer, Buff banner
I do swap and use all 3 rocket launchers at various times and for different maps.
Heavy: sandvich, GRU, no changes ever
Demo: caber
Demoknight: skullcutter/caber+targe
Pyro: degreaser, homewrecker, flaregun for fooling around
Sniper: bushwacka, jarate, huntsman (for fooling around only, I suck at sniper)
Engineer: jag/gunslinger, wrangler on occasion, frontier justice
Spy: Cloak+Dagger, Ambassador (for fooling around only, I suck at spy)
Medic: Ubersaw/Amputator, Kritzkreig about 50% of the time, crossbow/blutsager
Scout: FAN/Shortstop, bonk, basher

About the only class I don't extensively use sidegrades on is the demo, at least after they nerfed the Scottish resistance.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 pm

My usual loadout:
Scout: Scattergun, Mad Milk, Sandman -or- Polycount set
Soldier: Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Equalizer
Pyro: Degreaser, Shotgun, Axtinguisher/Homewrecker(defense)

Demoman: Grenade Launcher, Sticky Launcher, Ullapool Caber
Heavy: Sasha, Sandvich, G.R.U.
Engineer: Shotgun, Pistol, Wrench

Medic: Crusader's Crossbow, Medigun, Amputator
Sniper: Sniper Rifle, Jarate, Kukri
Spy: Revolver, Knife, watch varies greatly

I don't usually switch weapons. Usually all I change is Demoman or Engineer melee weapons. I'll also use the Gunboats when I need mobility and the Huntsman for fun, but rarely.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:12 pm

I cant hardly play heavy without gru and sandvich and the same goes for soldier with the black box and battalions backup. A lot of the other classes I could play stock but I dabble hear and there.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Nezer
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Nezer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I use a lot of the side upgrades.

Scout. I use the milk man set
Soldier BlackBox Equalizer
Medic Amputator. (sometimes krits)
Demo Demopan Charge
Heavy Sandvich Iron Curtain GRU
Spy Dead Ringer
Spy (Troll) CD Ambasador dualing mini game
Sniper, Use everything depending on the situation
Defence engie Jag (Wrangler on some spots) Justice, Lugamorph
Offence engie Gunslinger lugamorph Justice
Pyro, degreeser axetinguisher

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:02 am

Soldier: Equalizer
Medic: medieval medic set and depending on the situation, kritzkreg
Engineer: I'm starting to use the gunslinger.
Once I start playing the other classes I'll begin to use more sidegrades.

EmbraceThePing
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by EmbraceThePing » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 pm

I don't have a class that I haven't changed the weps on.
In order of playtime...

For the Solly I prefer the black box, gunboats and zatoichi. This keeps me in the game longer than any other combo I've played.

As mentioned the Heavy with sandvich and FOS is ftw but I keep the stock minigun.

For Pyro my only change is the homewrecker. Most of my time as Pyro is spent defending engies and the ability to knock off sappers is just too usefull.

Demo is stock except for the zatoichi (that thing kills like the killiest thing there is :D )

Sniper I'll switch between razorback and jarate depending on the number/effectiveness of spies and wether we attack or defend, the only other change is the shiv. Bleed and jarate is ftw.

Engie I either play defensive with Hospitality or aggressive with the frontier justice and gunslinger.

Spy I'll switch it up depending on map and wether we defend or attack. Eternal reward/stock knife, dead ringer/ cloak n dagger.

The ability to buff team with the amputator is too usefull for me. It's the only change for me for medic.

Scout I rarely play but if i do the fish is a must. I just love the animation as it flops back and forth when I run (prolly why I die far too often as scout :P ). Also the shortstop and bonk make my team for this class.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is ... a heretic!

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 am

Sniper: Full crocostyling set, else Urine trouble and hard mode with the bushwacka
Scout: milkman set, swapping out milk for bonk drink if the situation calls for it.
Soldier: equalizer and occasionally the black box
Pyro: Hammer of Justice and flaregun
Engineer: Wrangling all the livelong day
Medic: kritzkrieg and yoopersaw
Spy: Oh god why am I playing spy?! I'm terrible no matter what I equip!
Heavy: Natty and sandvich and gundam gloves or GRU, depending on the map
DemoPAN
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am

Scout: I use the Special Delivery set almost all the time now, because of the HP boost. Then again, I play Scout in very limited situations (flag runs and kamikaze capping, mostly). If I play Scout to assassinate Medics or to go deep, I might grab either Bonk or a regular scattergun.

Soldier: Mostly standard. Direct Hit for the occasional SG destruction. Equalizer for flag running (though I'm trying to avoid it now so I can be nicer to Medics). I'd use the Batt Banner/Pain Train combo for cart pushes or capping if I needed to... except that someone else usually is.

Pyro: Standard flamethrower or Degreaser. Flamethrower when I need that extra killing power. Degreaser when I think I'll be relying more on the shotgun. If you see me using the Backburner it's probably a Spy. Melee runs the gamut, but for a serious game I'll be using the Homewrecker.

Demoman: Mostly standard. Melee with the katana, because... KATANA!

Heavy: I remained a shotgun user for a loooooooooooooooong time after the Sandwich came out. Two things changed that: The slight decrease in the spin-up time that came later, and the GRU. Now it's Sandwich and GRU. (Third thing would be that I can actually get pocket Medics now, so I help them in return.)

Engineer: I don't do this very often. I'm still torn between the Jag and the Gunslinger.

Medic: Entirely dependent on the situation. The one thing I don't really bother with is the standard syringe gun though. The increased self-healing doesn't seem to help me much since I'm usually mixed right in with things.

Sniper: Using the Sydney Sleeper removes any need to try to aim for the head. On the other hand, there are times that I would have actually killed someone had I been aiming for their head. In the end, I don't play Sniper anyway, so it's rather moot.

Spy: About the only odd thing I use is the Cloak and Dagger, for the one minute out of a hundred that I might play Spy.

--HaDeS--
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by --HaDeS-- » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for replying everyone, seeing all of these results are pretty interesting. I really thought that the sidegrades were used a lot less often by a majority of the players.
New York Rangers: Offseason

New York Giants: Offseason

The Warpath Cup 2011: Hades' Babies (2nd Place)
The Ville Cup '10: Hale's Angels (3rd Place)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 pm

I daresay most of the sidegrades are useless to/unused by the majority of players, it's just that which ones those are changes from one person to the next. Most players probably never used two thirds of items, but the third that does get used is varied. I don't know anybody who actually uses everything available, except for shennanigans. Some things just aren't any good for certain playstyles.

As a pyro in a real match, I use the axtinguisher, and never use any other melee weapon; they may as well not exist. Other pyro players are that way about some other specific unlock I don't use, and wouldn't dream of using a loadout like mine. Same is probably true for some users of every class and every item.
-Boss Llama