BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Bad Company 2: Vietnam thread

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 pm

So after playing about 4 or so hours heres my thoughts.

At first it was a sudden let-down. It is just the same guy except reskinned. Also, vietnam is separated from bad company 2. There are different weapons and no unlocks.

However, after a round or two you quickly realize why it is a separated entity. There seems to be some feel to Vietnam that isn't in Bad Company 2. I can't entirely explain it but without the unlocks the game limits the weapons and has these 4 new maps designed correctly. All four maps felt very different and were fun from each attack/defend. Overall, I feel this is how bad company two should have originally released.

Some major changes are the lack of large destructible buildings. However, there are plenty of shacks that bullets can just cut through. Also the no unlocks constrains (not restricts) weapons. Another major change is that the maps seem to focus players into close combat while also allowing snipers to stay in sniper areas. The bomb spots usually allow more cover so you don't have to worry about a building falling down or being sniped off. I also notice that it seems vehicles are much more powerful in weaponry but weaker in armor.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Bad Company 2: Vietnam thread

Post by Dirty Dan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Well that doesn't sound very appealing, the unlocks were a lot of what make it fun, as well as the destructability. I also don't like that you have to go to the "vietnam" section of the game to play 4 maps.

I feel like they made a really amazing game in terms of actual gameplay, but utterly failed in the menu design & game organization. I have similar frustrations with the Madden football series...

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Dirty Dan wrote:Well that doesn't sound very appealing, the unlocks were a lot of what make it fun, as well as the destructability. I also don't like that you have to go to the "vietnam" section of the game to play 4 maps.

I feel like they made a really amazing game in terms of actual gameplay, but utterly failed in the menu design & game organization. I have similar frustrations with the Madden football series...
Yes the game itself is very fun, but my god, everything else is terrible.

I mean a separate friends list with a 20 person limit, really?!

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:00 pm

The maps look great and I love the rusted, worn look of the weapons. Sound effects and music are also enjoyable, but I hate that there isn't an actual menu to choose a song when driving vehicles. I also love the loading screens and win/lose sequences. The news reporter adds a nice touch.

I do find it odd that they left out some notable weapons such as the LAW and the SKS. Also, some of the maps are near impossible for attackers to win (Vantage Point). I really hope they add smoke nades or some equivalent. I also disliked that if I choose assault, I had to take the M79. I would rather have the TNT...or smoke nades. It also seemed redundant for the recon classes to have both TNT and arty strikes.

But, I still enjoyed it a lot.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Tungsten wrote: It also seemed redundant for the recon classes to have both TNT and arty strikes.

But, I still enjoyed it a lot.
Yeah, I noticed that too. However I've had no problem with shutout games and steamrolls. All the maps have both choke points and flanks that are very essential for the attacks to win.

While I think the weaponry is great I really don't like the equipment setup. The RPG feels close to worthless with choppers being hard to hit and easily taken down by the medic. Sniper have TNT and arty, but won't ever really use TNT. I think it would help a bit if more classes had the choice of TNT, for example. Nade launcher or TNT. RPG, landmine, or TNT.

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 pm

My dad was curious about Vietnam, but after slashing his hardcopy of BC2, he really has no desire to play any war shooters anymore.
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:14 pm

So I got a question. With Vietnam being a mod and not exactly an addon, at what point do we go back to Bad Company 2?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Now.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar