If your post doesn't fit any other boards subject, then post it here
crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Anime Recomendations From an Old School Otaku

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm

This is for those of you who like anime. Crimson is old school otaku. I have been watching anime and reading manga since before you could buy it in chain stores. Before you could watch it on network TV. Heck we didn't even have torrents we had the public library instead. My favorite voice actress is Megumi Hayashibara. I always watch dubbed. I am into shonen and shojo. In case none of that made sense lets just say I'm hardcore 8)

I will be using this thread to put out a few recommendations and generaly discuss anime. So lets start off with the anime that got me started.

RANMA 1/2 (Rumiko Takahashi)
How to Enjoy: read the first 21 volumes of the manga for preference. The anime is watchable though and feature the voice of Megumi Hayashibara.
Description: The story of a teenage martial artist with some personal issues. His father is practically trying to sell him to the highest bidder. He has far to many rivals. He is also horribly cursed. Whenever he is splashed with cold water he becomes she. Hilarity ensues. A martial arts romantic comedy for the ages. My favourite character is Ryoga Hibiki Because he is a moron and its funny to watch him at it.

For those of you that download this next one is probably an exclusive. Due to issues with licensing this series is unlikely to ever hit American shelves and it is awesome.

Macross Frontier
How to enjoy: there is only an anime 25 episodes of awesome
Description: The latest series in the macross universe (robotech for you Americans) This series follows a colony ship as they search for an inhabitable planet. It is very similar to the original series in both overall story and basic character concepts. Frontier is however much better done and the characters are much more fun. My favorite character is Clan . Zentradi FTW :cooler:

So check out those two I will post more later. Maybe a good shojo manga next.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Anime Recomendations From an Old School Otaku

Post by Tungsten » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Bronze and I have been talking about anime and manga recently.

I never watched Ranma, but I did watch some Macross. I enjoy transforming jetbots. Also, the original action figure for the Transformer Jetfire was a Macross toy.

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:10 pm

You're welcome.
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Hmm...i haven't seen much anime lately. So I think I'll keep my eye on this topic as well.

Macross Frontier is on my list for ones i will watch in the near future though, so im pumped.
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Buzzy Beetle wrote:

You're welcome.
A total classic that series was nuts.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:49 am

Well I've been watching Dragon Ball Z Kai, I like the English voices better then the Japanese

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:11 am

I don't like anime, but I recently fell in love with Avatar: The last Airbender. Technically this is not an anime, and I think those few differences is why I still enjoy it. Although it does have some anime aspects that I do not like.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 am

I've seen dozens of series (prefer watching in Japanese with subtitles).

A few standouts:
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons)
Outlaw Star
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd Gig)
Cowboy Beebop
Hell Girl
Samurai Champloo

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 am

I expected more Code Geass.
I am disappointed in you guys.

I've watched a few older animes recently (2000-2005) which has a lot less fan service then most animes today.
It was defiantly a nice change. It is kind of sad how much anime now-a-days is all about fan service.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:46 am

High School Of The Dead is drawn by a rather popular H artist. This is the second time I have run into a series drawn by an H artist. Fan service has gotten much stronger in recent years.

I can definitely recommend some old school series for you. Although for me old school is more like 1990-2000.

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:14 am

I used to watch a ton of anime back in the day. I still like it but don't stay up on it like I used to. Some of my faves that come to mind off the top of my head are:

series/ova

-Basilisk
-Gunslinger Girl
-Desert Punk
-Tenchi(all of them from Tenchi Muyo!, Tenchi Universe, to Tenchi in Tokyo)
-Trigun
-Cowboy Beebop
-Samurai Champloo
-Trinity Blood
-Ghost in the Shell SAC
-Serial Experiments: Lain
-The Record of Lodoss War

feature length

-Cowboy Beebop the movie
-Akira(obviously)
-Ghost in the Shell
-Ninja Scroll
-Escaflowne
-anything from Miyazaki(My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, etc)
-Tenchi, the movie
-The Bubblegum Crisis

I'm sure there's a ton of others that I can't think of atm.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:27 am

Whoa! Stop the thread!

Did Trom just say he likes gunslinger girl?

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who ever liked that series. Even One Medic/twice the gun didn't like that series. It is really unfortunate that they stopped at volume 6 in America.

DrunkenTrom
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DrunkenTrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:41 am

crimsonshootingstar wrote:Whoa! Stop the thread!

Did Trom just say he likes gunslinger girl?

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who ever liked that series. Even One Medic/twice the gun didn't like that series. It is really unfortunate that they stopped at volume 6 in America.
Gunslinger Girl is one of my favorites! I was unaware that there was more than the initial 13 episodes released in America although I knew there was at least one follow up season released in Japan. Who wouldn't love a Japanese series based on half cyborg(kinda) little girl professional killers and their sometimes reluctant handlers, working for a government agency in communist Italy?!? I especially loved the use of classical music throughout the series, but the ending where the girls are all singing along while watching the meteor shower almost brought me to tears. The way they were still portrayed as little girls full of wonder and optimism and a love of life itself, even though they were all hardened murder machines was quite epic. I'm glad you share my strong conviction that this was a great timeless series. One of the best ever in my book!

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:54 am

the second series came out in America actually Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino. I was referring to the original work the manga witch has 6 volumes in America. I keep seeing the 7th on sale on amazon in German. Just to taunt me. I looked it up on wiki while posting this apparently there are plans to continue putting it out in America. Now if someone would just carry Geobreeders beyond volume 5.

trunicated
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by trunicated » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 am

Man, I used to watch so much anime... My favorite all time series is Fullmetal Alchemist. I've tried to watch Brotherhood, but the only time I've found to really get into it is at work. However, I'll be moving to the city here in a few weeks, and will only be with a laptop at night, so in lieu of games, I may just finish out this series on Hulu.

I also watched Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal PANIC!, Evangelion, Great Teacher Onizuka (This is a close #2 behind FMA. I own all the manga)... and tons of others that I can't remember right now, because I haven't seen them in ~10 years.

I also used to edit manga scanlations for a few series for Anime Empire. If you ever see anything by "sprayer[one]", that was me :-)
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."