Nice Advanced Soldier Guide I found

A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Nice Advanced Soldier Guide I found

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:13 pm

I found this guide to be extremely helpful.

When I say advanced I mean he'll skip the basics and move onto airshotting very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI29xEnfTzI

Part 2: The Soldier Update unlocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYC0zYUUB_A

Part 3: The Polycount update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhG9AP4oZKE
Last edited by Guardian on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Nice Advanced Soldier Guide I found

Post by El_Hefe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:42 pm

but whats that cl_interp thingy... :?

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Ya that was the one part that flew over my head.

My guess is it has something to do with the delay between when you fire and where the rocket comes out... bah I don't really care. Whatever delay I have, I can work with.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:41 pm

That's a really well done video. I wish they were all produced that well.

A lot of that stuff is pretty common sense really, but a few things I didn't think of. It also helps to see those skills done better than I'm able to do them, too. Thanks for the link.

Makes me wanna play, but I have to go check out apartments :(

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by NoahTheBoa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 pm

I haven't played soldier for a long time, time to practice. :)

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Very good guide, thanks. Now I have some tips on how to improve my game. Have wanted to learn how to do "arials" for some time but i'm usually too concerned about not being an asset to the team by constantly missing targets.
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 pm

One more I should add since the guide glanced over it quickly.

You can use rocket jumps to get to mid quickly and secure a better position if you have a good medic healing you using those rocket jumps in the glide that propel you forward the fastest.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 pm

[quote="Buzzy Beetle";p="186876"]Very good guide, thanks. Now I have some tips on how to improve my game. Have wanted to learn how to do "arials" for some time but i'm usually too concerned about not being an asset to the team by constantly missing targets.[/quote]

That's a nice spirit, but you also have to put in time to get better in the long run, which helps your team too. Trying to improve as long as you're still trying to be a good team mate is just as good or better than actual results in my book.

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

It was an interesting guide. It combined competitive tips with casual tips... but all of the footage was on a public server. It won't help if you're interesting in being competitive - and it was too competitive geared to provide major relevant methods of improvement for casuals. I wouldn't recommend taking more than small tips from it.

Here's a few things you should forget and never do:
Avoid the tr_airshot map (unless you find it fun). Doesn't help.
Don't spend hours on the jumping bot map. It's only slightly helpful.
There is never an instance in which the shovel is useful. Avoid using it.
You should never 'body block' an uber. You will die and leave the team a man down.
You should never, ever call air shots aerials. People will give you funny looks.

Here's a few things to remember:
Combo the shotgun and rocket launcher for some skeet shooting.
Switch to the shotgun after hitting a direct rocket on a scout. Always.

Here's all you need to know to improve soldier:
Play a lot and have passion for the class. Admit your weaknesses and challenge stronger players.

Attempt at least one airshot whenever a jumping player presents himself. It's the only way to improve.

Most rocket jumps are done off of a wall rather than the floor - rocket jump off a wall for distance, the floor for height.

Get a rocket jump .script. Once you start jumping off of walls, you will appreciate how much finger strain is involved in hitting duck while doing it. Don't use that .script as a replacement for manual jumps.

Use the shotgun a lot. If someone is weak, a single long-ranged shotgun can take them out of the fight.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:24 pm

[quote="Nick Mame";p="186883"]There is never an instance in which the shovel is useful. Avoid using it.[/quote]

Melee is always useful. You've never been in someones face with no more rockets or shells? A quick and easy swipe for 40-50 damage is always good if they're in range.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 pm

lol venture bros

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:17 pm

[quote="Nick Mame";p="186883"]
Blah
[/quote]

Now that I'm up to 60 hours in solly (yes, I am sad) and will likely never do anything compeitive:

What do you mean by an airshot, shooting at them with a rocket while they're in the air, with the shotgun? Shooting at them while you're in the air?

If you find yourself in front of a demo or solly uber, then best course of action is? I am guess you'll say rocket jump out of the way and try to either knock them up with a rocket, or wait, then kill the medic when it ends?

I never really see anyone use walls to rocket jump for distance. Mostly I've been trying to propel myself forward with an angled rocket while facing the opposite way I want to go, still needs lots of refining. What do you do, aim low/angled? I guess years of bunny hopping in CS/S has led me to never worry about being able to constantly crouch-jump for fear of fatiguing my hands.

I assume rather than shovel you're suggesting it's better to reload your rocket? The only time I shovel now is if I find myself ubered and out of ammo next to a sentry gun (happens all the time on TV8 . . .) or it's melee-only.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm

[quote="TheCarpe";p="186889"][quote="Nick Mame";p="186883"]There is never an instance in which the shovel is useful. Avoid using it.[/quote]

Melee is always useful. You've never been in someones face with no more rockets or shells? A quick and easy swipe for 40-50 damage is always good if they're in range.[/quote]

Melee is only useful with crits on.

As a soldier you are better off reloading a round in either gun than shoveling.

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by sgt stutter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 pm

[quote="El_Hefe";p="186836"]but whats that cl_interp thingy... :?[/quote]

These explinations are from other sites/fourms not from me. :wink:
by Destination

Cl_interp interpolates object positions starting x seconds in the past. For example, the default cl_interp value interpolates object positions starting 100 milliseconds (.1 seconds) in the past, when your client is receiving 33 updates a second (1 / 33 = .03 seconds per update) this allows your client to receive 3 new complete updates (.1 seconds / .03 = 3.3 updates) in 100 milliseconds. In comparison, a 66 millisecond time frame would only allow 2 complete updates (.066 seconds / .03 = 2.2 updates), and a 33 millisecond time frame would obviously only allow 1 complete update (.033 seconds / .03 = 1.1). Basically the value of cl_interp is directly proportional to the the amount of updates received for interpolation, and doubling the time of cl_interp will have the same effect on the amount of updates used for interpolation as doubling the rate updates are received, assuming the rate can be doubled.

The default cl_interp value will work fine in most situations, but the problem is that it is not optimal for most situations and a better value could give you better results. The default cl_interp value (0.1) was designed to be optimal when your client is receiving 20 updates a second, which is coincidently the default value for cl_updaterate. When your client is receiving 20 updates a second your client will receive a new update every 50 milliseconds (.05 seconds), and with the default cl_interp value being 100 milliseconds (0.1 seconds) the client render time is shifted back to the exact time it takes your client to receive 2 updates, so this allows 2 updates to be used for interpolation. The advantage of using 2 updates is that your client does not need to receive both updates for interpolation, even if one update is lost, there will always be two valid updates to interpolate between. The problem with using a cl_interp value equal to the time it takes your client to only receive one update, is that if that update is lost your client has nothing to use for interpolation until it receives the next update.

However their is also a problem with using a cl_interp value that is set too high, the higher the cl_interp value the more the client render time is shifted back. This means if a player moves around a corner, the higher the cl_interp value the later they will be rendered on your client. This is because cl_interp is designed to interpolate object positions starting x (cl_interp value) seconds in past like I explained earlier, so the later interpolation starts the later objects will be rendered on your client. Using the values from my example, your client has time to receive 3 complete updates for interpolation with the default cl_interp value when your client is receiving 33 updates a second. If you adjust your cl_interp value to the time it takes for your client to receive only 2 updates, the value would be around .06 seconds (2 * 1/33). Now compared to the default cl_interp value of 100 milliseconds, object positions on your client will only be rendered 60 milliseconds in the past, this means object positions on your client will be more up to date, and since this is the exact time it takes for your client to receive two updates this value is still high enough to allow accurate interpolation even if an update is lost.
EGN TF2 servers currently run 66 tick and cl_interp 0.1
valve's default cl_interp_ratio is 2 (meaning the effective value of cl_interp is multiplied by 2)
i think most people will know that a lower interp value is preferable because it leaves less margin for error in the predictions, therefore giving better rego to those with low ping. because the vast majority of players on EGN WA TF2 servers seem to have ping of around 30 id like to see it lowered to 0.017.

before we start id like to link people to a brief explanation of cl_interp for their reference incase what im saying doesnt make sense. (see above)

ok so 66 tick server = 66 updates per second = 0.015 seconds per update (or 1 update every 0.015 seconds).
when cl_interp is set at 0.1 the server will begin interpolating objects 0.1 seconds in the past. at 66 updates per second you will get 6.6 updates in that 0.1 seconds, which means you are constantly getting 6.6 interpolated updates (lets call them predictions to make it easier to understand).
you only need 1 prediction to achieve the effect of cl_interp, but as 1 packet may be lost it is generally preferable to have 2 so that if one interp packet is lost you will still get the interp effect.

so.
the formula for finding optimum cl_interp is
2(1/x) = y
where x is the number of updates the client is receiving per second and y is the optimum cl_interp value.

now.
as EGN run 66 tick servers x becomes 66, thus the optimum cl_interp value is 0.03.

however valve have a default cl_interp_ratio of 2, which doubles the effective value of cl_interp. thus to achieve an effective cl_interp 0.03 when cl_interp_ratio is 2, cl_interp needs to be 0.015.

i have suggested 0.017 be used for 2 reasons. firstly because these values cover for slight drops in update rate due to frame rate loss or server lag, and secondly cos valve decided on the values 0.017 and 0.034 for CS:S rather than 0.015 and 0.03, most likely for the reason stated above.

even someone running the minimum cl_updaterate of 45 will still receive about 1.5 interpolated packets. this will not wreck the rego for these people but it will mean that taking the time to change their rates will most likely result in better rego.

cheers

chali
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I did some damage on pipeline as soldier today...now if only I got similar results after watching spy guides...