Single Shot, Full Auto or Burst?

A place to discuss all things to do with Insurgency
goooooller
Villun
Villun

Single Shot, Full Auto or Burst?

Post by goooooller » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:24 pm

i love single shot on ak, never ever use it on full auto.

any other guns i use burst (m16) or full auto.

what about you guys?
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/147836_random.png[/img]
Come find me and try to kill me!

Trinith
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Trinith » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:43 am

Always full auto when the option is available. I can do single shot manually, but sometimes I like to fire in bursts. I like having control over it myself.

Except on the m16, then I use single shot 'cause forced burst is dumb :D

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 am

I dont like forced burst. I burst fire on a full auto weapon already, but it last about a 1/4 to 1/2 second longer than the forced auto options.

Otherwise semiauto is nice as well :) and I love bolt action
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

HarryMckay
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Re: Single Shot, Full Auto or Burst?

Post by HarryMckay » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 am

I always switch to single-shot for the rifles. And I *love* the AK on single.

Sometimes, if I know there's a bunch of enemies at close range, I'll switch back to automatic. Spraying a group inside a room, for example.

As for triple burst... For weapons that have a high cyclical rate, like the H&K caseless G-11, it makes sense to fire three-round bursts. All three rounds have left the barrel before the recoil hits, so all three rounds hit in almost the same area. 50-round mags give you an extended firing period, even with three-round bursts.

But with the M-16, or at least the version modeled (M-16A4?) it's like firing full-auto, without the continuous fire. The three rounds almost never hit anywhere near each other, and even the initial shot seems to miss half the time. And with only 30-round mags, or ten three-round bursts, you run out of ammo far too quickly. From what I've heard, most professional soldiers are quite easily capable of firing three-round bursts with a fully-automatic weapon, and it's only the green troops that have problems with trigger-control, wasting their ammo.

I just wish that you could choose your auto/burst/single preferences for individual weapons in the options, rather than a global setting.
Cat: Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!
Kryten: There's no such thing as a brown alert, sir.
Cat: You won't be saying that in a minute!

[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/134556_random.png[/img]

X.O.Skeleton
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by X.O.Skeleton » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 am

full auto is for me
If needed in close I can empty the clip in the few enemies there
I can do bursts on that also
that burts stuff is poopy in my oppinion so I like the single over that
Crafted by Betteh

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 am

AK-74U on full auto for me.
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Single shot.

Always.

Since it's the RPG.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 pm

[quote="Clay Pigeon";p="137677"]Single shot.

Always.

Since it's the RPG.[/quote]Image
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Mongo
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Mongo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Always full auto when it's available. Of course at longer ranges it's easy to just fire one round at a time but I never know when someone might pop out in front of me. I also agree that the burst fire on the m16 is pretty stupid. I know that's how it is IRL so that's why it's like that in the game, but I think it's pretty stupid IRL.

It's really annoying when you people who like semi auto die and I pickup your weapon then get killed because I pull the trigger expecting a burst of fire and only one bullet comes out.
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/155520_random.png[/img]

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:17 pm

[quote="Mongo";p="137693"]

It's really annoying when you people who like semi auto die and I pickup your weapon then get killed because I pull the trigger expecting a burst of fire and only one bullet comes out.[/quote]

Especially if it is a SAW or RPK...
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:23 am

I've been playing more with the SKS lately. It's brutal! :twisted:

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:36 am

[quote="HarryMckay";p="137535"]
But with the M-16, or at least the version modeled (M-16A4?) it's like firing full-auto, without the continuous fire. The three rounds almost never hit anywhere near each other, and even the initial shot seems to miss half the time. And with only 30-round mags, or ten three-round bursts, you run out of ammo far too quickly. From what I've heard, most professional soldiers are quite easily capable of firing three-round bursts with a fully-automatic weapon, and it's only the green troops that have problems with trigger-control, wasting their ammo.

I just wish that you could choose your auto/burst/single preferences for individual weapons in the options, rather than a global setting.[/quote]

It's the M-16A2, and yeah it pisses me off too. I think if I got issued one of those, I would start looking for an AK on the battlefield.

From the land of wikipedia:

"The action was also modified, replacing the fully-automatic setting with a three-round burst setting.[2] When using a fully-automatic weapon, poorly trained troops often hold down the trigger and "spray" when under fire. The U.S. Army concluded that three-shot groups provide an optimum combination of ammunition conservation, accuracy and firepower. There are mechanical flaws in the M16A2 burst mechanism. The trigger group does not reset when the trigger is released. If the user releases the trigger between the second and third round of the burst, for example, the next trigger pull would only result in a single shot. Even in semi-automatic mode, the trigger group mechanism affects weapon handling. With each round fired, the trigger group cycles through one of the three stages of the burst mechanism. Worse, the trigger pull at each of these stages may vary as much as 6 lbf (27 N) in pressure differential, detracting from accuracy."

I thought it was a game bug, but now I know why my INS M-16A2 only shoots one round on burst mode sometimes. Realism.

Leper
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Leper » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:55 am

Full auto, oh yes. That allows for manual burst fire, and -with practice- even single shots. Most of the time I prefer to fire in short bursts, but quite often someone will appear from seemingly out of nowhere & that's when the full auto comes into use. At range, bursts and single shots are great. Up close, even the split second delay in fire can be the difference between looking for the next target or ending up as a stain on the wall. Which is why I really don't like the M16.
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/149705_random.png[/img]
Quit callin' me LEEPer.

MMX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MMX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:11 pm

[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="137792"][quote="HarryMckay";p="137535"]

I just wish that you could choose your auto/burst/single preferences for individual weapons in the options, rather than a global setting.[/quote]

It's the M-16A2, and yeah it pisses me off too. I think if I got issued one of those, I would start looking for an AK on the battlefield.

"The action was also modified, replacing the fully-automatic setting with a three-round burst setting.[2] When using a fully-automatic weapon, poorly trained troops often hold down the trigger and "spray" when under fire. The U.S. Army concluded that three-shot groups provide an optimum combination of ammunition conservation, accuracy and firepower. There are mechanical flaws in the M16A2 burst mechanism. The trigger group does not reset when the trigger is released. If the user releases the trigger between the second and third round of the burst, for example, the next trigger pull would only result in a single shot. Even in semi-automatic mode, the trigger group mechanism affects weapon handling. With each round fired, the trigger group cycles through one of the three stages of the burst mechanism. Worse, the trigger pull at each of these stages may vary as much as 6 lbf (27 N) in pressure differential, detracting from accuracy."

I thought it was a game bug, but now I know why my INS M-16A2 only shoots one round on burst mode sometimes. Realism.[/quote]

wow that is an awesome find. I also thought its a game bug. but this way its pretty clear why the gun is acting that way. Thanks for clarification DOW :)
[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/monorail_sig.jpg[/img]
- [url=http://tinyurl.com/ykkat36]Mechanical Mathematics Xenomorph[/url]
- local time zone: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Time]CET[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+1), [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time]DST[/url]: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEST]CEST[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+2)
- Signatures: [url=http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/dodcup08/vov_sig_mmx.png]TheVille DoD Cup '08[/url]

HarryMckay
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by HarryMckay » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:28 pm

[quote="DeafOfficeWorker";p="137792"][quote="HarryMckay";p="137535"]

I thought it was a game bug, but now I know why my INS M-16A2 only shoots one round on burst mode sometimes. Realism.[/quote]

Back in the 80s, when I was a kid reading Mack Bolan and Able Team by Don Pendleton (Yeah, my folks were really happy about me reading that stuff :P) all their talk about trigger-control and three-round bursts really made an impression on me. I thought it was pretty cool how the armorer in those books modified practically every weapon they used to fire three-round bursts rather than full auto. I was even more impressed when I found out that the Canadian army used the C1, a modified M16 that fire three-round bursts instead of full auto.

Then I later found out about cyclical rates, and realized it wasn't as effective as the books made it out to be. Seriously, the US and German Armies really screwed the pooch by not using the G-11, and nearly driving H&K to bankruptcy. But I guess they have to deal with the low-quality of recruits who'd have found it difficult to maintain a complex weapon in the field...

It is cool though that the game is so realistic about the action of the triple-shot "feature." I know the game is frustratingly accurate on gun jams, having had the AKSU-74 jam after firing only 3 single shots. I just wish there was a control to clear the action, rather than having to switch to the pistol or grenade, and then back, to clear it.
Last edited by HarryMckay on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat: Forget red - let's go all the way up to brown alert!
Kryten: There's no such thing as a brown alert, sir.
Cat: You won't be saying that in a minute!

[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/134556_random.png[/img]