It's alive!

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

It's alive!

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Its officially out on steam! It's $30 and its downloading right now for me.

Store Page

Hit me up on steam if you want to link up for some excellent (BUGGY) zombie action.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: It's alive!

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm

I really do not recommend purchasing it. It costs more than Rocket said it would and it is in a near unplayable state. Think of the worst console port mixed in with all the bad things from arma engine.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Um... I have no idea why Biker hates it so much... it seems to run just fine for me, with major improvements over the mod, lots of settings to mess with. It's worth the buy if you were a fan of the early days. The environment is truly scary, and there's that element of exploration with the new addiditons to the map. In the course of 4 hours I only saw one player with a firearm. Food was hard to find. Fresh water was even more scarce. It's smoother and it plays well, no real game-breaking bugs. only problem is the people. Right now it plays like the early days of the mod: most everyone is friendly, people only kill each other if they're threatened or in dire straights. I predict that things will get progressively worse over the course of the week, as the kill-on-sight kiddies are able to get their parents to purchase the game. Until then: 8/10

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I have tons of issues.

First off, Rocket said they'll be doing the minecraft model. He said the game would start cheap and end up being no more than $30 at full price. The game is $29.99 right now.

You still have all the bad stuff from the arma such as clunky movement in buildings and middle mouse button menu trying to do everything, you guys know what I'm talking about, when you're trying to open items but it keeps wanting to close the door.

You have to worry about stuff like hunger, thirst, and warmth. You don't have any indications anymore. You know have these annoying text messages constantly saying stuff like "I'm shivering" "I'm hungry" "I'm thirsty" "I'm becoming dehydrated" "My clothes have blood on them" "My clothes are drenched in blood". And for cold, your breath starts blocking your screen. I've worked in industrial freezers and my breathe never impaired my vision.

They also still have global chat, I tried several servers and global chat is still there, I assume it's server controlled, but why have it at all?!?!?!

Zombies aren't very common, but that is acceptable since it's alpha and they are working on that.

Going through the menus, it keeps saying A and B EVERYWHERE. For being a PC game, why do they want me to play with an Xbox controller?

It's too easy to die but takes forever. I got into a fight with a zombie and all I had was a hammer. Luckily, hitting him over the head would knock him down. We did this dance for about 3 minutes, I hit him, he falls, he stands, I hit him. He finally died, the corpse instantly disappears. It did hit me once, and of course, I started bleeding. In this ultra real world where you have to eat and drink every 5 minutes, I started spraying blood everywhere. I spent the next 20 or so minutes searching houses for bandages. Finally, I passed out. Now I've been on this black screen bitching on teamspeak and now typing this for about 12 minutes. There is that suicide / respawn button.

I thought the mouse configurations were really out of whack, turns out the crosshair just moves all over the place.

Sorry for the organization, but here's some screenshots:

Still has brightness contrast controls so you can make nearly pitch black nights pointless. Also, never look downwind, your breath will block a good portion of your vision
VIEW CONTENT:
This guy was standing next to me when I spawned. He was already bleeding. He had a screwdriver in his bag. So I took it. Sat there about 3-5 minutes prodding him with the screwdriver, nothing happened.
VIEW CONTENT:

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 pm

You complain a lot man. As for the other half of that, I haven't had problems. I think you might need to reinstall.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:53 am

And this is why developers releasing Alpha/Beta software for money is a terrible idea and needs to stop. It's a practice that never should have started. Alpha software should never see the light of day. It's internal only. Period. Beta software can be released in a limited fashion to people who know what they are doing.

Could you imagine the poopstorm if Microsoft started releasing alpha versions of Windows and charging full price? No software should do it regardless of its function. It's asinine.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am

frostdillicus wrote:And this is why developers releasing Alpha/Beta software for money is a terrible idea and needs to stop. It's a practice that never should have started. Alpha software should never see the light of day. It's internal only. Period. Beta software can be released in a limited fashion to people who know what they are doing.

Could you imagine the poopstorm if Microsoft started releasing alpha versions of Windows and charging full price? No software should do it regardless of its function. It's asinine.
Fully agreed. In all seriousness, Minecraft's model really damaged gaming long-term release model (Minecraft was much more playable than most of these betas though).
I am the 1%!

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 am

I agree to an extent... If games like this have a controlled release, into a population which understands that what they are playing is not a finished product, then it's ok.

Right now, the bugs are pretty rampant. Passing out = Death, your character complains of exhaustion, then falls over dead. Me and a few friends ran into a pretty hilarious Bug last night.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:41 am

Soup Nazi wrote:I agree to an extent... If games like this have a controlled release, into a population which understands that what they are playing is not a finished product, then it's ok.
No, it's not ok. You assume people understand what beta means. They don't. Most people see the word beta and think, "Oh look! A Demo!" These release model only reinforces that idea and needs to stop.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 pm

frostdillicus wrote:
Soup Nazi wrote:I agree to an extent... If games like this have a controlled release, into a population which understands that what they are playing is not a finished product, then it's ok.
No, it's not ok. You assume people understand what beta means. They don't. Most people see the word beta and think, "Oh look! A Demo!" These release model only reinforces that idea and needs to stop.
Personally I think that is a problem with the community rather than the games themselves, but to each their own. I'm happy to help.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Soup Nazi wrote: Personally I think that is a problem with the community rather than the games themselves, but to each their own. I'm happy to help.
Pretty much this. I don't really have a problem with early access as an idea or means for devs to actually make their game a reality. I like to think that if someone wants to pay some money to help test the game and give feed back then more power to them. Problem is though, like Frostd says, a large number of people don't understand what it is. To me, early access is not all that different from Kickstarter, you are basically gambling some money on the hopes that a game becomes a reality.

What confuses me though, is that DayZ is hella popular. I'd think a publisher or someone with money would have been willing to invest in the game due to it's popularity and knowing that they would make their money back.

Greebo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Greebo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:03 pm

frostdillicus wrote:Could you imagine the poopstorm if Microsoft started releasing alpha versions of Windows and charging full price? No software should do it regardless of its function.
<Insert snarky comment here>

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Except a very small subset of individuals who buy these beta games actually ever provide their feedback to the developer.

Betas should only be in the hands of people who understand what the point of a beta test is. This is why almost every major software company in the world doesn't just willy nilly release betas. They have a group of individuals in the industry who they trust to put the software through its paces and provide FEEDBACK.

This doesn't happen with most of these games. People whine about bugs, give no steps to reproducing them, then badmouth the game on forums until nobody is willing to buy it.