Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

DayZ Standalone Hype Train

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Is It Coming? Will You Play It?
Post your predictions, reservations, exclamations and defecations anything else relevant!

Personally I am totally buying it, and would love to roll with a bunch of you and play like back in the day: assume friendly, help others, survive.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: DayZ Standalone Hype Train

Post by M's » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 am

I would love to see it come to fruition; gets lonely running around looting and killing Z's on an empty server.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

Probably depends on how fixed the game is. I think most of my problems were more so with ARMA than the mod. But my limited experience with DayZ always felt like I was fighting bugs, and terrible UI issues. It'd be nice if the inventory system wasn't so wonky and a little easier to manage. I haven't followed the development of the stand alone version, so maybe this stuff will be addressed.

I love the idea behind the game, being a more challenging survival game. But, I'd like that to be the challenge rather than fighting bugs and terrible inventory systems.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 am

I'll admit, I always enjoyed reading y'alls posts about playing the game more than actually playing it myself. Along the lines of what Chef said, it just didn't feel like a "smooth" experience to me. Hopefully they've fixed that.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:30 pm

MasterChef wrote:But, I'd like that to be the challenge rather than fighting bugs and terrible inventory systems.
People really don't understand the reasoning to this. ArmA is a military simulator. ArmA is fully modable. This resulted in tons of problems for players. People made competitive multiplayer games that do all sorts of stuff.

Anyways, DayZ standalone is being created on a breakoff engine. UI is completely redone, it'll be like minecraft with a drag and drop inventory and a hotbar. The entire networking backend is being redone, which is why it is taking so long. With the ArmA engine, the client knows everything and it is easy to hack. Rocket is trying to limit the client's knowledge (like most MMOs) so hacking is minimized and the game can actually succeed as a competitive multiplayer game.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am

Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 am

Flash wrote:I'll admit, I always enjoyed reading y'alls posts about playing the game more than actually playing it myself. Along the lines of what Chef said, it just didn't feel like a "smooth" experience to me. Hopefully they've fixed that.
I have to say I genuinely lol'd multiple times reading everyone's posts on playing the game. A famous quote comes to mind.."Tragedy is when you stub your toe, comedy is watching someone else fall through an open manhole".

I want to play this game badly, but I'm not going anywhere near it until the bugs are worked out. I'm absolutely done playing bug riddled games. Never again.

Once it comes out I'll wait a month or two and see how it is.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 am

The bugs are not nearly as insurmountable as you make them seem. You simply need to know the limits of the game and what will happen if you violate those limits, just like any other game. It just takes some getting used to, I honestly can't remember the last time I cursed the game engine or inventory system for something bad happening. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's not as broken and unplayable as you seem to think it is. Every game has a learning curve, after all, and Day Z was never designed as a game to hold to a players hand. While the standalone may be a bit more streamlined, I have no reason to believe it will be any less unforgiving.

That said, once you do learn the games limits and figure out the many commands and quirks, it's unlike anything I've ever played and I love it for that. Having a great group of people to play with also helps immensely.

Language warning:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 am

Operation Wheres Waldo was a success.

Carpes Twitch is full of golden moments, but full of adult language and mild nudity. Viewer Discretion is advised.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:58 am

I'm thinking that the hype train's high hopes are going to be crushed on release, and that the game will never have the sort of player interaction that was held when the mod was brand new. Kids will shoot on sight, veterans have been conditioned to do so out of safety, and zombies will once again incap you from the other side of a wall. I say about 2 months in, everything will be playable and the hype behind it will diminish, leaving an enjoyable game with only minor bugs.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't want my hand held and I don't mind a learning curve where you have to put time in before you start getting anywhere. But I'm increasingly unforgiving of inconsistency within the framework of a game.

If a tent, for instance has a limit on what you can put in it that's fine. What's not fine is if it spits out additional items in a random direction away from the player.

"Keep a close eye on backpack space. Trying to put more in it than can fit is a great way to delete items."

I wonder who said that? :) *cough* Carpe *cough*

It sounds like they are taking their time. I'm hopeful.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 am

bluntspoon wrote:I don't want my hand held and I don't mind a learning curve where you have to put time in before you start getting anywhere. But I'm increasingly unforgiving of inconsistency within the framework of a game.

If a tent, for instance has a limit on what you can put in it that's fine. What's not fine is if it spits out additional items in a random direction away from the player.

"Keep a close eye on backpack space. Trying to put more in it than can fit is a great way to delete items."

I wonder who said that? :) *cough* Carpe *cough*

It sounds like they are taking their time. I'm hopeful.
They at least fixed that bit, there's a counter on top of each type of inventory telling you how much space you have left.