Nighttime?

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Nighttime?

Post by M's » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 am

Is there a way to coordinate the night and day times with the server.
Seems weird playing at 8:30 AM CST/VST and the game is at 4:00 AM.
But at least in the dark it's easier to escape the Zombies.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Nighttime?

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 am

The server should be in "always daytime" mode, as randoms (as a rule) will simply NOT play any server at night. Basically, the server resets itself every 8 hours, and begins at dawn each time. I'm not 100% sure where 8:30AM CST is on that cycle these days (since it starts counting again when I do manual resets) but if it was 4am, it must have been immediately after a reset.

It is possible to turn that off and have it run a full 24 hour cycle, but given that you can't see more than about 2 feet for many hours of real-time on end without NVGs or copious usage of flares/glowsticks/flashlights, most people don't find it fun. I've played a little bit in the waning hours of days where it's after dark, and let me tell you - it's not fake night like a lot of games... it's the pitch utter blackness of the wilderness, where you can be running in to something and not able to see what it is.

I've thought about trying to do a "night time" event of some sort for Ville DayZ players, but there isn't an easy admin interface to micro-regulate conditions - it's kind of a system where you use a web client to paint broad strokes with a sledge hammer. Still, tempting...
-Boss Llama

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Nighttime?

Post by M's » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:07 am

The 8:30 time was my actual time, the 4:30 was the game time according to my game watch.
And like you say, its like trying to drive while looking through a cup of dark coffee.
And it does hamper the playability if you're not familiar with the layout of the cities and roads.