Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: To the owner of the light brown jeep

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm

destroying my camp means you actively sought it out, as there is no reason to be near me, I respond in kind.
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 am

Well, this jeep is now mine. I shall look after it. :lol:

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 am

Alizée Fan wrote:Regardless of what DayZ Commander says, nameplates are not on, nor are tracers. It changes moods about what it thinks we have every time it launches
VIEW CONTENT:
Stealing everything you can carry makes complete sense and I endorse it, but wantonly running over and destroying everything you find no matter where or what it is is not just self-protection - it's simply trying to hurt others. It's your right to play that way of course, but don't kid yourself that you aren't doing it to ruin other peoples' game. A tent full of food and spare car parts is not a threat, and plenty of folks go zombie hunting with high-grade gear. One doesn't have to be on a co-op server to not be a psychopath.
I am honestly disappointed in that statement, I thought you fancied strategy based games. I see Day Z as no different. Leaving a player near my base armed and capable of attacking me is in no way helping my character achieve longevity. Dismantling and disarming your foe is generally the route taken in Day Z, and hell, there isn't even any senseless killing involved with that method. However, it is just that, the start of a method. We usually then tank trap / barb wire nearby towns to that base in order to deter that player from sticking around. You and I are probably going to see this very differently, but rest assured there is absolutely justification in removing threats from around my base in game. In some cases a simple car tire gets a vehicle moving in my vicinity, a can of beans saves the player from starving. I have already swept several bases on the server and inventoried them all. I am aware what each base is capable of and dealt with virtually none of them. (boy i could of sent a lot of you back to the stone age) but I changed my habits because it IS a Ville server, and I did not want to be "that guy" so soon. However I think I have made it perfectly clear, there are a few bases exceptionally close to the "Bandit Camp" and they will be eradicated.
That said, you've always been honest that you play that way, and there are lots of others who do as well. I'll be happy to return fire as good as I get, along with everybody else I can find who doesn't like that playstyle :-D
In order for there to be a protagonist, you gotta have an antagonist. I am happy to fill those shoes in Day Z.

Game on.

p.s. Keyes showed me his base when I was in friendly mode, so if anyone messes with your crap don't look at me, I do have some standards.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:19 am

BETTEH wrote: I am honestly disappointed in that statement, I thought you fancied strategy based games. I see Day Z as no different. Leaving a player near my base armed and capable of attacking me is in no way helping my character achieve longevity. Dismantling and disarming your foe is generally the route taken in Day Z, and hell, there isn't even any senseless killing involved with that method. However, it is just that, the start of a method. We usually then tank trap / barb wire nearby towns to that base in order to deter that player from sticking around. You and I are probably going to see this very differently, but rest assured there is absolutely justification in removing threats from around my base in game. In some cases a simple car tire gets a vehicle moving in my vicinity, a can of beans saves the player from starving. I have already swept several bases on the server and inventoried them all. I am aware what each base is capable of and dealt with virtually none of them. (boy i could of sent a lot of you back to the stone age) but I changed my habits because it IS a Ville server, and I did not want to be "that guy" so soon. However I think I have made it perfectly clear, there are a few bases exceptionally close to the "Bandit Camp" and they will be eradicated.
I don't think of this as a strategy game, I think of it as a simulation. I don't view other players as my enemies, I merely view them as fellow humans in a bad place. In real life, I would under no circumstance wantonly destroy things and murder people, and I try to play DayZ the way I would if it were real life - being cautious, helping people if they're in need, and only using force to protect myself from imminent threats to my survival. Playing as a strategy game, absolutely I'd do everything you talk about, but the fact that this isn't just some FPS where you run around and shoot things is a big selling point for me.
-Boss Llama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I don't think of this as a strategy game, I think of it as a simulation. I don't view other players as my enemies, I merely view them as fellow humans in a bad place. In real life, I would under no circumstance wantonly destroy things and murder people, and I try to play DayZ the way I would if it were real life - being cautious, helping people if they're in need, and only using force to protect myself from imminent threats to my survival. Playing as a strategy game, absolutely I'd do everything you talk about, but the fact that this isn't just some FPS where you run around and shoot things is a big selling point for me.
Ugh, I hate when people compare games to real life, or want games more realistic. In video games we have no situational awareness (can't tell where our feet are), we can log off, no life like perception, and most importantly, no fear of death.

Marf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I don't think of this as a strategy game, I think of it as a simulation. I don't view other players as my enemies, I merely view them as fellow humans in a bad place. In real life, I would under no circumstance wantonly destroy things and murder people, and I try to play DayZ the way I would if it were real life - being cautious, helping people if they're in need, and only using force to protect myself from imminent threats to my survival. Playing as a strategy game, absolutely I'd do everything you talk about, but the fact that this isn't just some FPS where you run around and shoot things is a big selling point for me.
Here's the problem with the simulation thing. It isn't a perfect simulation. Being able to respawn changes the simulation. It reduces the penalty of death and reduces the guilt on the murderer. There's also the threat of retaliation from someone you've "killed".

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

Alizée Fan wrote:
I don't think of this as a strategy game, I think of it as a simulation. I don't view other players as my enemies, I merely view them as fellow humans in a bad place. In real life, I would under no circumstance wantonly destroy things and murder people, and I try to play DayZ the way I would if it were real life - being cautious, helping people if they're in need, and only using force to protect myself from imminent threats to my survival. Playing as a strategy game, absolutely I'd do everything you talk about, but the fact that this isn't just some FPS where you run around and shoot things is a big selling point for me.
The problem is, once you've played this game 5 hours or so (depending on general vid'ja game skill) the environment is no longer much of a threat. I've put at least 100 hours into this game, I could survive in the middle of Cherno with a hatchet and one hand tied behind my back. The huge majority of players will very quickly get to the point where they understand the "rules" of the game (including all its glitchy glory), once that happens there's nothing else to keep it interesting outside the tension of other players and PvP.

It's easy to say "well I wouldn't be a bandit in real life" and that's fine, in real life you couldn't mow down a hoard of zombies with a hatchet, run 15 kilometers through the woods (at a constant ~20kph, never stopping), over a mountain then repair a helicopter with a toolbox you'd find in someone's house.

DayZ is a very fun simulation game, but still a game. We've all watched horror movies where we say "Why is that idiot going in the scary insane asylum where 3 people died yesterday, I'd never do that", but then if horror movies followed real life logic they'd be 10 minutes long and nothing would happen.

Not all games need antagonists, or bad guys, however, DayZ is going to be fun (for most people) for about a week unless there is some sort of conflict. I know I've said this in TeamSpeak, don't think I've ever said it on the forums, but I don't know if this is a good game for the Ville. It most definitely could be, but, players have to come into with the expectation that nice, helpful Villuns may very well shoot them in the face "unprovoked", then steal their beans.

I really do hope that villuns that are new to DayZ understand the environment of this game.

If someone ransacking your base and stealing your guns/food/medical supplies/vehicles/parts/tools would infuriate you, and, feel like a personal attack then this isn't the game you're looking for.

If someone ransacking your base and stealing your guns/food/medical supplies/vehicles/parts/tools would make you say "Oh it's on!" and want to look for that bandit, get your revenge and have a laugh, then you'll love DayZ.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add, that we, as a community can look at this as an opportunity to have a bunch of fun. We have a giant, intricate sandbox we can all play in. We can set up fun events/situations. BETTEH and I could go into Bad Guy mode and we can all have fun playing Cat and Mouse, good guys vs the Bandits, etc.

Right now, we don't have enough random non-villuns in the server to support "normal, nominal" DayZ play, but we can still have a lot of fun if we put some thought into it, while we hopefully attract more people.

Greebo
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Greebo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 am

I had a revelation last night.
Involving backpacks.

Turns out, the inventory you see when you press G (by default) isn't your backpacks contents! Whodathunkit!?
You have to open your backpack separately to get at the slots in there. And there I was running around always worrying about food! (I couldn't figure out why the British assault pack wasn't giving my the 18 slots I expected).

Also I have a silenced M4A1- bwhahahaha!

Anyways, back to the topic.

Shifty, I nearly burst out laughing at work reading this: "players have to come into with the expectation that nice, helpful Villuns may very well shoot them in the face "unprovoked", then steal their beans."
Last edited by Greebo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Greebo wrote:I had a revelation last night.
Involving backpacks.

Turns out, the inventory you see when you press G (by default) isn't your backpacks contents! Whodathunkit!?
You have to open your backpack separately to get at the slots in there. And there I was running around always worrying about food! (I couldn't figure out why the British assault pack wasn't giving my the 18 slots I expected).

Also I have a silenced M4A1- bwhahahaha!

Anyways, back to the topic.
Keep a close eye on backpack space. Trying to put more in it than can fit is a great way to delete items.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Marf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

TheCarpe wrote:Keep a close eye on backpack space. Trying to put more in it than can fit is a great way to delete items.
As I've found out. The inventory system is very confounding to me still. Vehicles will just drop onto the ground what they can't hold, still don't know how to tell when a tent is full.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Counting is the best method.

Tents will hold 10 guns and/or tools (of any type/size), 5 backpacks (of any type/size), and 50 other items (of any type/size).

They'll spit out things if overfilled, but they spit things out a long way off (like 30+ meters) and at an odd angle, so it can be very hard to find that stuff if you're not in a wide open and flat area.
-Boss Llama

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:
Ugh, I hate when people compare games to real life, or want games more realistic. In video games we have no situational awareness (can't tell where our feet are), we can log off, no life like perception, and most importantly, no fear of death.

the point he was trying to make went so far over your head, it is in geosynch orbit

everyone else has rather good counterpoints though
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 pm

I want to play this game, but there is no way I could deal with automatic deletion of items from backpacks and the other issues. I would be a rage machine and I have enough stress in my life as is.

Once we have a decent stand alone version count me in. Until then I'll keep reading these threads and wishing/waiting for the stand alone.