Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Opinions required!

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

Hey there, DayZ players!

As part of sorting out our new server, I'd like to get some opinions on the following matters (all of which are based on bringing in pubbers from the community and creating our own little slice of zombie-infested heaven).

Map - We are currently on Taviana, as that's what several Villuns were playing elsewhere before this server was brought up. It is a custom map. Proposal to change map to Chernarus. The benefit is that Chernarus is the official map of the game, and is what the stand-alone will be based around. Everybody who players DayZ has Chernarus, and the vast majority are looking to play it. Taviana requires additional downloading, so many players don't bother. Chernarus doesn't have so many seperated resources on it as Taviana does (cities with hospitals are only on the coast, big military airfield is only in the northwest). This could be a negative or a positive, depending how you look at it - you're forced in to conflict with players more often, but that means you're interacting with those players more often. Also, also the wiki information and such is based on Chernarus. Here's the map.

Vehicle Count - Players also like vehicles. I can increase the vehicle count massively. Default is 25, which means that in many days of playing, you are lucky to even see a vehicle, much less one that works. Currently it is set at 200, which means you can find vehicles around. A popular number appears to be 400, which means vehicles are readily accessible. Chernarus is a large area with a lot of running required. Vehicles will definitely make big difference in the ability to travel where needed.

Chopper Wrecks - I've done some hunting, and found a script that allows a significant increase in the number of valuable chopper wrecks, as well as the area over which they can be found. This will help offset the concentrated resources of Chernarus by spreading some military firepower and medical equipment out in random drops around a large area. Also, players appear to be drawn by the promise of big guns.

Starting Loadout - While I love the feeling of being lost and weak when spawned, a lot of people don't. As Betteh said to me yesterday, "people want to be able to shoot." Also, as Keyes said to me, "Not everybody can read Cyrillic." The upshot of this is, should we start people out with a G17 pistol and a map, instead of a revolver and nothing? The G17 is a nice option, because it has a large magazine that helps if you're carefully headshotting zombies, but it's a smaller caliber, so not so prone to rapdily killing players.

Care packages, extra buildings, etc - I haven't yet located an easy way to add these things, but it is possible. I'm no coder, but I can look in to tutorials and such to see if there's one out there that works for our type of server. If I could find a way to add these (functionally adding more high-end equipment and ammo to the game), should I pursue it? It significantly cuts down on the survival aspect of the game, and increases the power level of player vs player interactions.

Let me know your thoughts on these points, and any others that may occur.
-Boss Llama

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Opinions required!

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 am

I would be fine with Chernarus.

I think a Makarov and Map might be better, but a G17 is fine (aside from a silenced pistol, the G17 is my favorite).

As far as vehicle spawns I think we'd need to tweak it and see, but, 200 sounds like a good starting point.

I would think increased chopper wrecks/drops might offset needing to include new buildings. I think military equipment should still be rare-ish.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 pm

I have no problem with the way we spawn...the rest of the changes I endorse
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:10 pm

If we keep adding more and more stuff, easier loot, easier vehicles, no non-villuns... then what's the point of playing? Zombies are little to no difficulty. Searching for better items with the paranoia of hostile players is what made the game exciting for me.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:49 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:If we keep adding more and more stuff, easier loot, easier vehicles, no non-villuns... then what's the point of playing? Zombies are little to no difficulty. Searching for better items with the paranoia of hostile players is what made the game exciting for me.
who said no non villuns? in fact all of the changes encourage more people...
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 pm

BigBiker05 wrote:If we keep adding more and more stuff, easier loot, easier vehicles, no non-villuns... then what's the point of playing? Zombies are little to no difficulty. Searching for better items with the paranoia of hostile players is what made the game exciting for me.
Alizée Fan wrote:As part of sorting out our new server, I'd like to get some opinions on the following matters (all of which are based on bringing in pubbers from the community and creating our own little slice of zombie-infested heaven).
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Cheranus

G17 and Map

Slight Increase in Wrecks

Slight increase in Vehicles / Helis

No modified structures / tents etc.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 pm

BETTEH wrote:Cheranus

G17 and Map

Sounds good, but if it is a single server, private hive, will that get people onto the server? I know vanilla on public hive will pull the most people but also the most scripted kiddies / items.

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 pm

BETTEH wrote:Cheranus

G17 and Map

I'd personally prefer to start with either of the .45's as you can find ammo more readily than you can with a g17. At the same time I think people will feel cooler with a g17 early in the game even though I think it's less practical. I think you should also start with 1 or 2 bandages, other that I'm good with Betteh's list. Would/will be curious to see Cheranus with higher spawns.
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Can't do the public hive - we would have no admin rights at all to that. Can't even ban a person without "permission" from the devs (or face de-listing and banning yourself).

I took a look at several points throughout the day today at the most populated servers to see what settings they ran, and what kinds of servers they were. Of the top 20 or so at any given time, there were usually only around 2 or 3 public hives - all the rest were private. Private definitely seems to be a viable way to go. Most were running increased drops to a degree, and a couple had some pretty ridiculous stuff, but there were several that seemed to be set with similar stuff to the items listed above, and they were humming along happily too. I even hopped in one and ran around a bit, and was amazed to find it was pretty much all co-operative, with newbies getting lifts from Cherno and Electro from various VTOL aircraft that kept humming around scaring the crap out of me.

Good replies thusfar, keep it up!
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Ok, barring any major objections not yet raised, I'll go ahead and prep to shift the server over. Based on what's been said here...

Map: Chernarus
Vehicle Count: Will stick with 200 for now and see what that's like. If we feel it is warranted, we can adjust easily in the future.
Chopper Wrecks: I'll expand these
Starting Loadout: I'll give folks G17 and Map. Other guns are also good options, but as Mortis said, people seem to be drawn by the G17 more than by others.
Care packages, extra buildings, etc: I'll avoid these.

I can roll the server over late tonight or early tomorow, so if people want to rock out with a big free for all battle tonight at some point, that would be pretty cool. I'm not sure I'll be free as I have friends arriving from out of town tonight, but if somebody wants to take the lead in organizing something, go for it!

Let's assume upon new map coming up that we are going to PvP mode, and go from there. Negotiate your encounters with other Villuns just as you would any others - let's get that tension in there!
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:04 pm

And I just fixed up a vehicle and set up a base today :lol:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:09 pm

I think flipping it now would be fine. I donr want to fly all over taviana for one fight. Bring on cheranus
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Just a little bit more:

Like mortis said, lets not go with the glock. Ammo for glock is too rare in noob areas.

As for vehicles, how do custom vehicles work and can we de-militarize it a bit? I would prefer not to see a billion tanks and military choppers around and would like to see some bush-planes and small civilians choppers. Same with the weapons, rather have civilian/hunting weapons be more normal than high-grade military weapons (if that is possible).

Otherwise, everything seems good.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 pm

I still think starting with a Makarov is the best option. Not a big deal though.