Free copies of ARMA II CO (To play DayZ)

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Free copies of ARMA II CO (To play DayZ)

Post by Jesus_Faction » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:06 pm

where is day 2?

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Jesus_Faction wrote:where is day 2?
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:15 pm

There wont be one, none of us survived obviously.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 pm

ShiftyDevil wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
Steal Betteh's huey and run him over with it. Then parachute down on Mortis and shoot him until he dies to death.

Then Party.
Good to know what I'll be coming back to tomorrow. :blah:

Tis a sound plan tho
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Congratulations to our day 1 winner, Frostdillicus! He really nailed things with a great set of priorities and some creative thinking that has "boy scout" written all over it :-D

Here it is:
VIEW CONTENT:
I would then look around my general vicinity for signs of human or animal activity. Human activity in the form of tracks, remnants of fire, or trash. Animal activity in the form of tracks or scat.

If I find human activity, especially in the form of trash, it would hopefully have some sort or writing allowing me to discern if I am somewhere where I know the language. This helps me know that if I run across someone if I will be able to communicate using language or only using gestures and such.

If I find animal activity, that will allow me to determine if I should be wary of predators or not. The tracks of a wolf or bear differ greatly from that of a deer after all. If I find the tracks of a deer or other "safe" animal, I will know there is a source of fresh water in the area. I can then follow the tracks, or the animal itself if I spot it, to find the source of water.

After I have determined all the information I can from the beach, I would head out towards the base of the bluff. Getting the lay of the land from high ground will give me a better idea of where I need to travel to next.

Once I reach the bluff, I would find a sheltered area and check on my provisions. First, I would check to make sure any ammunition that I am carrying is dry. Wet ammo is useless to me and will need to be set in the sun, while I still have any, to dry. After I get the lay of the land from my high hiding spot, I would progress towards any fresh water source that I happened to spot. The most important thing right now is finding water. Food can come later.

What I do next depends entirely on if and where I spot fresh running water. If I do not spot anything, then I will fall back to track any animal tracks that I found earlier. If I do spot a source of running water, I will head towards it. Hopefully, the water source is in the forest as that will provide far better cover than if it is out on open plains.

Once I get to the fresh water source, by either means, I will look around again for animal tracks. If animals frequent the water source, then it is more than likely safe enough. After securing a source of fresh water, the next task will be to build a shelter. As I am hopefully either in or near the woods, there will be plenty of logs availalbe to make a rudimentary lean to. After the lean to is constructed, I will find long grasses and tie them in bundles to be used as a roofing material to at least attempt to waterproof my shelter a bit. After these bundles are there, I would use debries from the surrounding area (leaves, small sticks, etc) to fill in gaps waterproofing the shelter.

After that, I will use the excess wood and grass that I gathered for the lean to to make a small fire. I will build this close to the open front of the lean to and surround it with rocks so that they absorb the heat of the fire. On the other side of the fire I will build a fire wall to reflect some of the heat more into the lean to. The rocks can be used for warmth if the fire is put out by the rain. As I now have shelter, water, and warmth for the night I can focus more on exploring. The prime canidate for exploration would be the abandoned villiage from earlier. For future exploring, I will need some sort of canteen for carrying water with me. Hopefully, I can find something suitable in the abandoned villiage.

For food, I would look for any canned goods in the abandoned villiage. If I am unable to find any, I will have to fall back on my knowledge of wild berries until I have made suitable weapons for hunting. While I do have a weapon, I would prefer to save the ammunition for instances where my life is threatened rather than just hunting for food. Ideally, I would find a source of berries or nuts to start with. This would give me time, and bait, to build snares or pitfall traps to catch small game such as mice and rabbits. The tools necessary to do so are easilly crafted. However, I will hopefully be able to find a knife, axe, or shovel in my explorations of the town.

Really, from this point on it's pretty much up to what I find in my explorations of the town. If I find tools and cloth/rope, I should be able to make a snare or pitfall in the first day. If not, I will have to spend some time making rudimentary stone tools and rope from any grasses I can find. Chipping a sharp edge into a stone is tedious, but it will provide me with a cutting tool. From this point on, now that I have a home base and basic provisions most importantly water, I can explore radially outward from my shelter. This allows me to search in a very thurough manner so that I do not miss anything. This would be after my initial exploration of any interesting sites as seen from the bluff earlier including, but not limited to, the villiage we saw at the start.
Game sent!
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:43 pm

DAY 2
Today we go to author Chuck Klosterman for inspiration, with question 1 from his list of 23 Questions I Ask Everybody I Meet In Order To Decide If I Can Really Love Them.

Let us assume you met a rudimentary magician. Let us assume he can do five simple tricks--he can pull a rabbit out of his hat, he can make a coin disappear, he can turn the ace of spades into the Joker card, and two others in a similar vein. These are his only tricks and he can't learn any more; he can only do these five. HOWEVER, it turns out he's doing these five tricks with real magic. It's not an illusion; he can actually conjure the bunny out of the ether and he can move the coin through space. He's legitimately magical, but extremely limited in scope and influence.

Would this person be more impressive than Albert Einstein?

There is no right or wrong answer, but I am interested to hear your opinions. Provide a sound basis for what you think! Either spoiler-tag your reply, or send it to me via PM. Most soundly argued answer wins!
-Boss Llama

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks Al. :)

I was indeed an Eagle Scout so....;)

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 am

VIEW CONTENT:
Albert Einstein is more impressive, as he took the time to study and understand his ideology.
Whereas said magician more than likely has no clue as to why or how, he can perform his tricks.
had Albert Einstein been the one who was pulling a rabbit, or moving a con through space. He would take the time to figure out why and how it occurred. Then share his new found knowledge with the world to better mankind. Instead of going with the flow of abra cadabra poof be gone, give me your money and I'll be on my way.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 am

Hey, someone else reads Klosterman, most of his essays and interviews are pretty good.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 am

VIEW CONTENT:
I would say magician because he can do what nobody else can. Sure Einstein was groundbreaking smart for his time, but today, there are scientists all over the world that might be as smart or smarter. The magician is one of a kind. If he is a true Magician, he also wouldn't share his secret. And who's to say people don't love magic? Look at Harry Potter. That guy would have his own lunchbox marketed in days.
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 pm

I'll try to have my submission in by 11pm. Would that be too late?

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

"Lol, I bet Alizee would make us write some sort of essay or perhaps fictional tale"...

...clicks on thread.

God bless Alizee Fan.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Crusty Juggler wrote:"Lol, I bet Alizee would make us write some sort of essay or perhaps fictional tale"...

...clicks on thread.

God bless Alizee Fan.
DAY 3
Please post a 600 word essay on the Zulu rebellion of 1906. That is all.
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 pm

PM'd my response. Sadly I saw no opportunity for make-up in this one.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Congratulations to our Day 2 winner, Mateo! He wrote a very compelling and well studied response, which was in favor of Einstein. Good arguments were made for both, but this one struck me most.
VIEW CONTENT:
MateoTheBold! wrote:“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.”

-Albert Einstein, October, 1929.

I agree that the logical choice would be the magician. As important as Einstein is, the magician is literally defying the laws of physics, not just rewriting them. How is that not more impressive?

But the romantic in me chooses Einstein. When I think of Einstein and what he accomplished, I get the same feeling I still feel staring into the dark night sky, lit with stars. There's a bit of magic in his story.

I think there has been a loss of perspective with the march of time of what Einstein accomplished, but any of his contemporaries and a number of students of history would tell you that Einstein was a magician. Any decent high school will have taught a student who possesses the initiative to take the right classes that matter and energy are two sides of the same coin, or that newton's laws of motion begin to breakdown when you go far enough down the rabbit hole. Any $30 textbook can and will explain nuclear science and will speak of the quest for a grand unified theory of physics.

Today, to us, these things are common, trite and understood. But things were not always this way and in my mind it was as much a scientist as it was a magician that lit a candle in the darkness for us.

In 1905, while still working as a patent clerk and in the same year he was working on his doctoral thesis, Einstein published 4 papers on physics that began the process of reconciling newton and kepler's mechanics (a model of physics that stood since the 1600s) with modern science, developed theories that introduced the world to quantum mechanics, stated the relationship between mass and energy (e=mc squared) and theorized the foundation of nuclear energy.

Any one of those if and of itself, would be enough to make a person famous for what they achieved...but do all four....and in the same year! Historians have looked back at the time and have dubbed it Einstein's miracle year. It's rare when hyperbole doesn't go far enough, but what Einstein accomplished in just ONE year was as impossible as someone doing real magic, there's really no other way to describe it.

In the event that the magician truly is pulling a rabbit from a hat etc. by truly magic means, at some point there will be another Einstein to explain the physics behind it!
Game's on the way!
-Boss Llama