Free copies of ARMA II CO (To play DayZ)

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Free copies of ARMA II CO (To play DayZ)

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:20 pm

Crusty Juggler wrote:"Lol, I bet Alizee would make us write some sort of essay or perhaps fictional tale"...

...clicks on thread.

God bless Alizee Fan.
:-D :-D :-D :-D

You know it! Join the fun :-D

DAY 3
For day three I propose a simple question:

What is the best gun to have in a zombie apocalypse? Assume the location is North America, and that this is a weapon for any random person, not just yourself or an especially skilled marksman. Remember to take in to account all the variables.

For judging, be advised - neither I, nor anybody in my family, has ever owned a modern firearm. I've shot .22's at camp, and am familiar with the basics from reading and gaming, but an expert I am not. Convince me why I should trust my life to your choice!

(Send answers by PM, or post them in spoiler tags below).
-Boss Llama

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Congratulations to our Day 2 winner, Mateo! He wrote a very compelling and well studied response, which was in favor of Einstein. Good arguments were made for both, but this one struck me most.
I've been very excited to try out Day-Z and I've been eyeing TS jealously when I see you all in it playing. Looking forward to this, thank you!!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Man I gotta be quicker, missed Day 2 completely!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Congratulations to Larry for a well made argument in favor of a 12 gauge pump shotgun. While it isn't what I personally would probably go for, he made an excellent case for it, and explained it in terms that work for an overall gun-ignoramus like myself. Here's what he posted:
VIEW CONTENT:
6Larry9 wrote:I would say a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. The reason I would choose it would be the simplicity of it. After shooting it for a while, a gun needs to be cleaned. Full autos/semis have parts that are a little harder to clean for the average person. With a pump action, all you need to do is remove the tube cap, pull the slide off, unattach the barrel and then clean it by running a snake through the barrel and cleaning the mechanisms.

Since most pumps are tube fed, that means most of them can hold 5+ high powered shells. Reloading is easy to do too.

There also seems to be a "short range only" idea around shotguns. With a full choke, a choke is little tube at the end of the muzzle that modifies your shot spread and a full choke is the tightest, you can reach out and hit targets with still a decent shot density up to 50 yards.

Since food would be a necessity, you can change out diffetent types of shells for different game.
Slugs for deer and larger game.
Buckshot for birds and the like.
Birdshot for smaller animals like rabbits.

Since 12 gauge is a popular calibur, where I live, you can walk into any supply store and find a nice amount.

They also last a really long time if they were made right and took care of. They don't break as easy as others. The one thing might be carry some firing pins, but those are used in every gun.

I'm not a gun expert, so I might have used the wrong word for something or whatever.
Game is on the way!

As a random side note, there was a lot of love for various Glock models sent in as well. Definitely a good handgun choice, imo!
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

DAY 4
Time for some strategy!

Let us presume, again, the zombocalypse is upon us. Let us assume as well that you are present at it, and are in a big city. For whatever reason (quarantine? attack?) you cannot leave the city, and are trapped there with thousands of other desperate people on the verge of societal breakdown as zombies spread.

What are the top buildings or similar specific places (no more than three) you feel would be the best to seek out to hunker down/fortify? What are the top buildings or places you would avoid (again, no more than three please)? Identify some pros and cons for each of your choices.

-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:32 am

Haha, I can't believe I missed that Day 3 was already posted when I replied to complain about missing Day 2! :doh:

Day 4 is a good one. It was a lot easier for me to think of places to avoid than it was to come up with places I'd like to be.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 am

Woot! Thanks Al!
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Flash wrote:Haha, I can't believe I missed that Day 3 was already posted when I replied to complain about missing Day 2! :doh:

Day 4 is a good one. It was a lot easier for me to think of places to avoid than it was to come up with places I'd like to be.
There with you. But I made day 2

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Congratulations to our Day 4 winner, Flash! He even managed to bring up something I'd never thought of on this - coastal proximity in storm areas!
VIEW CONTENT:
Flash wrote:AVOID:
Hospitals
- Everyone will think of a hospital. Many of the basic first aid supplies you will need can easily be found in other smaller clinics. Bandages, antibiotics, painkillers, etc. Hit up someplace everyone else is walking past like that OBGYN office.
+ Having trouble coming up with very much upside to a hospital for any longterm plans.

Home Depot/Lowes
- Again home improvement stores will be at the top of everyone's list when they're trying to stock up and fortify their homes. I'd be trying to hit the suppliers I know about. The metal fabrication shops, etc. While these risk the chance of coming pretty close to the next location on my list, there are a ton of these smaller shops a safe distance away.
+ Maybe you'd be able to fortify enough to keep others away using the supplies contained inside, but you won't stay unnoticed for long and will always be worried about attacks.

Industrial/Refinery complexes (This one may be too specific to my personal location but 4 of these are in the Houston metroplex: http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/inde ... ining#tab4
- I'm not sure how many people would consider heading to any of these, maybe a mistaken belief they'd have easy access to fuel. But I would steer clear simply because of the possibility for explosions and chemical leaks if the processes weren't shutdown completely (which takes time, it isn't as simple as flipping an OFF switch). And once an incident started there would be no one to stop it until the fires ran out of fuel or the leaks vented everything out.
+ The only possible upside would be fuel, but siphoning abandoned cars would be less risk.

Breaking the rule of three I know…
The coast
- A lot of folks might think the opposite, but without NOAA and the NWS I don't want to be caught too close to the gulf coast during hurricane season. Hurricane Ike pushed 22 feet of water on shore and it was devastating. Without modern technology you'd be risking another 1900 Storm

SEEK OUT:
If stuck in a big city like Houston at the start of a zombie apocalypse, patience will be key with the hope of waiting "it" out. "It" would hopefully be a fast cure, but could also be the chance to finally flee the city. I'd be looking for that perfect balance between order and chaos. The chance to slip away will require that society has broken down enough that the quarantine has fallen but that the number of zombies wandering the streets hasn't grown out of control. Authority/government is falling apart, but most people haven't gone Lord of the Flies yet. It would take a lot of skill and a lot of luck to hit this small window.

Stay close to home
+ I'd stay close to home in the beginning. There is strength in numbers and even when people do go savage they'll find it harder to turn on their longtime friends than on strangers. I know most of my neighbors and wouldn't worry about them shooting me on sight. By working together, keeping the children in a group with moms while the dads go on supply runs, etc. we'd be a lot safer.
+ We could probably find all the supplies we need in our own neighborhood for at least a month, even while "playing nice." By working together and keeping track of which homes have "fallen" we can then raid them for supplies. If this really is the bad "it" then the vacant houses will start to add up sooner then later.
- The downside is that a suburb is a lot harder to fortify than a more solid building. A group of any decent size would need to be spread across several houses which complicates things. But lots of people will be seeking out those "fortresses" meaning we might be able to sneak by unnoticed in suburbia for a little while.
Enjoy the game!
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

DAY 5
Final day of the give-away!

After the zombie apocalypse, it will be difficult to make fancy meals due to shortages of supplies, cooking space, and fuel. Until the zombie apocalypse, however, we can indulge! Describe what your absolute favorite meal to prepare is - entrees, appetizers, beverages, sides, desserts, etc. Explain what goes in to making it (preparation, spices, etc) and what it is about it that makes it so good. Winner is the person who makes my mouth water most.

-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 am

Alizée Fan wrote:Congratulations to our Day 4 winner, Flash! He even managed to bring up something I'd never thought of on this - coastal proximity in storm areas!

Enjoy the game!
Thanks AF! I'm looking forward to checking this out with y'all!