BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

The New DayZ thread

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

Hello and welcome. It has been awhile since most of us hung out our hatchets in DayZ. However, the stand alone has just begun their public closed testing with about 30 invites. This will only grow as time goes on.

Also, I will leave this here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/224580/

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The New DayZ thread

Post by ShiftyDevil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm

yeah I thought about doing a clean steam install when I saw this on joystiq.

Really miss DayZ, excited for stand a lone.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Shifty and I fired it up again last night, got the thrill of stealing 2 choppers (server had 700+ vehicles but still, finding 2 in working order with fuel). We flew around, got shot at by someone with a AS50 (he actually hit the little bird engine almost knocked us out of the sky), then in the end a hacker got on and rocked the server and we crashed into huge fireballs amongst the lag. Would do it again.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

I've been on-and-off tempted by this for a while. Thing is, with a stand-alone coming up, is it worth spending $25 to get a game I have no interest in otherwise just to play the mod until then? From what I've heard and read, the mod does have problems with hackers, griefers, etc (I also think the lead programmer is a jerk), but with a team of Villuns I'd imagine it could be pretty awesome. Opinions?
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I've been on-and-off tempted by this for a while. Thing is, with a stand-alone coming up, is it worth spending $25 to get a game I have no interest in otherwise just to play the mod until then? From what I've heard and read, the mod does have problems with hackers, griefers, etc (I also think the lead programmer is a jerk), but with a team of Villuns I'd imagine it could be pretty awesome. Opinions?
I've had the same passing interest in the game, and mostly the response has been "wait for the standalone".
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Recently the game has expanded greatly. With the Private Hives now players can have full control of their servers and items etc.

Essentially for the longest time the only way to get a server was for an official one. All official servers feed off the hive for data. So if you have weapons and gear for one server, everytime you login to another official server all of your data (and position) transfers with you. Items such as tents and vehicles are still server bound so you leave your stuff on the server when you leave. (thus raiding, stealing etc, but its all part of the game). Banning players without 100% proof could result in your server shutting down, you could not edit your server in anyway, or password it.

Now we have private hives. Which essentially means your server has its own data, you have FULL control and can do whatever the hell you like. Most private hives will let you spawn with weapons, food, have increased vehicle spawns etc.

Now as much fun as we have with the private hives script kiddies still come in and just wreck the place. We have been assured that these scripts will not be allowed to run in the standalone, but for now its a crap shoot. So you can spend hours playing it and lose everything to someone that connects for 5 seconds. (however these players have been slowly eradicated as time progresses)

We had many an awesome adventure with groups of villuns, but you really have to sink time into it to enjoy it. Quite honestly we sank a ton of time in it already so interest is waning, now its kind of a spur of the moment lets go play. I enjoy it, I wouldn't mind spending 25 bucks to play it, but that's just me. With the latest video showing they are still doing motion capture for the zombies, it looks like the standalone is farther off than any of us could of anticipated. If you dont wanna drop the cash, wait for another steam sale, if you got a few bucks you want to burn and have fun with us, I think it would be a fine purchase.

At one point we almost had a dozen of us online. By far my favorite moment was when we set up a base, 10 of us standing around laughing and talking in TS3 setting up our little area and then a grenade airbursts over our heads. We all scattered and started shooting at the top of the hill and sweeping the area with thermals. The only thing we found was a bicycle as the server was resetting shortly thereafter, so we stole it lol. If he would have cooked it one second less it would of been a party.

p.s. A word of warning. This is a mod for a war simulator. This is not a run and gun game. Everything is methodical, there is food, water, temperature etc. You have to maintain your human and ration your resources. Not to mention that the keys and inventory have a brutal learning curve. If any of you do buy it, get with one of us and we will walk you through it (probably crawl through it more than likely). If you die, you lose EVERYTHING unless you can get back to your body. You start from scratch on the beach, and it can take almost 30 minutes to run from the south portion of the map to the north. Cheranus is HUGE. Once you master these things however, it's lots of fun. We do use the DayZ DB Map for general location and information. You do not get an ingame map unless you find one on the ground.

http://dayzdb.com/map

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the great summary there, Betteh!

The simulation aspects of it (food, water, travel time, survival, etc) are what make me interested. Makes it more like an RPG, and I love those. Only thing that bugs me is that you're at such a disadvantage against anybody who decides they don't care about RP aspects and just want to grief, and the side-effects of their doing so are exactly what you said - loss of everything. From an admin perspective, it's a lot like Minecraft. Slow and steady work in a persistant world, but very easy for trolls to screw up.

With the private hives now, can those be passworded? It strikes me that a password or white list (again, akin to our Minecraft servers) would make it a pretty solid place to play. Maybe that puts too much limit on it... I dunno. The stats on the mod homepage tell the story of who succeeds in the game, and it's a little worrisome.

Still, I'm interested in this. Will have to consider it.
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:45 pm

For around 30-40 bucks a month you can rent a solid private hive server. It can be whitelisted / passworded. So if you just wanted to have Co-Op play you could do that as only players with access would be able to enter. I must say though, nothing amps up the game more knowing that you are hunting a player, or sometimes being hunted. Areas will spawn zombies only when I player gets within range of it (200 yards?) so if you look in the distance and see a city populated that you are about to enter, you are not alone.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 pm

I would be on the side of waiting. Knowing how much a few bad hacker attacks could spoil it for you, I'd say wait for the polished finished product Alizee.

Sidenote: Any of the Streamers have SA videos up? I know there isnt anything in the NDA saying they cant!
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Betteh's in the lil' Bird, this is just after we spotted the Huey (that I'm now flying), got a nice pic of him circling the area while I get off the ground:

Betteh doin' front wheelies while I furiously pray to every known god to allow me to live through it:

Last edited by ShiftyDevil on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Thanks for the great summary there, Betteh!

The simulation aspects of it (food, water, travel time, survival, etc) are what make me interested. Makes it more like an RPG, and I love those. Only thing that bugs me is that you're at such a disadvantage against anybody who decides they don't care about RP aspects and just want to grief, and the side-effects of their doing so are exactly what you said - loss of everything. From an admin perspective, it's a lot like Minecraft. Slow and steady work in a persistant world, but very easy for trolls to screw up.

With the private hives now, can those be passworded? It strikes me that a password or white list (again, akin to our Minecraft servers) would make it a pretty solid place to play. Maybe that puts too much limit on it... I dunno. The stats on the mod homepage tell the story of who succeeds in the game, and it's a little worrisome.

Still, I'm interested in this. Will have to consider it.
You can avoid most griefing by either traveling in a large group, or staying out of Cherno and Electro.

Though, there are people that are just straight up bandits, but, that's part of the game, and I've been known to wear the headscarf myself.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:23 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4638/

You need Arma 2 and Combined Operations to play Day Z. Those 2 titles are on sale now for a total of 12.50$ You just need to buy that package, launch each game at least once to the menu screen, then download Day Z from Steam and you should be good to go. (Or Day Z Commander, a 3rd party launcher) I perfer Day Z Commander and will continue to use it, you can also download the custom maps from the Commander and play on servers hosting them. Auto Updates Day Z, Arma, and the maps. Love it.

I doubt it's going to get really any cheaper than this, so if you want in, now is the time.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Purchased!

-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Purchased!

Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Download the two of them and launch them each at least once.

Open Day Z Commander and at the top right is a Install / Update tab. Click it.

Update Arma. Under Mods Update DayZ and DayZ Taviana (not the EU one).

Cheranus and Taviana are the two maps we play most, but you can play all of them if you want :)