TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The New DayZ thread

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

So is the "Official" Day Z Mod on Steam not the way to go, then?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm sad dayz won't be on the arma 3 engine. Hopefully they will take a lot of the new features. It sounds like inventory will be a mix from arma 3 and a minecraft hotbar

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm

TheCarpe wrote:So is the "Official" Day Z Mod on Steam not the way to go, then?
DayZ commander makes it easier to keep everything up to date, and has a better server browser. I'd strongly recommend using it and adding it to your steam library.

Also, if you guys want to play shoot me a message I can help you acclimate to the game, there is a steep learning curve, but I think it's definitely worth learning.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am

ShiftyDevil wrote:
TheCarpe wrote:So is the "Official" Day Z Mod on Steam not the way to go, then?
DayZ commander makes it easier to keep everything up to date, and has a better server browser. I'd strongly recommend using it and adding it to your steam library.

Also, if you guys want to play shoot me a message I can help you acclimate to the game, there is a steep learning curve, but I think it's definitely worth learning.
I'll probably hit you up sometime in the next few days. I got in and played a little with betteh, mainly just got basic flight down. Joined a main server but he had to go before we could find each other.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Same here, I'd love to help, and the only way I will play this mod anymore is if friends play with me
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 am

I spent 45 minutes to an hour (I think? Easy to lose track of time!) creeping around yesterday on a server. After an equal amount of time staring at maps and comparing contours and locations, I'm fairly confidant I've located my path. I spawned on the beach just west of Prigorodky, headed north by east and snagged some engine parts from a warehouse, then kept that bearing and headed in to the hills east of Kopyto. I followed the ridge and curved eastward, encountering the road northwest of Pusta, and following it to a seperated grouping of homes where I emptied by revolver to kill a couple aggressive zombies, got a new cylinder of bullets and a can of soda in for my troubles, and started heading south towards Pusta itself (though I didn't know that) before logging off.

Great fun, and good atmosphere! The whole creeping around thing is great, and as I become accustomed to what keys do what re: inventory and such, I'm going to be loving this. I only ran in to two issues that I wanted to ask folks about:

1) At first, my gun didn't work. This was distressing as I opened a door to exit a warehouse after grabbing engine parts, and there was a zombie directly in front of me who went agro. Gun didn't fire despite being loaded, so I booked it like a mad man out of there and made good my escape. I later figured out I had to use my "toggle guns" key to make my weapon usable. I don't know what mode I was in previously, but I don't appear able to get back to it. Despite being a "toggle" I don't seem able to exit gun mode.

2) Are residences supposed to be enterable, generally? The gun battle I mentioned getting in in the initial paragraph only happened because I spent so much time standing up in the open trying to figure out how to operate a door that zombies got up in my business. Do only a few doors work (the ones where you get a nice big icon on your screen indicating action is possible), or is this related to still being in gun mode? The big doors of the warehouse I looted worked fine, but that was before I found my gun toggle, and they gave me an icon indicating I could manipulate them.

One way or another, good stuff!

My route:
VIEW CONTENT:
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 am

I'm gonna try and put a bit of time in tomorrow when I'm off and would love a guided tour :)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I spent 45 minutes to an hour (I think? Easy to lose track of time!) creeping around yesterday on a server. After an equal amount of time staring at maps and comparing contours and locations, I'm fairly confidant I've located my path. I spawned on the beach just west of Prigorodky, headed north by east and snagged some engine parts from a warehouse, then kept that bearing and headed in to the hills east of Kopyto. I followed the ridge and curved eastward, encountering the road northwest of Pusta, and following it to a seperated grouping of homes where I emptied by revolver to kill a couple aggressive zombies, got a new cylinder of bullets and a can of soda in for my troubles, and started heading south towards Pusta itself (though I didn't know that) before logging off.

Great fun, and good atmosphere! The whole creeping around thing is great, and as I become accustomed to what keys do what re: inventory and such, I'm going to be loving this. I only ran in to two issues that I wanted to ask folks about:

1) At first, my gun didn't work. This was distressing as I opened a door to exit a warehouse after grabbing engine parts, and there was a zombie directly in front of me who went agro. Gun didn't fire despite being loaded, so I booked it like a mad man out of there and made good my escape. I later figured out I had to use my "toggle guns" key to make my weapon usable. I don't know what mode I was in previously, but I don't appear able to get back to it. Despite being a "toggle" I don't seem able to exit gun mode.

2) Are residences supposed to be enterable, generally? The gun battle I mentioned getting in in the initial paragraph only happened because I spent so much time standing up in the open trying to figure out how to operate a door that zombies got up in my business. Do only a few doors work (the ones where you get a nice big icon on your screen indicating action is possible), or is this related to still being in gun mode? The big doors of the warehouse I looted worked fine, but that was before I found my gun toggle, and they gave me an icon indicating I could manipulate them.

One way or another, good stuff!

My route:
VIEW CONTENT:
When you first spawn in, on the bottom of your screen will be the word "Cheranus" followed by your general location. That second word is really important as it is your first indication of where you are. A good rule of thumb for residences is if you can see inside the window, the door probably opens. There are several buildings in which we always enter due to the amount of goods that spawn. The Red Apartments at Cherno, the Salmon buildings, farms, cafe across from the grocery store, the store itself, school houses, barracks, and watch towers for starters. Ive also had that issue with the weapons too on some servers but toggling will make it active again.

A few more tidbits worth mentioning. Because of the large scale of the map, zombies will only spawn in areas around buildings and facilities (so the woods are pretty much safe, also where you want to run to in order to lose them without firing. However the preferred method of escape is still "double dooring", where you run into a structure with an entrance and an exit, they lose sight of you and drop aggro). If you are walking up on a city and see zombies spawn on your screen in a cluster and start to spread slowly, chances are you spawned them. If you run up on a city with zombies spread out everywhere walking around, chances are you are not alone.

The two major cities on Cheranus are Chernogorsk and Electroksaokckcaaokoa. (we call them Cherno and Electro). Points of interest include military installments such as Balota, NW Airfield, Barracks at Stary Sober, barracks near Solinichy. These are all usually PVP contested areas as they have assault weapons and related ammo. Raiding deer stands is generally far safer and will yield the same resuly after looting several. We have made several friends in game, however the general rule of thumb for us has become to shoot first and ask questions later. Too many times have we had a kill shot and passed to try and be friendly only to lose people in a gun fight.

IIRC "V" is still the fire selector for assault weapons, and PG UP / PG DWN is used for zeroing sniper rifles. Now is a good time to look into mill dots if you are unfamiliar with them, or get lucky and find a range finder. Usually what I do is if i have a map, ill shift right click (sets a waypoint) and it gives you the meters to target, and use that as a rough guide for zeroing.

I will be on tonight and tomorrow night for any walk throughs and help :)
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info :-) I was definitely in full-on low-crawl mode up the ridges and through the woods, even though I had a sneaking suspicion I was safe. It just felt appropriate :-D The clear windows tip is helpful - I checked one of the online maps and found that the houses I was having trouble with aren't lootable, so nothing missed on that front. It was just a test run on a random empty unofficial server with good ping, so nothing lost. Oddly, I seemed to have a built-in range finder when I pulled up my revolver - I could roll my mouse wheel, and an indicator would come up for range, as well as identifying things like "man" or "house" if I was looking at those. Might have been a server-side thing though, obviously.

I'll look for you on tonight!
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Yeah, when you launch Day Z on the left side there are several filters you can use for servers. It sounds like one of the servers you were playing had GPS and Nameplates enabled. We normally tend to play on servers with those functions disabled, but third person is enabled. If I had not mentioned that yet, it is also one of your most important keys to have bound. I swap between First and Third constantly. Holding down right click will allow you to zoom in both views, as well as with your weapons. When in third person the green cross hair is not an accurate representation of your aim however.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm having loads of fun in DayZ, but find myself vexed by physics glitches that have caused at least as many deaths as anything deliberately intended to be dangerous. Also, no matter what I do or where I look, I cannot find any beverages. Still, thought it would be fun to write up tonight's play. Based on a true story, I here present to you...

Learning Curve – The Diary

Weather: Raining

Dear diary, I woke up in the same place I bedded down for a very paranoid night – in a house in Vysota. I have some ammo for my revolver, plenty of bandages, and a bit of food. I am thirsty, and need to find something to drink. Also, a long gun would be nice. I creep quietly to the door, open it, and step outside. To make sure no zombie see me, I lay down prone. Somehow, doing this near the house causes me to snap all the bones in both legs, rendering me incapable of walking. I drag myself across the street to a barn and find a Czech hunting rifle. These .303 mags I found yesterday won’t fit, but it has one magazine with it, so I’m pleased. I decide to drag myself to the outskirts of Chernogorsk to seek a morphine injector for my oddly broken bones. While my injuries prevent me from moving upright, they do not prevent me from being forced upright by the 2 inch lip required to get on to the road. Immediately at least half a dozen zombies see me, and beat my brain in. I know there were at least 6, because I had 5 bullets.

Dear diary, I hate zombies. After being beaten down I found myself again standing on the shoreline, now just east of Prigorodky. I head inland, with the intention of finding my body, and trot along the shore for a ways without issue. I realize I’m going to need food and something to drink, so I sneak to a nice farm house. In it, I find canned food, a hatchet, a heap of shotgun ammunition, and a lovely old style shotgun. Sadly, the ammo doesn’t work in this antiquated weapon, but I take both ammo and gun in case I can find a partner later on. Still nothing to drink though, I’m awfully thirsty. Silly zombies have no idea I’m here, as I skillfully sneak in and out of the barn. Sadly, I must have pricked my knee on a nail or something, because creeping near where a fence rail goes in to the ground, I suddenly found myself leaping bolt upright in the middle of a field, surrounded by zombies. With no suitable ammunition for my big gun, I empty 4 cylinders of .45 ACP in to them from my revolver as I flee full tilt to the woods. Having downed all but two, I run out of ammunition, and the remaining zombies (who must have been track stars) immediately catch me and club me to death.

Dear diary, I’m on the other side of the world from both my bodies now. Screw these zombies! Hey look, there’s one on the beach right next to me. Eat me, sucker. EAT MY BRAINS NOW! DO IT!

Dear diary, as if in mockery of my attempt to commit suicide and respawn closer to my corpses, I find myself washing ashore in the exact same place as last time – bloody Otmel. You know what? I don’t care! I see my own body next to me, and gather my additional ammunition and bandages from it. I see that lone zombie nearby, and empty my entire .45 in to its face because hey, screw these zombies. Liberated by the fact that no amount of caution seems to prevent fate from screwing me over, I laugh merrily and run full tilt down the beach in broad daylight, straight towards the first building I see. I burst in to a storage shed and find a pile of .45 ammo on the floor, which I scoop up. I immediately use the first cylinder to frag the two zombies that followed me in, where upon I waltz to the next shed and recover canned food and a hunting knife. I hop up a hill and see a power plant with a fire stations, the whole complex crawling with zombies. I run straight in to the fire station and slam the door behind me, whereupon I spot an M16 just sitting there like it was waiting for me, with multiple magazines next to it. I scoop them up, and completely fill my backpack with food, medicine, ammunition, and equipment. A couple zombie toss open the door and I blow their heads off at point blank. I then open the back door, loot every building in the area, and laugh my way cross-country, following the power lines back towards Vysota. Along the way I help myself to a barn, and locate 6 hatchets inside, along with ammunition to match that old shotgun I used to have. Don’t need it now! I slaughter a cow on the way out to prove my point, and add its meat to my backpack. I jog across country, no zombies in sight, knowing the powerlines will lead me where I need to go. I have everything I could need, except a drink. As a matter of fact, I’ve not yet seen a single beverage, and man I’m thirsty! Pity I can’t drink this rain, or use the water pumps, or the ponds (at least until I find a canteen. I guess these empty cans don’t work!). Still, I find my way back to my body in Vysota, cook some beef over a fire, and combine the best of my packs together. Night is coming, so it’s time for me camp. Hmm, that house over there looks familiar, maybe I’ll stay again tonight. I wonder if they have anything to drink…
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 am

Yesterday we did what many players could only dream of, or perhaps scoff at us for. Pine and I were killed after locating the base of the clan that owned the server by one of the members that ran us down in a vehicle. They must not of known we saw the location prior to the encounter. After a few hours we trekked back, stole the vehicle with the most goods, and then proceeded to take 2 M249 Machine Guns and several belts out of a tent. We ran over all of their tents to destroy their items, and then we proceeded to shoot every vehicle until it exploded destroying all of their items. Hundreds of hours of gameplay, gone in a flash.

I also killed a bunch of innocent people today and have now dropped into negative humanity gaining the Bandit skin.

Life is good on Taviana.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 am

I too have been having fun with Betteh, Shifty, and Pine. Still very much learning the ropes but I'm digging the atmosphere and the tension.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 am

Just a quick query for the more experienced players - where are the best places to find food beverages? I've been under the impression that residences and farms are reasonable spots, but in my various lives I've only ever encountered a single beverage - a can of soda that dropped from a zombie I killed on my very first play through. Other than that, not a drop. I would seriously trade high power weaponry for a couple water bottles or something (to say nothing of a canteen).
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:04 am

Grocery stores!