The New DayZ thread

E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: The New DayZ thread

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 am

Also it could be a good idea to hold onto a couple of canteens you may find since they are refillable.
[size=100][b][color=red]Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for Sega[/color][/b][/size]

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 am

You should join us Alizee. We could use another gun friend on the field. We have lots of drinks at our base!

Sidenote, I logged in a bit earlier today and in the short time I was there, I got to overhear someone blowing the crap out of all our vehicles (and apparently, stealing one). So I hope we get that helo moving soon, because we have no wheels now.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm

It would be fun to join ya'll, but I'm definitely not interested in being a bandit. I have no problem unleashing righteous vengeance on others, nor with stealing stuff from unattended camps. I don't want anything to do with attacking innocent folks though - it just doesn't jive with me.

Since what I've been playing is just on a random unofficial server I get good ping to, I suppose I could boot up a second fellow with you on Taviana for some group play and split time between them. Let me know when you're getting ready to rock that, and I'll see about joining up.
-Boss Llama

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:It would be fun to join ya'll, but I'm definitely not interested in being a bandit. I have no problem unleashing righteous vengeance on others, nor with stealing stuff from unattended camps. I don't want anything to do with attacking innocent folks though - it just doesn't jive with me.
You'll eventually notice there are no innocent people in the worlds. No matter who you run into they are most likely going to try and shoot you.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Cheranus maps are far more tame. They are the standard map and servers related to the game. The players on Taviana are more veteran so far. The server we picked even has an increased number of weapons and supplies (you also spawn with a map and G17). We picked it to ramp up the experience so to speak. We have been shot at looting nuetral air drops, driving around towns, drinking pepsis, etc. There are few innocent people left, and given the opportunity they would much rather shoot first than risk using open mic chat. Despite my bandit status, most of the players killed shot first, it is the function of the game to award negative humanity to a player killed that has no murders on him already. The situation that Shifty, Carpe, and I were put in last night pretty much left us with no option but to engage all targets. We went out in the water to explore Oil Rigs and the server restarted, upon restart we were moved back to the main island as the oil rigs were apparently out of normal map boundaries, where beginners spawned with G17 pistols. With all of the gear we had, there was no way anyone would not try to engage us. We pretty much wiped them out when they started tracking us and moved on to get back to our camp. Cheranus is fun, but leaves much to be desired. There are is only 2 suitable locations to retrieve good gear, and on any server worth while there will be a sniper near by waiting for you to grab it. Taviana is a massive map and makes for more of a survival situation. Once you leave the starter area it becomes a matter of life or death. Do you let that guy live and risk him shooting you? Our base is almost 30 minutes away from any real starter area (And thats by car, let alone walking). We simply choose not to risk it and engage most targets. If we are hidden in the woods, we will sometimes choose not to engage and continue to be silent.

However there was one person I killed yesterday to protect our things. While moving out of a town a guy was running around with an AK-47 stirring up the place, drawing zombie (and player) attention down there. It went on for a few minutes until he got real close and I could see him out of an apartment window. He was going crazy killing all of the zombies and running around town. To prevent anymore zombies for my own escape, and any interested players, I zoomed in with my sniper rifle and shot him in the kneecap breaking his leg. The zombies came in and finished him off, I received a murder for it, and I was able to escape with our goods. Unfortunately while dilly dallying in town messing around waiting for him to pass, someone went to the beach and stole our weapons truck and drove off. It is what it is.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for the grocery store tip, Carpe. Though I finally managed to get some beverage drops while on my way to the store (thirst icon flashing red, I walked in to an apartment complex and opened fire), the grocer clearly had a side-market in tactical goods. The floor was completely covered in maps, watches, binoculars, and ammo, plus more food and drink than I could carry.

I guess I just don't get why people would automatically attack anybody carrying good gear, or anybody period, really. I mean, I know folks do that, but it just seems like trolling/griefing, rather than a legit attempt to survive. The resultant situation, with each side immediately attempting to kill each other with no questions asked drags the game back towards everyday FPS territory, instead of the awesome survival, stealth, and scavenge world that it can be. Obviously I haven't spent enough time playing around other people yet. Maybe once I'm exposed to the fact that they basically represent "the internet," my desire to rip their hearts out on sight will manifest.
-Boss Llama

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Thanks for the grocery store tip, Carpe. Though I finally managed to get some beverage drops while on my way to the store (thirst icon flashing red, I walked in to an apartment complex and opened fire), the grocer clearly had a side-market in tactical goods. The floor was completely covered in maps, watches, binoculars, and ammo, plus more food and drink than I could carry.

I guess I just don't get why people would automatically attack anybody carrying good gear, or anybody period, really. I mean, I know folks do that, but it just seems like trolling/griefing, rather than a legit attempt to survive. The resultant situation, with each side immediately attempting to kill each other with no questions asked drags the game back towards everyday FPS territory, instead of the awesome survival, stealth, and scavenge world that it can be. Obviously I haven't spent enough time playing around other people yet. Maybe once I'm exposed to the fact that they basically represent "the internet," my desire to rip their hearts out on sight will manifest.
If I'm red on food and not near a store and I see some dude running around? I'm taking his Beans.

If I have a camp set up, and some schmoe is near it? I'm putting a bullet in his dome to protect what keeps me alive.

If I'm raiding a hospital and I see someone with an AK coming toward me? He might get a warning shot.

You might be a nice guy, but I'll be alive.

On Taviana? A big clan imposing it's power because of it's "wealth"? Well I'm going to find your camp, get a SAW and turn your vehicles into smoking piles, then I'm going to destroy your tents; then I'm going to wait for you to rebuild and do it again, maybe I'll leave you a can of Beans just so you know.
Last edited by ShiftyDevil on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Thanks for the grocery store tip, Carpe. Though I finally managed to get some beverage drops while on my way to the store (thirst icon flashing red, I walked in to an apartment complex and opened fire), the grocer clearly had a side-market in tactical goods. The floor was completely covered in maps, watches, binoculars, and ammo, plus more food and drink than I could carry.

Normally I would agree with you. If you could have equal parts helpful players and bandits, it would make the game considerably more interesting. I'd love to walk up to a dude and ask for some Sardines in exchange for a clip, maybe try and hitchhike to Sabina. That said, it's simply not the case. I've yet to see another player in this game (Villuns excepted) that hasn't immediately shot at me as soon as they saw me. It's just not happening. You'll learn as you play, and after enough respawns you'll realize, the only sure way to stay alive is to make other people dead.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 pm

If you really want a challenge, play as a noncombatant medic. I have done so.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Shifty is banned from helicopters.

That is all.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 pm

That tree jumped out in front.....er.....above me.

So, I decided we needed food at camp. I headed south through the woods looking for a pig, maybe some fields were I could nab some sheep or cow, instead I found the Black SUV that's been harassing our base.

I snagged it, but, still wanted some meat, I figured I'd head toward the air field, that way if I didn't find some game I'd at least be able to take a look and maybe get some loot.

Well, I killed a couple sheep, and hit the airfield. There was a fresh C130, but I forgot how to taxi and got it stuck.

Thankfully there was a old Russian prop plane, I taxi'd it properly this time and took off. So far, so good.

Needing a spot to land it, I got some altitude and popped open my map. While looking for a nice secluded strip I heard my engines start to increase in RPM a great deal, took down my map just in time to splat into the ocean. I blame the crash on you guys being slackers and not being around to navigate for me.

Respawned near Sabina, hoofed it to the bridge, but, someone landed a Huey on one of the bridge supports and is sniping anyone trying to cross. Not in the mood to deal with wankers I logged. On the plus side who's awesome and has a Hero skin?
VIEW CONTENT:

This guy!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Had an amusing occurence the other day. Was playing with Mort, and we decided to stick our heads in to Stary Sobor to visit the tents. Just before getting there, I had my bones broken by a very random fall from a tree stand. Mort checked out the tents but got caught and taken down. Meanwhile, in addition to being unable to walk, I had minimal health and nothing but a revolver with a couple rounds left. I decided to commit suicide by zombie, in order to respawn as well, since my position was untenable.

I crawled in to the open on the cement pad where all the army tents are - no reaction.

I crawl straight up a zombie. He freaks out, takes a few swings (which miss), then de-agros and wanders away.

"Hmm" I think, "heck with it, let's see what's in the tents." Turns out, there was an AKM with a two magazines, which I grab and equip. Just then, a zombie decides to react, so I shoot him with the AKM. The sound alters a bundle more zombies, who flood the tent. I open fire and kill 7-8. Then it stops. I look outside, and more zombies are wandering around, but ignoring me.

I crawl out and go to another tent - this has a Glock 17 with 3 magazines. I equip it, which again results in a zombie noticing me and charging. I open fire again, emptying the AKM and one of the G17 mags, taking down perhaps 10-12 more zombies. I peek out the tent, and see the path is clear. I did get hit once or twice, and I'm now on my last legs - vision blurry and grey, head pounding, barely able to see, but I start crawling away. Now with these guns (and some good gear I snagged as well), I'd love to get away and at least try to move to a more recoverable place, maybe hunt for doctor zombies in nearby towns to locate a morphine injector for my bones. Blurred vision and all, I pistol-snipe several more zombies on my way out of the camp, with nothing reacting to the sounds of my shots at all, and make it up the tree-covered hill. Near the top, I see one last zombie walking across my path. I'm away from the camp, so I decide to kill him even though I don't "need" to. I take aim, and drop him with a single bullet to the head.

Four zombies rush out of the trees from every direction, and instantly kill me.

Enter, keyboard cat :-D I have great luck when I don't care what happens to me (see the final entry in my previous "diary" post), but when I'm trying to stay alive, it just doesn't work :-D

-edit-

I'm learning about certain limitation in the engine the hard way - I lost both an M16 and an AK-74 with 90 rounds of ammo, in less than 30 minutes due to backpack problems and glitches with dropped items disappearing. I'm learning, but d'oh!
-Boss Llama

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm

If you try to put something in your backpack and there's not enough space the item straight disappears, so yeah be weary of that.

Also, different guns have different loudnesses, irrespective of the actual sound file the engine plays, to determine if a Zombie aggros.

The loudest gun you're probably going to find any time soon is the Lee Enfield, its the loudest thing outside the big boy sniper rifles. Not quite as loud, but still very, very loud is the AKM, so if you find another one of those keep that in mind. I would only use that on players or if you get swarmed.

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 pm

http://i.imgur.com/BuY29.jpg

Fire Axe is probably the best weapon to use on zombies / in towns, when you first pick it up it goes on your toolbelt at the bottom of your inventory screen. From there you can walk up to trees and right click (get wood) and it will chop a pile of wood into your bags so you can use the box of matches to make a fire. With the hunting knife you can gut animals, infinite blood and food yay. However, you can also click "remove from tool belt" and it equpis it in your main weapon slot. So make sure you move any other weapons in your main slot to your backpack first if you try that (or if its the first thing you pick up just equip it to slot), and reload it (yes reload the axe). It is a one hit kill on zombies as well, so swing away.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:27 pm

The one thing about melee weapons is their hit detection can be real weird. The base Arma game didn't have melee in it, so melee in DayZ is a bit wonky. This is always why zombies hitting players is a bit wonky.