The New DayZ thread

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The New DayZ thread

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 pm

So since my last hunting trip was a giant failure I went back out today.

I killed a cow, some sheep, a boar, hit a fire and cooked that all up, so we have a nice stash of steaks now back at base.

Along with that I pitched two tents and brought back a new G36, assorted ammo, a couple rare items in an entrenching tool and a GPS, grabbed two new ALICE packs, some grenades and other assorted goodies.

I brought back a Ural but lagged out and hit a cow, so it's pretty busted up and couldn't find anything to repair it.

My favorite thing I found was an 1866 rifle. It's possibly my favorite gun, especially when your a "lower level" or starting new. It'll one shot a zombie if you hit it in the chest, it's super quiet for a rifle, and it has common ammo. It's only downside is it's not the best at killing players.

EDIT: looking at BETTEH's link on guns, either that charts wrong, they updated the loudness on the gun, or I'm smoking crack because I could swear it isn't that loud, I'll test it later.

EDIT EDIT: Also I found the blue van again, I stashed it behind the high rise apartment across from base, you can't see it from any roads, so unless someone goes back there no one should see it. Curious how it will work as a hiding spot.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 pm

We had an interesting problem with a tent today. Set it up between a couple conifers so it was really nicely concealed, but it turns out nobody can access it. It's sitting there just like any other tent, but no matter what angle we approach it from or what positions we're in, we can't "open" it. I know tents are sometimes glitchy, but is this something that sounds familiar? Kind of bummed, as we needed the storage space. I'm now running around with an M4A3 CCO and more than 700 rounds of ammo, after we encountered an ammo box full of the appropriate magazines. My entire backpack is full of spares, and I'd like to dump some off some place both so I can use the space for other stuff we find, and so I don't lose them all when I inevitably die. It is fun to have that much ammo though... kinda just walked on to the airfield, shot everything that moved, and looted all the buildings without really making a dent.

One other question - I know you can stash backpacks in tents, but is there any way to carry multiple backpacks in order to put them there? Like, can you put an empty backpack inside another backpack or something, or do you need to do one-at-a-time shuttling to do that?
-Boss Llama

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:We had an interesting problem with a tent today. Set it up between a couple conifers so it was really nicely concealed, but it turns out nobody can access it. It's sitting there just like any other tent, but no matter what angle we approach it from or what positions we're in, we can't "open" it. I know tents are sometimes glitchy, but is this something that sounds familiar? Kind of bummed, as we needed the storage space. I'm now running around with an M4A3 CCO and more than 700 rounds of ammo, after we encountered an ammo box full of the appropriate magazines. My entire backpack is full of spares, and I'd like to dump some off some place both so I can use the space for other stuff we find, and so I don't lose them all when I inevitably die. It is fun to have that much ammo though... kinda just walked on to the airfield, shot everything that moved, and looted all the buildings without really making a dent.

One other question - I know you can stash backpacks in tents, but is there any way to carry multiple backpacks in order to put them there? Like, can you put an empty backpack inside another backpack or something, or do you need to do one-at-a-time shuttling to do that?
Try to always leave one end of your tent accessible. If you cant get it from an end come at it from weird angles (go prone, crouch, get right on top of it, etc) and look at one of the corners, you may be able to get.

You can only have one backpack at a time. Do NOT pick up a back pack if you want to keep things in your current backpack; you will probably lose everything in the one you are switching from. ALWAYS drop your backpack, THEN pick up the next one.

If you are going to do serious looting work on getting a vehicle. Make it a medium term priority, then make collecting vehicle parts a short term priority. Any vehicle you find is probably going to be busted to hell, so make a point of getting engine parts, fuel parts and tires. Use scrap to fix body/hull, and windows when you can find them.

Getting a vehicle allows you to get backpacks, multiple tents, more weapons, etc. Also, if/when you get a vehicle do NOT keep it too close to your tents, you don't want to lose everything if someone finds your camp. Also, if you hit a tent with a vehicle the tent is destroyed along with all it's contents so be careful of that.

For just transportation, Bicycles are the best, you can't store anything on them but they are very fast, work well off road, are quiet and don't make huge dust clouds when driving them.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 am

So Shifty and I logged in very shortly after the server reset at midnight and decided to go check out the airfield. We went in through a hole in the fence and noticed player vehicles so we proned in the grass, shortly after we saw players moving. Looked like they were attempting to raid the vehicles then take off in the C130. Shifty and I had no long-range options so decided to just lay low, let them have their loot and go in after they left with the plane. We waited a while and they didn't seem to be moving much till a convoy of three army vehicles came roaring in and driving around like madmen.

After a gun fight aggroed all the zombies in the area one of the original people hopped into the closest vehicle and just floored it out of there. Shortly after we were noticed by the convoy players and we began taking fire from a powerful rifle. It was this point we stood up and ran like hell away from the airfield to a barn. Shifty took a shot but kept going, bandaged up in the barn and we kept running into the woods.

Once in the woods I gave Shifty a transfusion and we heard an engine approaching. One of the military vehicles drove into the forest. We opened fire on them, they blared their horn as they drove past us and stopped about 50m away, got out and started to fire back. They came up on voice comm asking if we could hear them, I responded that if they wanted to leave, we would let them. They continued to fire on us. I had nothing I could do at that distance so I just pulled out my M1911 and shot in their general direction to scare them. Fortunately, Shifty can actually shoot and managed to wipe them all up.

They were a freaking treasure trove of guns, ammo, medicine, and other supplies. The main dude had a DMR, which pretty much assures he was the one taking shots at us in the airport, and when he saw us running he got his buddies and came after us. He paid for it. We really messed up their truck, but it could still drive, so we limped it back to our car, swapped over the copious amounts of gear, and booked it back home.

All in all a productive evening, even more so than expected. The best part is, we were being completely non-hostile, we were more than happy to wait our turn but they had to get greedy.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Mortis and I found a working ATV today, conveniently spawned in perfect repair, and with 3/4 of a tank of gas. I managed to drive it safely down one of the steeper mountains in the game, then flip it completely while driving slowly on flat road due to a tiny pile of garbage touching a wheel :-D

We also found a medical crate with a heap of blood bags and morphine, so combined with the ammo we still have from the ammo box that matched both our long guns the other day, we're loving things! Still, we'll probably come check out Taviana with you guys for a bit at some point shortly.
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Still, we'll probably come check out Taviana with you guys for a bit at some point shortly.
Well we could definitely use the company, we've definitely made enemies there.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:53 am

Indeed. Any word (Betteh?) on whether those guys we tangled with last night came back?
-Boss Llama

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 am

Betteh and I were driving around preparing to get gear to go to the other island last night for some fun when we saw a car in the distance (we were in two separate vehicles). Betteh told me to get out and take shots at it so I did. Then they started driving towards us and I put all the SAW bullets I could into it as it drove straight for me, Betteh getting hit by my bullets in the process and breaking his leg, until the two guys pull up next to me and get out. I lit one up with my SAW but the other one seemed to have logged out before we could get him. I think betteh said the one I killed was one of the guys who had killed you guys earlier.
Also everyone has magic backpacks and now spawns with super good weapons and everything.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Just so everyone is aware, all the strangeness with skins and weapons was the work of a hacker, and to undo the damage the server had to be rolled back to either yesterday or the day before (the post wasn't clear). So essentially, we lost literally everything we did yesterday, including a bunch of good guns and vehicles.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm

D'oh!

Well, thanks for the info. I'm guessing I'll probably be starting in newbie spawn again :-D
-Boss Llama

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:D'oh!

Well, thanks for the info. I'm guessing I'll probably be starting in newbie spawn again :-D
Yeah, you probably never connected as of the reset.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Adventures of today so far,
I decided to log in by myself and see what might still be in our base after the rollback, log in under a tree near the base. First thing I hear is a door close and at least 2 guys in a VODNIK at the gas station right by our camp. I threw a few SAW rounds at them and logged out as they started to drive towards me. I'll check up later to see if there was any mishap.

EDIT:
No mishap, found a camping tent and threw it in one of the other ones as well as about 5 makarov mags

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Found out today that the Taviana Grand server was rolled back again...

To March 11th.

They did an eleven day rollback. Ugh.

In other news, I am now in possession of a DayZ server. Stand by for details.
-Boss Llama

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Found out today that the Taviana Grand server was rolled back again...

To March 11th.

Well there goes pretty much all the work we ever did on that server heh.

ShiftyDevil
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ShiftyDevil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Found out today that the Taviana Grand server was rolled back again...

To March 11th.

Guess it wasn't the groups of players with been having skirmishes with that we needed to worry about destroying our camp

EDIT: And Alize are you taking contributions for server costs? Also what map are you thinking about going with?