darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Halloween Gift Farming

Post by darklin0 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:56 am

I have one account but I can let it idle from 2 am to 5 pm PST everyday. If you need more people send me a message through steam.
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

Nezer
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Nezer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:56 am

I have my main account my idle account and two computers so when u need help send me an invite.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 am

I have access to 3 accounts. I can let 1 idle at the start. Then add the other 2 around 9 pm vst.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 am

I've got three accounts and three computers, ready to rock. If I get my laptop fixed soon, I'll be able to add a fourth, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Give me a buzz, because I'm all over this - definitely an item collector.
-Boss Llama

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 am

With this many people, we might even be able to set up 2 servers, and cut it back to 1 overnight.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:21 pm

I was looking into this too. I basically just setup a server and used sandboxie to run 9 instances of tf2 in text mode on it. Down side is some computers won't handle that many instances.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm

OmgOhnoes wrote:I was looking into this too. I basically just setup a server and used sandboxie to run 9 instances of tf2 in text mode on it. Down side is some computers won't handle that many instances.
If you have the paid version of sandboxie yes, if you have the free version it'll only do 1 extra instance.

As for handling multiple instances you just use the launch options to put it in text-only mode and join servers via console commands. Text-only mode uses almost no resources.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 pm

sell me your doubles... im out of town and cant collect. looking for some of the fly items for the engie.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Very good points, if we have a steady number over 20 it would make good sense to start a second server and increase our yield.

OK the server is now up and we're ready to roll.

I ask that you please only join to actively hunt if you are going to leave your computer(s) idling all night long. Also please don't share the server info with anyone outside of this thread.

I'm going to keep a list of who idles all night so I can make sure to share some gifts. How many I'm able to share with idlers of course will really depend on how many people idle plus how late I'm able to stay up collecting. Please bear with me on this and let me know if you have suggestions.

<message me for server info>

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 am

One_Medic_Army wrote:
OmgOhnoes wrote:I was looking into this too. I basically just setup a server and used sandboxie to run 9 instances of tf2 in text mode on it. Down side is some computers won't handle that many instances.
If you have the paid version of sandboxie yes, if you have the free version it'll only do 1 extra instance.

As for handling multiple instances you just use the launch options to put it in text-only mode and join servers via console commands. Text-only mode uses almost no resources.
You are correct except TF2 isn't the issue in text mode, it's the 10 steam instances on one PC plus server which eat up memory. It's doable but when an event happens it takes a while for it to filter through the rest of the consoles since it's CPU intensive. I have had random timeouts because of this especially if i'm doing anything else while it happens. Thankfully this doesn't screw up the drop as once you've had 10 players the drops still seem to occur down to having even 8 players.

Another upside is the boss doesn't show up unless you actually have the consoles join a team. But it means you have to cap to get to the underworld or use a noclip cheat to get haunted gifts.

In any event, it is working and i don't have to worry about people on the server doing cheap kills. The only farming server i've tolerated was the one we were on because of the freeze command but people are seriously irritating on it going AFK when their turn is coming up.

I found it is best to collect gifts on another PC though simply to not add more load than is necessary on the PC running the rest of the instances. It's worked fine and i've only ran it for an hour last night and it's paid itself off vs queuing on a farming server.

If anyone wants details PM me it's relatively easy to setup, just a little time consuming (couple of hours).

Nezer
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Nezer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 am

Can someone pm the server info

wedge
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by wedge » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 am

i tried to idle before class started, but i forgot the pw. could someone msg me as well?

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm

My bad guys, password is the same with just a "2" at the end now. It was getting really crowded so I changed it.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:37 pm

I'd be willing to be a late night/early morning gatherer. I don't go to bed until 7 so I'm sure I'd cover the time everyone else is asleep.

Nezer
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Nezer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Server needs more bodies and changed back to the previous map.