Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

minecraft hosting services

Post by Plinko » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:08 am

So, my daughter and her friends at school are getting into Minecraft (again).

I am thinking of getting a private server hosted for her to play with her friends as we're not super comfortable with her playing in some rando public server.
But the stuff I see online about renting them is mostly advertising stuff so not sure I can trust it.

Appreciate any suggestions about services, plugins, what have you. I haven't really touched Minecraft in years so I have no idea anymore.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: minecraft hosting services

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:24 am

When I've run a Minecraft or FTB/Tekkit server for us, I've been using Creeperhost (creeperhost.net).

For a small basic MC server it's pretty affordable (gets much pricier if you need the specs for heavy mods), they have responsive support that seems to understand what is going on with the actual game files, and there are specials pretty regularly that'll give you a discount of varying proportions. The web interface is also pretty straightforward and easy to use, with very few problems on the configuration front that weren't my own fault due to running 120+ mods at once.

In terms of plug-ins, their stuff is all just "select from the drop list, it installs itself, you're ready to play." Restarts and such, if needed, are single click, and there's a web console if you want to run commands and such from the back end without opening up the server itself to getting messed up by users. I've been happy enough with them to use them on and off for more than 5 years.

The only complication I can recall running into was that because they are a UK-based company, my credit card once decided to block an automatic payment due to it being of foreign origin, but one phone call to the CC folks and that was resolved for good.
-Boss Llama

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 am

Ive heard good things about these peeps: https://sparkedhost.com/

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:35 pm

I am trying creeperhost, it was easy to get going for sure. Haven't had time to actually play on it yet, so we'll see!
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:40 pm

TV5 is at Host Havoc.