Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Feed the Beast - Next iteration?

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 pm

Alrighty gang! I'm going to try and reset the Feed the Beast server Friday night, November 1st! I'm not sure 100% exactly what time, but I expect I'll start working on it between 5-6pm Eastern time, and will bring it up as soon as I can afterwards.

I'm going to attempt to set it up as Biospheres (which I do find quite interesting), and I'll aim for some of those extra biomes. No promises there, since the configs can be finicky when it comes to server start-up, but I'll definitely give it a go. I'll post an announcement formally when it is up and going!
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:24 am

Let me know if you want a copy of the config file I did manage to get working.

wintrysmerf
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by wintrysmerf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Bring back FTB! or similar modpack

I need somewhere to dump some time and I am sure there are others here with similar needs.

Recently I started playing Dungeons, dragons, and spaceships. It is kinda hard, but it's complicated progression tree would severely slow ADP's ability to break a server. It might lend its self to more cooperative user play or something.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:46 pm

wintrysmerf wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm
It is kinda hard, but it's complicated progression tree would severely slow ADP's ability to break a server. It might lend its self to more cooperative user play or something.

:lol:

Yes! A wonderful time for FTB. CoronaVille

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm

wintrysmerf wrote:
...but it's complicated progression tree would severely slow ADP's ability to break a server.
I resent that implication good sir! It will be a cold day in heck when a FTB server can be stable enough to survive my stupidity!!!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I could also use a new FTB server and some old friends to get me through these times.

Maybe we can try another terrain generation type.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Hey there - sorry for my delayed reply.

I'm also interested in getting some FTB going again. It's a bit pricey for a server that will run the available 1.17 pack unfortunately, and I'm not seeing any good current sales, but I'll keep an eye out. Definitely good to have friends and distractions in our present situation.
-Boss Llama

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:26 am

Hey gang!

A new Feed the Beast server will be coming up this weekend! I'll post the server info here as soon as we have it available.

The main reason, besides Potato-based skullduggery, why we've experienced so many crashes with FTB is that it is extremely greedy for hard drive space. As the HDD runs out of space, the server crashes. A lot. Because of this, there are a couple things we'd like to make folks aware of:

1) We will be retaining very limited server back-ups, since those take up lots of space. If I can get the settings right, we'll probably have just one back-up per day, and only one day's file will be stored. This is compared with every two hours, which is the default. Apologies in advance if we end up needing to restore - there may be some roll-back, but it's one of the main ways we can try to increase stability so crashes don't happen as much.

2) Please do not travel super far away for no reason. If we could limit our roving to, let's say, 8k in any given direction, that would be deeply appreciated. Minecraft doesn't really have a practical limit to the size of the world, and it makes for extremely large files that result in the server running out of space. If we limit ourselves to not going beyond 8000m in any given coordinate, that still gives us 256 square km to work with - more than enough for even the largest FTB projects (and I know a thing or two about large projects!). Similarly, please don't create lots of unnecessary dimensions. Feel free to enjoy the ones that exist, but if there is some mod that allows personal dimension creation... kindly go easy on it.

3) In the event that we still run out of space and start crashing like mad, we may simply need to wipe and restart! Much of the fun in FTB is the build up of new things - it gets to be easy mode eventually - so just keep that in mind if things start seeming like they're too unstable. Hopefully that won't be the case, but if it happens... be aware!

We can look forward to some new FTB action soon!
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks!

We doing anything unique this with server set up? Like a unique terrain generation type again?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am

Guardian wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 am
We doing anything unique this with server set up? Like a unique terrain generation type again?
I'll take a look at those, but will likely start off with a basic Biomes-O-Plenty world. Some of the others definitely encourage movement out over a broad area (like the biospheres - gotta spread to find usable terrain). I'll do some testing in SP after work this evening to see if there are any other options that might work. That said, if we go through a couple resets over time, we can cycle through some other worlds once we have a good idea of how the baseline performs on this set-up.
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 pm

I looked at my old list and I think Rare Cities + Biomes a plenty would be a safe choice if we want to do something new. That essentially creates a Biomes-a-plenty but adds in a couple cities with long highways inbetween.

If we find a "starter city" it should be relatively easy to keep the server size limited... I think.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:42 am

For this initial one, I'm going to set it with a basic Biomes O Plenty map, to get things started. Rare Cities + Biomes is not a setting that exists in this iteration, and the Cities + BOP mode is literally still a single immense city covering the globe, with the flora shoved between the yards simply exhibiting some slight variance.

If this one proves stable, I'll experiment with settings to try and find something that blends the two comfortably! Working on getting the server set up now :-) I'll post an announcement, and shoutbox it, when it's up and running!
-Boss Llama

Quandary
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Quandary » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 pm

ADevilishPotato wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm
wintrysmerf wrote:
...but it's complicated progression tree would severely slow ADP's ability to break a server.
I resent that implication good sir! It will be a cold day in heck when a FTB server can be stable enough to survive my stupidity!!!
It has been (4) days since the last horrific server crash... :icon_mrgreen2:

... though _technically_ the fact that we have a quantum quarry running full tilt already _might_ be considered "breaking" the server.